Grow 2018

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Grow 2018

Postby woodgreenspur on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:21 pm

DasNutNock wrote:
Not from my experience - I applied for a space at the two allotment charities in my home town and both offered me a space within an hour of me emailing them. Got our plot a few days later.

In Haringey,where i live there's a waiting list according to the council website.Depends on where you live i suppose
woodgreenspur

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:34 pm

I have Carolina Reapers now sprouting in my kitchen.

With the sun, they're going to start shooting now hopefully. Still in the same small pot until they are a bit bigger, then going to transfer each shoot to a bigger pot on their own and continue through the summer before the frosts come in.

And, yes, I have seen the report on the Thunderclap Headaches :D
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:55 pm

woodgreenspur wrote:In Haringey,where i live there's a waiting list according to the council website.Depends on where you live i suppose

Fair play - bit further out of town, where I live.

That said, you could do a lot worse than to bombard whoever administers the allotments with persistent requests for availability. Might help you move up the ladder a bit, even if it's just to shut you up.
DasNutNock

Postby peter49uk on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:45 pm

woodgreenspur wrote:Don't know whether its an age thing,but lately i've started fancying the idea of an allotment.
Very hard to get in my area though,by all accounts.

Hi can I suggest having a walk over to your local allotments and ask if there is a secretary or committee to talk to about any plots going spare.
peter49uk

Postby Rocketron on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:54 pm

woodgreenspur wrote:Don't know whether its an age thing,but lately i've started fancying the idea of an allotment.
Very hard to get in my area though,by all accounts.

DasNutNock wrote:Not from my experience - I applied for a space at the two allotment charities in my home town and both offered me a space within an hour of me emailing them. Got our plot a few days later.

That's probably because you live in a very middle class area where , a few years ago , having an allotment was a status symbol. When they found out it needs a lot of work, many bailed out,
Rocketron

Postby vmixture on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:58 pm

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:I have Carolina Reapers now sprouting in my kitchen.

With the sun, they're going to start shooting now hopefully. Still in the same small pot until they are a bit bigger, then going to transfer each shoot to a bigger pot on their own and continue through the summer before the frosts come in.

And, yes, I have seen the report on the Thunderclap Headaches :D

I read this and it reminded me that I had totally forgotten to reply to your whats app message.

Good luck with the chillies, Encona are doing a limited edition sauce using the reapers!

https://i0.wp.com/gifts-4-you.com/wp-co ... mepage.png
vmixture

Postby hammerdivone on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:58 pm

Rocketron wrote:That's probably because you live in a very middle class area where , a few years ago , having an allotment was a status symbol. When they found out it needs a lot of work, many bailed out,

That's a bit unfair Ron. I worked for the Local Authority where Dan lives and whilst there is a large amount of wealth in the area there is also a fair few Council Houses as well.
hammerdivone

Postby FreeWheeling on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:31 am

Basingstoke are terrible on allotment allocation , there is a waiting list of over 400 and yet many plots remain unallocated for years
FreeWheeling

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 am

Rocketron wrote:That's probably because you live in a very middle class area where , a few years ago , having an allotment was a status symbol. When they found out it needs a lot of work, many bailed out,

I have only met a handful of other allotment-keepers so far, and they all seemed nice enough - far from the terrible money-obsessed people we've encountered over the years. Happy to answer my questions and just generally pleasant types, pottering about & clearly enjoying their space.

I was just surprised that we were able to secure a plot as quickly as we were - I'd always been of the impression that allotments were gold dust, and you were always looking at a 10 year waiting list. I suspect if you establish a relationship with whoever administers them, you'll be able to bypass some of the red tape.
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 am

FreeWheeling wrote:Basingstoke are terrible on allotment allocation , there is a waiting list of over 400 and yet many plots remain unallocated for years

That is pretty inexcusable - are they administered by the council or a local charity? Could you step in and help if they're struggling?
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:12 am

hammerdivone wrote:That's a bit unfair Ron. I worked for the Local Authority where Dan lives and whilst there is a large amount of wealth in the area there is also a fair few Council Houses as well.

:thup:

True enough. Shame there aren't a few more, and perhaps fewer gated mansions...
DasNutNock

Postby peter49uk on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:36 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:Basingstoke are terrible on allotment allocation , there is a waiting list of over 400 and yet many plots remain unallocated for years

This is why I suggested a personal visit. My son is the secretary on an allotment admittedly not near where your talking about, but he lets the gardens as they call them and makes sure they are used correctly or said person is shown the gate so to speak. They have a committee with regular meetings and they run a good allotment.
peter49uk

Postby FreeWheeling on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:51 pm

DasNutNock wrote:That is pretty inexcusable - are they administered by the council or a local charity? Could you step in and help if they're struggling?

Council mate, and I no longer can, just moved 70 clicks SW to Salisbury so I have just given my one up, I now need to get on the local waiting list
FreeWheeling

Postby jastons on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:33 am

My Basil, Parsley, Oregano and Coriander seeds have all germinated :scarfer: but my Rosemary has yet to show any signs of life.
jastons

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Planted spuds, fennel, radishes, peas (under canes) and some wild daisies yesterday. I’ll be surprised if we see anything grow, but will be interesting...
DasNutNock

Postby ereford ammer on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:55 pm

If you want an allotment now is the time to apply as some allotment holders will not be renewing for one reason or another. I got a full size 250 square metre plot but on really heavy clay. It will take a lot of time to get the soil right.
ereford ammer

Postby peter49uk on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Good day for sowing so put my white and red shallots in today, a line of spring onion but trying seed tapes with these this year.
Took the top half out of one of my tubs an replaced it with compost and sowed carrot seed again this way as had good results from this last year.
Peas just breaking through but expecting them to take off in this weather, not before time.
peter49uk

Postby FreeWheeling on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Tubs are the mutts for carrots, also raise the tubs if you can so the tops are above 1m , carrot fly apparently dont fly that high, not sure if true but it worked for me
FreeWheeling

Postby the polecat on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:59 pm

I put in my potatoes at the weekend. Maris Pipers and Desirees. I've also got some Little Gem lettuces, pak choi and salad leaves in. Quite frankly I haven't got a clue what I'm doing!
the polecat

Postby jastons on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:35 pm

I went to check on my herbs in the greenhouse tonight and found a few ants running around. I've read online that they probably won't harm my plants but I would still prefer it if they weren't there. Semolina seems like a good method - the ants take the semolina back to the nest, the Queen is unable to digest it and explodes.
jastons

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug