Grow 2018

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Grow 2018

Postby FreeWheeling on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:48 pm

If I remember correctly wireworm feeds on grass roots so get rid of any grass in the area but they can take years to get rid of the little shits
FreeWheeling

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:55 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:If I remember correctly wireworm feeds on grass roots so get rid of any grass in the area but they can take years to get rid of the little shits

That sounds about right - the previous allotment tenants used it as an auxhillary garden because they lived on a houseboat, so it was all lawn. We manually dug beds, but I don’t think we got all the grass out, so I’d expect it to be years grass roots are dead.

Ach well, it’s a learning experience...
DasNutNock

Postby jastons on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:55 pm

Does anyone else practice 'no dig' gardening?

https://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/no
jastons

Postby the polecat on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Jastons:

Re. Charles Dowding, my brother-in-law is working for him this year. I'm a complete novice to growing veggies and take all my advice from him, so yeah I guess I practice "no dig".
the polecat

Postby CMNinja on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:27 pm

I need advice. We've moved into a house with a big garden in three sections. The old boy who lived here before us had obviously been a keen a gardener and grower but the whole place has gone massively overgrown. We're concentrating on the main 'pretty' garden bits at the moment to try and bring them back from Apocalypse Now levels of overgrowth but the bottom section is a veg patch which we're seriously neglecting. We've already had leeks, asparagus, rhubarb and strawberries from down there and there are currants, raspberries and i'm sure much more to come. However, we arrived too late to get the beets and chard and things harvested. As we've focussed on the main gardens, the veg section is now a combination of dense weed, a forest of rhubarb and what appear to be asparagus 'trees'. Should we just gut the whole thing and start again next year or can some of these plants stand a year of neglect? (The house is also a shitpit so time not spent on the main garden is spent on the house, relegating the veg patch further down the pecking order.) Any top tips to help the good bits at least survive and stop the unwanted bits going out of control?
CMNinja

Postby FreeWheeling on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:59 am

Sounds like a good cut back , and you already have yourself a whole stack of compost material
FreeWheeling

Postby CMNinja on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:17 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:Sounds like a good cut back , and you already have yourself a whole stack of compost material

Thanks. Strimmer and scythe tomorrow then. I need to do something with it as it is becoming a bit of a pain in the bum.
CMNinja

Postby Polaroid on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:30 am

CMN.
If you and yours like asparagus FFS don't get rid of that bit of the plot if you can help it.
A new run can take years to develop. I've failed in the past (two elongated attempts spanning six years). I'm envious of your asparagus but not your overall work involved in house and garden.
Polaroid

Postby Tenbury on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 am

Going on from the no dig stuff, if your reclaiming an overgrown area, and you've given yourself a decent time period, it's not too bad clearing a large area (strimmer ,etc) then covering large areas with black plastic/old carpet etc, and leaving that for a few months (or longer if you've loads of other stuff to do) . This mulch will kill a lot of perennial weeds, the annual stuff that comes with cultivation you can deal will with your hoe.
Tenbury

Postby FreeWheeling on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:55 pm

That was the way I cleared the allotment when we got it, 100sqM of heavy duty weed mat, covered most , then worked on small sections, clearing properly with 1 foot deep earth removal and putting the soil through a sieve to remove most of the rooted crap, when replacing soil mixed in a load of compost, bloody hard work to start with but the results are worth it
FreeWheeling

Previous

Return to The Snug