Grow 2018

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Grow 2018

Postby prophet:marginal on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:55 pm

jastons wrote:So I picked up a cheap greenhouse today, £24.99 from Aldi. I also got some seedlings - Bell Peppers, Chilli Peppers and Tomatoes and Seeds - Oregano, Rosemary, Basil, Parsley and Coriander.

I'm waiting for the weather to improve before putting the greenhouse together meanwhile the Seeds and Seedlings are sitting on the kitchen windowsill.

I hope your cheap selection last longer than the one we bought, a few years back.

Easily assembled, sure, but it went down under the first concerted breeze.
prophet:marginal

Postby jastons on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:04 pm

If it lasts until Autumn then I will be reasonably happy. I want to build a big greenhouse (6 x 8 or 10) but it's been a few years since I've grown anything plus we are hoping to move house some time this year so any serious time or money spent on a permanent structure could be a waste.
jastons

Postby MarylandHammer on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:46 am

Planted out back Tomatoes, Watermelon, Onions, Potatoes, Cilantro, Mint, Apple tree, Green Pepper, strawberries, Aubergine (eggplant - soon) and have the grape and blackberries left over from last year.

Peach tree seems to be flowering and I'd like to add a lemon tree too.

The challenge in Texas is different to you guys - my challenge will be making sure they have enough water and not the opposite.

I've always enjoyed growing but as I get older enjoy it even more. It is sad I watch gardeners world on my fire stick on a regular basis???
MarylandHammer

Location: on the freedom bus to nowhere city. And we haven't even told our parents what time we'll be back.

Postby Polaroid on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:55 am

We've had such wet winters here in Plymouth for the last few years it's probably a good idea if I grow rice this year!

Will be growing a variety of herbs, potatoes, salad crops, tomatoes and chilli in containers.
Amazing how much spring onion you can grow in an old cat litter tray.
Polaroid

Postby view from the shires on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:13 pm

Dan, if you can cut the turf out into strips and stack it grass sided together in alternate layers it will make excellent soil to refresh your plot next year. You will then get 2 years of what is called virgin soil. Plants never do better than when planted in this - no matter how much fertilizer you use.

We are way behind at the moment - the wife looked at last years diary and we are already 6 weeks later than last year with most of the planting.

I don't really get to do much on the growing side, more the labour part of the deal, but I do have a Japanese Umbrella Pine to plant in my side of the garden later this year.
view from the shires

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:22 pm

Bit of progress

DasNutNock

Postby jevs on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:01 pm

Nice one Dan, soil looks good. I see Tescos are now doing a few veg seedlings....carrots, beetroot, chard, broad beans, peas and possibly a few other bits. Plenty of time to sow speedy veg plus to get beans, courgettes, sweetcorn, mangetout sown.
jevs

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Cheers Jevs, will be take a butchers tomorrow :thup:
DasNutNock

Postby mushy on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:08 pm

DasNutNock wrote:For real? How high do I need to stack them?

You start with just one tyre, and then when the flowers reach the top you add more tyres, it encourages growth, so I am told.
As for Glyphosate based weedkiller, its horrible stuff and should be banned.
Does more harm then good.
mushy

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:20 pm

So the 3x3 piles of tyres we’ve stacked up already aren’t the idea? Bum.
DasNutNock

Postby mushy on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:22 pm

DasNutNock wrote:So the 3x3 piles of tyres we’ve stacked up already aren’t the idea? Bum.

No, think its fine, read below -
http://www.instructables.com/id/Grow-Potatoes-In-Tires/

My method was an old one I may well have dreamt up, its been about 10 years since I last grew them, they still come back every year though.
mushy

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Nice one :thup:
DasNutNock

Postby jevs on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:12 pm

mushy wrote:You start with just one tyre, and then when the flowers reach the top you add more tyres, it encourages growth, so I am told.
As for Glyphosate based weedkiller, its horrible stuff and should be banned.
Does more harm then good.

When growing spuds in containers, you need to start with about 6" of soil and probably 3 seed potatoes. Add another 6" of compost and keep watered when needed. As the potato shoots reach around 4-6" high, cover them with more compost. Repeat and then allow to flower. When the flowers die, they're ready for digging up. Keep them watered throughout and chuck a bit of sacking over them if frost is predicted.

As for Glyphosate....got any proof on that Mushy?....and i mean proper proof, not some shyte from friends of the earth or the local W.I.?

Edit, forgot to say that the reason for earthing up spuds is to stop any developing spuds from being too near the surface and therefore going green (poisonous)
jevs

Postby peter49uk on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:36 pm

This site was recommended on here

http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Vegetable ... sfLW1rTWf0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ordered all my seeds from here but noticed they also do plants
peter49uk

Postby mushy on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:33 pm

jevs wrote:
As for Glyphosate....got any proof on that Mushy?....and i mean proper proof, not some shyte from friends of the earth or the local W.I.?

Nope only what I read.
You got any proof otherwise?
Shame you have to resort to a few low level insults though.
mushy

Postby jevs on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:49 am

mushy wrote:Nope only what I read.
You got any proof otherwise?
Shame you have to resort to a few low level insults though.

Sorry mate, didn't mean to have a pop.

No I don't have any proof except that i've been using it for years (20+) on all situations including spraying invasive water lillys in fully stocked ornamental and natural ponds as well as in the garden at work, at home and on the allotment.

As with any chemicals, it's used where and when needed and if i can get away with hoeing, i'll hoe. The garden i look after at work is thriving in wildlife...bees, butterflies, dragonflies, birds, foxes, amphibians etc etc.

Anyway, not sure where i'm going to be living in the next few months but thought sod it and bout some seeds and seedlings yesterday....dwarf french beans, chantennay carrots, golden beetroot, leeks, spring onions, courgettes, sweetcorn as well as a few tomato and parsnip seedlings. Going to be a busy day!!!
jevs

Postby jastons on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:02 am

I put the greenhouse together yesterday and moved my tomato and bell pepper seedlings outside. Hopefully the extra sunlight will make up for the dip in temperature overnight.
jastons

Postby mushy on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:24 pm

jevs wrote:Sorry mate, didn't mean to have a pop.

No need to apologise at all, I clearly got out of the bed the wrong side on Saturday.
Thanks anyway.
mushy

Postby woodgreenspur on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:21 am

Don't know whether its an age thing,but lately i've started fancying the idea of an allotment.
Very hard to get in my area though,by all accounts.
woodgreenspur

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:37 am

woodgreenspur wrote:Don't know whether its an age thing,but lately i've started fancying the idea of an allotment.
Very hard to get in my area though,by all accounts.

Not from my experience - I applied for a space at the two allotment charities in my home town and both offered me a space within an hour of me emailing them. Got our plot a few days later.
DasNutNock

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug