Grow 2018

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Grow 2018

Postby hammerdivone on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:37 pm

Given Dan's new found interest in growing his own, thought we better start this one off.

Not sure about anyone else but the allotment at the moment is a quagmire! All I've got in is one row of spuds so far, although the greenhouse is full of seeds in trays/pots.

Fortunately I rotavated and manured the whole plot at the end of last year so it's ready to go once it's dry enough.
hammerdivone

Re: Grow 2018

Postby jastons on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:56 am

I was planning on buying a small greenhouse today but with Snow forecast for today and tomorrow, I don't know if I will.

I have been looking forward to this thread and will follow with interest.
jastons

Postby prophet:marginal on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:10 am

Yes, I am also less than pleased with the two cold snaps we've had since February. I bought and plumbed in a clematis last year and it actually flowered twice up the garden fence; lovely big purple and white flowers.

This year, it was so mild in January, that the new green shoots started showing, only to all be destroyed by the first bit of snow we had.

It rallied afterwards and we had two fairly long new growths, again until the snow returned.

Now, all we've got are the remains of those growths, dead on otherwise twig-like remains.

Grew some nasturtiums from seed a month or so ago, but their still in starter pots in the porch.

Will go in with thyme, parsley and coriander in garden pots in due course.
prophet:marginal

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:54 am

Here’s our little plot. Couple runs to the tip to get shot of the tyres, rubble and assorted junk left behind, then I’ll dig a couple of beds at the front. Sandy soil, apparently, good for spuds and parsnips. What should I be planting now?

DasNutNock

Postby vietnammer on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:53 am

Being a lazy toe-rag and 'getting a geezer in' to clear and rotavate the patch of land at the end of our garden. It's about half as big as the garden itself. Have to make an entrance through the fence to the forest footpath the other side so he can get his gear in. Had a very reasonable quote of 200 nicker for what he reckons is a day's work. No idea what I'm going to put there. Might consider a greenhouse/small tunnel cos I fancy growing aubergines and toms.

It's also time to extend the raspberry/gooseberry patch in the pond I filled in.Couple of plants from a 'pound' type shop did extremely well last year. Other half is unwilling but I'm trying to convince her to get more (I'm abroad). Thing is, the garden got another complete coating of snow last night so I'm not sure if we shouldn't hold off with the berries for a while and re-fertilise the soil.

Got three plum trees that, after three years of no fruit, went mental last year. Trouble is, I didn't get one shagging ripe plum because all her Iranian mates came round and scoffed them (with salt!) when they were green. It's how the weird barstewards like them, apparently. :evil:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Coops on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:48 pm

I am not sure what it says about me but I thought this thread was going to be about growing something else.
Last edited by Coops on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coops

Postby peter49uk on Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:19 pm

Only grow a bit in the garden but I have sowed a row of Broad Beans, Peas and Beetroot last Thursday, what all this wet will do to them? still they have two chances.
Bought some Shallots today hoping for another successful pickling session later in the year.
Will also be growing more Carrots in tubs again like I did last year after seeing no Carrot root fly but I will change the compost.
peter49uk

Postby jevs on Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:00 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Here’s our little plot. Couple runs to the tip to get shot of the tyres, rubble and assorted junk left behind, then I’ll dig a couple of beds at the front. Sandy soil, apparently, good for spuds and parsnips. What should I be planting now?

Parsnips are sods to grow from seed mate. Most garden centres should be selling pre-germinated veg. It's often best to get Parsnips and Leeks from there. Time to get onion sets in, you can probably get away with first early (salad) potatoes and then onto main crops, get some carrot seeds plus beetroot (I grow the golden on which tastes fab but you don't get the staining). In a couple of weeks, get courgettes, peas and beans plus sweetcorn in....preferably under glass if you can.

Sandy soil is very free draining and a good early soil but it is a poor soil (nutritionally) so get some organic stuff into it and it's also very free draining so organic **** will help retain moisture. You may have to water more.

Is there anything you want to grow and anything you don't?
jevs

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Cheers Jevs, sound advice there. Will follow your lead on all fronts. Think we want to go for easy stuff that isn't high maintenance to begin with, if that makes sense.

How do I get shot of a large hazel free root/stump? Long handled axe?
DasNutNock

Postby hammerdivone on Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:22 pm

Agree with that jevs.

We've found potatoes do grow well, along with onions, runner beans, broad beans, butternut squash, beetroot and sweetcorn. All of which Dan you can buy from the garden centre this year as young plants (or seed onions/potatoes). That will give you time to sort it all out.

The sooner you get your spuds and onions in the better though.

However, you've got your work cut out getting that clear and ready to plant. A rotavator would certainly help once you've cleared all the crap out. I would also be tempted to put some weedkiller on the grass a few weeks before you dig it over (you can always go organic after that!)

Leave the lavender in as it's great at attracting bees which will help pollinate everything else.

And as jevs says, with sandy soil you really need to add a lot of manure etc. to improve the fertility.
hammerdivone

Postby jevs on Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:05 pm

New allotments are hard work...no denying that.

Personally, i'd be digging that over for about an hour a day if you have time. As HD says, it might be worth spraying the whole site with a Glyphosate based weedkiller. If not, you'll have to mark out the beds and where you want the paths and then dig it over, removing all grass and weeds. Hard work but well worth it.

It might take you a year until you have a decent plot to work with.

However, get a few bits dug and get some bits in. Don't grow stuff for fun, just grow what you're going to eat. Don't forget a few hardy annual flowers for cut flower.

Large Hazel.....probably brute force Dan....or get a young fit lad to do it for £20.

Easy stuff = spring onions, beetroot, carrots, leeks, onion sets, raddish, don't forget strawberries and other soft fruit.

Peas, beans, cougettes and squash will need feeding....i grew all of those in pure cow **** and they loved it.
jevs

Postby the polecat on Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:11 pm

DasNut: I'm no expert (hoping to grow my first veg this year), but I heard that tyres can be used to plant potatoes in. So you might want to spare them from the dump.
the polecat

Postby DrVenk on Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:57 pm

Coops wrote:I am not sue what it says about me but I thought this thread was going to be about growing something else.

Bat Guano for the flowering stage :scarfer:

It's actually a very good fertiliser for fruit/veg too.
DrVenk

Postby Rocketron on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:37 pm

the polecat wrote:DasNut: I'm no expert (hoping to grow my first veg this year), but I heard that tyres can be used to plant potatoes in. So you might want to spare them from the dump.

Exactly what I wanted to mention. Keep the tyres for spuds.
Rocketron

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:42 pm

For real? How high do I need to stack them?
DasNutNock

Postby jastons on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:43 pm

So I picked up a cheap greenhouse today, £24.99 from Aldi. I also got some seedlings - Bell Peppers, Chilli Peppers and Tomatoes and Seeds - Oregano, Rosemary, Basil, Parsley and Coriander.

I'm waiting for the weather to improve before putting the greenhouse together meanwhile the Seeds and Seedlings are sitting on the kitchen windowsill.
jastons

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:07 pm

Nothing this year,
Just moved to Salisbury so going on the allotment waiting list
Ironically my back garden looks like a perfect allotment patch as it is awaiting turf
FreeWheeling

Postby Rocketron on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:26 pm

DasNutNock wrote:For real? How high do I need to stack them?

As they are should be fine Dan.
Plant your spuds in about 3"" of compost, as they grow add more compost . By the time you've filled both tyres with compost you should have enough for a good crop of spuds.
Rocketron

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Its about that time of year that supermarkets start knocking out big buckets of chicken ****, get as much as you can chaps, the stuff is top manure, once used you can use the buckets for nettle soup, any stinging nettles you have put them in the bucket , top up with water and leave for a month, tatties love it, ****ing stinks mind
FreeWheeling

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Cheers, gents - Pirelli spuds it is. Updates to follow :thup:
DasNutNock

Next

Return to The Snug