The Coffee thread

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Coffee thread

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:58 pm

Found Aeropress equivalent in the States on Amazon or local big Supermarkets. Do they last ?? Couple of reviews says the ring wears out over time and not such a great fit.

Looks good, French press leaves bits in the cup even using a "strainer" in addition.

Have the Militta pour over plastic cup thingy and works great (it's in 'ouston right now). Trouble is (minor drawback) is that by the time it's ready you lose some "heat" - seems like the Aeropress would eliminate that.

Going back in the summer for a couple of months so can get it delivered there to bring back with me.

Love my afternoon coffee but trying to find a decent way of getting one is the hold up. As stated coffee here is really good and cheap as chips. 3.90 usd per pound and really fresh. You get it out of a barrel, no pre packed "you don't know how long it's been in there" coffee. As they sell loads of it too, it doesn't hang around in the barrel long. If you want ground, they do it right there in the shop for you in a VERY old burr grinder. Once ordered a pound to be ground, went to the school about 5 blocks away, sorted out my money, walked back and STILL had to wait about 5 minutes for the pound to finish being ground !!!!!!! Reckon the machine would be great in a museum !!!!!!!!!!

:lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby WHU_Del on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:33 pm

Chinners92 wrote:Sourced Market - there's one in St. Pancras - does really good coffee also.

They do (or did, at least) use coffee from the aforementioned Monmouth.
I have an Aeropress that I love, but find that the grind has to be just right, otherwise the water has run through before you get a chance to plunge it.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:48 pm

I have a grinder (electric) and it gives me coarse, medium and fine options...

So I suppose that I would have go to the trial and error method ...still I don't mind if you recommend it.

25 usd. so not an arm and a leg if it isn't brilliant........the single cup cone has been my best bet so far, and at 3.99 usd a fantastic investment.

I'll bring that back with me too, and buy another one (or two) to add to it..never know when I might get lucky and have company over for breakfast !!!!!

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Samba on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Is it alright to like instant coffee?

I'll get me coat.. :oops:
Samba

Location: Seriously wondering where Sully's getting all this spending money from..

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:09 pm

no !!!!!!

8-)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby tonkaman on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:17 pm

My favourite coffee was Kona from when we were in Hawaii. We did subsequently manage to get some over here, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the local brew was.
tonkaman

Postby Vince on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:20 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:no !!!!!!

8-)

Falls off the planet for a few years now you can't shut him up. How you doing Oz ?

Few years back, we had a re-model in our kitchen and I had a Bosch coffee maker installed.
You can adjust to what strength you want the coffee as it grinds the beans to that setting, size of the coffee can go from regular to XL and you can also make cappuccino's, expresso's and the like aswell.
Nice getting up the morning, switch on the machine, let the water heat up and a decent cup of coffee is ready in a minute or two.
Me, I buy Starbucks Italian whole bean coffee.
Vince

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Doing well Vince thanks...

in fact do nothing, well....

chipped in a few dollars to the site and feel that I HAVE to get my money's worth !!!!!!

Trust everything is well with your semi retirement ...thoughts on going back to the transport business any more ??
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Vince on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:31 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Doing well Vince thanks...

in fact do nothing, well....

chipped in a few dollars to the site and feel that I HAVE to get my money's worth !!!!!!

Trust everything is well with your semi retirement ...thoughts on going back to the transport business any more ??

I'm still helping the missus with her real estate business, and I'm on garden leave until the end of the year due to the non compete. Have a couple of meetings scheduled this summer as some parties are interested in doing something. I'll PM you more info if we want to do a start up in Cuenca.
Vince

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:35 pm

cheers mate. I'm about 3 hours from Guayaquil. Manta is the only other place that shipments come in from the far east and I don't know HOW far that is...

:D

Is your old company doing well ???????????

Hope the real estate business is booming..

Augusta looks stunning as usual......I think you have to win a raffle to get a ticket.....heard that tickets for today were going for 2500 usd.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Vince on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:39 pm

I'll send you a PM as we are hijacking the thread. :)
Vince

Postby Coops on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Found Aeropress equivalent in the States on Amazon or local big Supermarkets. Do they last ?? Couple of reviews says the ring wears out over time and not such a great fit.

Looks good, French press leaves bits in the cup even using a "strainer" in addition.

I have had mine for a couple of years and it still works fine.
My youngest's only lasted a year before the rubber bung expanded, but you can buy replacements from Amazon
Although if you had been in his university kitchen you would wonder how the students survive let alone the implements. :)

I use a metal strainer (again from Amazon) and a paper filter.
I swear by mine, it's great.
Coops

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:06 pm

I'll order one from Amazon for when I get back with a couple of extra "rubbers."

As I said for that price you can't go too far wrong, the French Press isn't really getting it done, although it's a pretty cheap one and although I use a strainer too, I still get loads of bits and pieces and "dust" in there, so I can't finish the cup up.

Cheers
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Mega Ron on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Am I the only one that like the pumpkin spiced gubbins?
Mega Ron

Postby Samba on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:the ring wears out over time and not such a great fit.

The Sullivan thread is elsewhere..
Samba

Location: Seriously wondering where Sully's getting all this spending money from..

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:53 pm

went to a craft beer and artisan food festival last night...some beers were awesome...unusual for the "Pilsner" crowd..it was packed with Ecuadorians......found a locally brewed I.P.A. must have been 10%

am very hung over this morning..almost fell out of the taxi...

anyway they had one of those Aeropress things there. I was too wasted to ask the bloke where I could get one here...could use one today..luckily enough I have some Yorkshire tea to help...not sure much will though..

:asleep:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:20 pm

White Goodman wrote:Anyone ever been over to Monmouth Coffee Shop near Borough Market?

I'd say that's my current favourite coffee Whitey.

Even converted the lovely Ms. Eggs. I've been raving about it for months and she couldn't understand the fuss of people queuing up outside a coffee shop until she has one of their brews; she loved it!

Two more are Coffee circus, around the corner of Hornsey town hall and Beanberry in Kingston (opposite Sports Direct).
Last edited by Eggs'n'nuts on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eggs'n'nuts

Postby pablo jaye on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Vietnamese coffee is my favourite - strong stuff from the northern highlands with a teaspoon of condensed milk - lovely. They balance each other out - the coffee doesn’t taste too bitter and stops the milk being too sickly
pablo jaye

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:18 am

I've ordered an Aeropress. I'm expecting big things now!

pablo jaye wrote:Vietnamese coffee is my favourite - strong stuff from the northern highlands with a teaspoon of condensed milk - lovely. They balance each other out - the coffee doesn’t taste too bitter and stops the milk being too sickly

It is outstanding. There's a little Vietnamese cafe on Hornchurch high street that serves nice coffee. They leave the metal drip bot on top of the glass with the milk. I've never been to Vietnam so I guess it's the closes I'll come to the real experience, but it really is outstanding.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby EvilC on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:29 am

pablo jaye wrote:Vietnamese coffee is my favourite - strong stuff from the northern highlands with a teaspoon of condensed milk - lovely. They balance each other out - the coffee doesn’t taste too bitter and stops the milk being too sickly

This sounds a bit like kopi that they have in Singapore.
EvilC

Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug