Grow 2018

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Grow 2018

Postby Tenbury on Wed May 30, 2018 7:26 am

Thanks, that saves a bit of work. I'll give an update on them in the autumn!
I quite like growing stuff off the ground (strawberries etc) harder for the slugs, and easier on my back.
Tenbury

Postby FreeWheeling on Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 pm

Got my herb garden done at least, found some Thai mint which is bloody lovely
1 x apple tree in 100l pot
1 x plumb tree in 100l pot
1 x fig tree in 50l pot
plus the Mrs has invested in some climbers , so some trelis has been put up
plus **** loads of flower plants out the front of which i know none of them, thats her side of things
FreeWheeling

Postby Tenbury on Thu May 31, 2018 10:37 pm

FW, most plums aren't self- fertile ( your Apple will/won't depending on variety) , if your neighbour's got plums and apples,no probs,otherwise you're gonna need get another immense pot!
Tenbury

Postby FreeWheeling on Thu May 31, 2018 10:42 pm

Checked on the ticket thing that was attached and got the self fertile ones :thup:
FreeWheeling

Postby Tenbury on Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:28 am

:thup: ( sorry to be such a smartarse)
BTW, great choice on the figs,never had a fruit tree of any sort that produced so much so quickly....planted 5 years ago @ 1 yr old, currently ('scuse the pun ) carrying over 50 young figs ( double last year).
Tenbury

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:38 am

I have a Carolina Reaper growing in my kitchen. Well, when I say growing, I mean I planted 2x seeds into a pot approx 4" diameter as instructed and let it sit in my West facing kitchen with plenty of sunlight.

Shoot 1 has grown to approximately 1" with 4-5 small leaves and the other shoot is slightly smaller and shunted with only 3 leaves and they have not grown any more in the last month it seems.

Is there something I can do to help them? Should I separate them out into individual pots? Water them more/less, more or less sunlight? Plant food etc?

Cheers
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby Tenbury on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:59 am

RARS,
There'll be people here that grow those things,they may well contradict this,if so ignore what I'm saying,as it's just the general method I would use for putting on peppers ,toms etc.

What you've done is effectively sown in a large pot, using it as I would a seed tray.So now's the time to pot on,(well a bit late,but nevermind,just handle very gently).
Get 2 x. 3inch (can't do metric) pots, fill with multi purpose potting compost eighth of an inch from the top.
Take a butter knife,or similar, and make an indentation in the centre of each pot.
Water the pot which the seedlings are vacating.With the knife cut a square around each plant that you calculate will include it's root system,then with the knife lift the whole thing into the hole you've made in the new pot's compost.(keep touching of leaves to the absolute minimum). Firm compost around the seedlings in the new pot.
They,with luck, will build a good root system in these smaller pots@ about 4inches pot up to a 6 inch,fresh compost etc. Give them light,and water (they will over winter in a light and frost free place,but cut back the water,and watch for whitefly). Good Luck.
Tenbury

Postby peter49uk on Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:02 am

I have 32mm-40mm holes in my veg plot I think the reason are voles anyone dealt with these before.

On the growing side of things, is it really worth messing around with seed sowing, I've had a bad year with germination with the sowing of veg seeds.
But I have obtained some punnets of mixed Brassica plants, green cabbage, red cabbage, cauliflower and savoy as far as I can tell, not seen a mix like this before @ £2 a punnet.
Sent for some brussels these look good and just the other day panicking having sowed runner bean seed three time's purchased a punnet of around 24-30 runner beans streamline about 150mm high £2.
Wasn't going to grow my usual container grown cherry tomatoes due to being away a few times and worried about watering etc, but came across some reasonable plants so purchased some, among them were Red Profusion and these ( Red Profusion ) have to be the best I have grown really bushed out well with plenty of flowers and tomatoes in evidence ,very recommendable.
Happy growing people enjoy.
peter49uk

Postby Rover's returned on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:03 am

Leaves on my beautiful cauliflowers and to a lesser extent Brussels have been eaten to shreds over the course of 2 nights. No idea what it is. Insects or rabbits? I live in the sticks.
Rover's returned

Postby Tenbury on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:37 am

Could be a rabbit ( you'd probably see some droppings,or ground disturbance). Net them or buy a shotgun.
.... "" ...... Larva of the cabbage white butterfly... Pick them off then cover with insect proof netting.
..... "....... Slugs/snails, pop out at night with a torch.Throw them at least 500 yds away or they'll be back.
.... ".........( My best guess) 'kin pidgeons. Especially in Late May/Early June, as they nest early. ...See shotgun as above, or hang something on string that are shiny and twiddle about (I use the kid's mother's CDs, as they're all crap). Believe me,they love all brasicca , and you probably won't have seen them as they're up very early.
Tenbury

Postby Hammers Dad on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Just reading through the thread.

Not doing anything with our plot this year, just going to keep it managed and tidy, fill up on manure etc and sort ourselves out before next year.

jevs wrote:Parsnips are sods to grow from seed mate. Most garden centres should be selling pre-germinated veg. It's often best to get Parsnips and Leeks from there.

We've never had any problems with parsnips from seed.
Seeds watered on a kitchen paper bed in a propagator (plastic things from Homebase is fine) into a dark place for a week or so until they germinate.
We then use toilet role tubes, fill them with soil and stick the germinated seed into. Once they start appearing through the bottom of the tube, we plant out still in the tube. The tube will compost as the parsnip grows. Had some handsome specimens over the years.
Hammers Dad

Postby jastons on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:23 pm

Slugs. Horrible little bastards. That is all.
jastons

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:03 pm

Cheers Tenury.... I'll give that a pop.

Just to clarify, you say 3" pots.... is that diameter? That seems small?
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby Rover's returned on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Thanks Tenners, you're a genius. I've seen a fair few pigeons fly away from that area of the garden. I thought they were after the blackcurrents. It never occurred to me they'd be eating the cauliflowers. Netting now in place. :thup:
Rover's returned

Postby Tenbury on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:26 pm

RARS,
I presumed they were just an inch or so high,if say 3 to 4 inches, then go a 6 inch diameter.(remember you have to pot on as they grow, till you get to about a 9 or 10 inch pot). By putting them in a smaller pot and gradually increasing, the roots grow down, not sideways,and you get a much stronger plant.
You can get pots made of peat or something that degrades easily, then just plant the whole thing in a bigger pot.
BTW, I've met people who's whole life seems to revolve around growing incredibly hot peppers, and little else.
I'm pretty sure they probably spend a great deal of time online, so if you Google about you'll probably get REAL expert advice, far better than mine.
Tenbury

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Trying to work out why the potatoes we planted at the allmotment have been devastated by pests when everyone else’s look pristine and untouched. Also had to remove a couple of shitted nappies that someone had thoughtfully chucked on our plot in the last few days. Thanks for that.
DasNutNock

Postby Rocketron on Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:39 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Trying to work out why the potatoes we planted at the allmotment have been devastated by pests when everyone else’s look pristine and untouched. Also had to remove a couple of shitted nappies that someone had thoughtfully chucked on our plot in the last few days. Thanks for that.

I'm not aware of any pests that attack potatoes. Dan.
Have a chat with the other allotmenteers about what you did when you planted them.
Rocketron

Postby Tenbury on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:51 pm

Eelworm. Classic on a patch not cultivated for some time, or new to cultivation. Commercially dealt with by pretty unpleasant chemicals, far better let the birds,especially winter starlings do it for you. Keep turning the soil over for them, you'll get rid in the end[ first few years go for resistant varieties.]. Good Luck.
Tenbury

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:57 pm

Or wireworm, absolute *****, that will go through the lot
FreeWheeling

Postby Tenbury on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:22 am

^^^^^^ :thup: I regularly get confused(!) Those bastards leave holes, whereas the eelworms leave scabs, you've probably got both, again it's just one of those things that will get better as you cultivate year on year.
I haven't grown spuds in open ground for a few years, but I'm positive there are ,or at least were,resistant varieties.If it really does your head in, grow them in buckets(always worth doing for Christmas anyway).
(Cheapest buckets..... Your local friendly florist, Dutch spray carnations arrive already in black plastic buckets, which they have to dispose of, so they're free.)
Tenbury

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug