The Coffee thread

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

The Coffee thread

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Picked up a Delonghi Bean to Cup machine in their Easter sale, arrived last night. Very impressed so far but still needs a bit of fine tuning, so wondered if anyone had a similar one:

http://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/products/coffee/coffee-makers/automatic-coffee-makers/ecam-23120b-0132213147

Also for general chat about coffee drinking, brewing etc.

Note: If you don't like coffee, think Starbucks is rubbish, prefer tea etc - no one gives a ****, go away.
Hammer1972

Re: The Coffee thread

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:24 pm

Got one of these as a 'free gift' with the last hoover we bought.

Very basic and easy to use, but makes nice strong coffee.

Guatemalan coffee is the flavor of the month in the SH household at the moment, very rich and flavorful.
somerset-hammer

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:30 pm

I have a filter machine too:

The Delonghi is to replace a Nespresso machine which, to be fair, did a decent job for what it was but I was getting a bit fed up with all the capsules and not being able to use decent coffee...plus it's not exactly green.
Hammer1972

Postby GPP on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:42 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:Note: If you don't like coffee, think Starbucks is rubbish, prefer tea etc - no one gives a ****, go away.

I love coffee - it allows me to make very quick decisions on whether a man’s opinion is worth anything.

You’re on the ****er list :wink:
GPP

Postby Tenbury on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Lavazza D'Oro in my little coffee maker, stick it on the hob, all is well.
Tenbury

Postby sendô on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:Note: If you don't like coffee, think Starbucks is rubbish, prefer tea etc - no one gives a ****, go away.

I bloody love coffee. Proper strong stuff, full flavoured, creamy cappucinos, iced lattes in the summer and so on.

Nonetheless, Starbucks is rubbish. In fact I'd say it's ****ing **** and their over priced coffee tastes like fermented donkey cack.

I'd bloody love to get myself a proper barrista machine at home but, alas, I don't have the space nor the spare cash.

My little Nespresso machine that I've had for about 6 years now is decent enough though.
sendô

Postby White Goodman on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Have a Delonghi machine at home and it's great. Much more durable than the thing I had before.

I daren't get one of those things that makes up a massive batch of coffee for the day as I know I'd just drink all of it.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:56 pm

Anyone buy freshly roasted beans? I use these guys:

https://ravecoffee.co.uk/
Hammer1972

Postby Mega Ron on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:58 pm

White Goodman wrote:Have a Delonghi machine at home and it's great. Much more durable than the thing I had before.

I daren't get one of those things that makes up a massive batch of coffee for the day as I know I'd just drink all of it.

That's what I do. Sometimes I have a tad too much and am bouncing about the house a bit.

I like the Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks.
Mega Ron

Postby White Goodman on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Anyone ever been over to Monmouth Coffee Shop near Borough Market?
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:01 pm

sendô wrote:Nonetheless, Starbucks is rubbish. In fact I'd say it's ****ing **** and their over priced coffee tastes like fermented donkey cack.

I much prefer Coffee #1 if there's one around, or failing that a flat white from Costa.
Hammer1972

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:01 pm

White Goodman wrote:Have a Delonghi machine at home and it's great. Much more durable than the thing I had before.

Mega Ron wrote:
That's what I do. Sometimes I have a tad too much and am bouncing about the house a bit.

I like the Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks.

I drank a whole one once, literally gave me the shakes for an hour or so
somerset-hammer

Postby NottingHammer6 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:04 pm

Cafetiere and Taylors coffee for me, any recommendations for good ground coffee?
NottingHammer6

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:10 pm

NottingHammer6 wrote:Cafetiere and Taylors coffee for me, any recommendations for good ground coffee?

Only the fresher the better, if you can find a roaster near you or use an online place like the one I suggested or hasbean - it costs a bit more but definitely worth it.
Hammer1972

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Is it a bean to cup? Have you adjusted the grind settings?
Hammer1972

Postby HalfTimePie on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:43 pm

I have a Nespresso machine as well as a filter one. Much prefer the Nespresso that takes pods.

But the best coffee I have ever had and likely ever to have is out in the States in New Jersey they have this place called Wawa that do their own brands. Their Hazelnut blend is out of this world its almost worth a trip just to have some.
HalfTimePie

Postby szola on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:52 pm

I like coffee. We'll add a Moccamaster at xmas most likely, as we haven't got one of those yet.
My collection at the moment consists of

and a Nespresso, 1st Gen

The Bialetti is the only one in use every day
:thup:
szola

Postby Denzil on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:00 pm

I go to Brera in Fenchurch Street for my coffees, nice and strong. I find for the chains Nero is the best of the bunch. I only drink flat whites or espresso's after a meal unless I am indoors when I am not afforded the pleasure.

I do quite like Leon Coffee as well although the one near my work is hit an miss. If the have a certain 'barista' working he shows no love and quickly pours the froth in so it basically turns into strong coffee flavoured milk. I kinda wanted to say something to him so he did it properly but just did it in the most British was possible of shaking my head a bit as I picked it up and walked out.

Got a costa coffee machine at home that is about 3 years old that we picked up with clubcard points and is in a serious need of an upgrade so I am keen to check back into this thread once there's a few ideas on here
Denzil

Postby prophet:marginal on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:
Note: If you don't like coffee, think Starbucks is rubbish, prefer tea etc - no one gives a ****, go away.

Spoken like a true coffee drinker :thup:
prophet:marginal

Postby Mega Ron on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:04 pm

NottingHammer6 wrote:Cafetiere and Taylors coffee for me, any recommendations for good ground coffee?

Tesco finest Colombian is my favourite
Mega Ron

Next

Return to The Snug