KUMB mechanics - I need your advice

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

KUMB mechanics - I need your advice

Postby yonni on Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:31 pm

This morning I had fumes in the car every time I put the air con on. I checked under the bonnet at lunch and it looked like a leak so I ran it round to a local garage. Gearbox has a hole in it. Really ****ed off as I was going to replace the car next spring. Seat Leon 08 with less than 60k on the clock. Next week we’re on holiday with the kids in the car so to add insult to injury I now have to shell out for a hire car for the week.

The question is do I:

a. Dump the car and buy a new one

b. Shell out £2,000+ for a new gearbox and keep the car a few more years

c. Any other ideas

The garage office spent a while ringing round breakers yards looking for a secondhand gearbox with no luck.
yonni

Re: KUMB mechanics - I need your advice

Postby sendô on Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Depends on a number of factors, the main one being how long have you had it, has it been well looked after, how long are you looking to keep it running, and as you're looking to sell soon how much would you expect for it?

I'd suggest given the above it's probably not worth it.

A couple of years ago I bought a car for £5800 and then blew the engine up a few weeks later. I paid £4000 to mend the engine, and kept it for 2 years before selling for £3300.

I'd have been better off cutting my losses.
sendô

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:48 pm

sendô wrote:A couple of years ago I bought a car for £5800 and then blew the engine up a few weeks later. I paid £4000 to mend the engine, and kept it for 2 years before selling for £3300.

I'd have been better off cutting my losses.

Ae you sure about that? It cost you £6,500 (£5800+£4000-£3300) to have the car for 2 years. Else it would have cost you £5800 to have it for a few weeks...
Hammer1972

Postby sendô on Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Sorry, forgot to add fried the electrics a few months after getting the engine fixed to the tune of £2000. Not a lucky car that one.

The point was more be careful about chasing your losses - don't just spend money because you are afraid to get nothing for the car - rather than actual values.
sendô

Postby Tenbury on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:01 pm

I saw this while i n my mate's garage picking up a motor for an MOT, so I asked him.(he's s***hot)

If the box still works,and you haven't walloped it, a different box ( by the time you take it out strip it,,and clean it for TIG welding,even if you can, you're going to be up there with 2G) might not be all you need.You'll have to check out diff bearings, mountings etc. They shouldn't just crack on their own, unless something gone massive inside,in which case the gear change would feel a tad strange.
I'd have a serious internet search of breakers,soon as.Sorry to be so gloomy.Enjoy your hols anyway.
Tenbury

Postby OFT on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:02 pm

I think of this as 'The Andy Carroll Conundrum'

A few years back my not very high mileage citroen relay van decided to shed the use of most of its gears. It was tidy otherwise, an 06 plate.

a Gearbox rebuild?
b 2nd hand box?
c Get rid?

I opted for b and about twelve months later that gearbox put up the white flag at a set of traffic lights up hill on a main road..oh how I laughed.

At this point I chose the option I should have taken the first time.. c and weighed it in.

HTH :P
OFT

Postby yonni on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:56 pm

OFT wrote:I think of this as 'The Andy Carroll Conundrum'

I should melt it down for glue??
yonni

Postby yonni on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:01 pm

A bit more info:

I bought it secondhand 12 months old with 14,000 on the clock, 9 years ago. I do about 6,000 miles a year. I was going to keep it another 12 months as it is getting a bit tatty. Getting into reverse was becoming a bit hit and miss and the exhaust sounds like it’s going to need replaced in a short while too. Trouble is I have a loan to pay off (not in the car) and was waiting for those payments to end before shelling out on a new car as I was going to get something a bit nicer and roomier like a Volvo XC.
yonni

Postby Coops on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:16 pm

You have had good value from his motor for a long time.
It is probably not going to be worth more than £2000 even with a mended gearbox and there is nothing to say that something else wont go wrong and you will end up throwing more money at it.

You are probably better off cutting your losses and getting something else IMO.
There are some reasonable motors about for 2 grand.
Coops

Postby Clucking Bell on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Get a new car. A ten year old motor is worth **** all if you try and sell it privately and a dealer isn't going to give you much in part-exchange: in fact the amount he'll give you for scrap is probably more than the net amount if you spend two grand fixing it.

Most car companies design and test powertrain components to have a minimum life of 150,000 so if yours has gone at 60,000, there will be a bunch of other stuff wrong with it and you'll be throwing good money after bad.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby hammerdivone on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:50 pm

Drive it your nearest dealer, trade it in for a new car, but make sure you don't turn on the air-con when you take it in.

Thank me later
hammerdivone

Postby yonni on Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:24 pm

I’ve got £10k now to get something. Not what I was going to get but could get a reasonable motor. Trouble is I hate being without a car. Especially with 2 kids that need taking to cubs/ swimming etc. Without a car they’ll have to go without, not to mention the run between the after school club and the nursey each evening. If I fix it and use it for a bit while I hunt for a car I should be able to get that money back in part ex given the low mileage? Or am I being daft? I don’t want to make a rash decision but I need to let the garage know before I go on holiday.

I’m normally good at decisions but this is tying my head in knots.
yonni

Postby Clucking Bell on Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:28 pm

yonni wrote: Or am I being daft?

Yes. You are. Trade it in and run away.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby yonni on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:23 am

Also forgot to mention that I was waiting until next year as my job isn’t certain. I can’t be made redundant (NHS) but I could be moved somewhere I don’t want to be as our health board is merging with another and there may not be enough posts. I’m leaning towards an aftermarket box and taking my time to get a new car and just accepting the £2k loss. Otherwise I’ll be p@&£ed off all holiday and on the internet looking at cars when I should be with the kids. I’d be likely to rush into buying anything just to get back on the road. I know it doesn’t make financial sense but it makes my life a lot easier and I’m willing to pay for that.
yonni

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:13 am

If I were you, I'd sell it for spares or repair and pay off your loan. It's a big gamble I know, but I've seen this with other cars, you pay out for one thing, then other little things start breaking or need replacing. You'll probably never recoup the money you've shelled out on the work that's been done and end up selling it for a lot less than you'd hoped. Then you have to think about it's saleability. It's not exactly a popular model like a BMW, Merc or Ford so anybody buying it would need to know exactly what it's about.

yonni wrote: I was going to get something a bit nicer and roomier like a Volvo XC.

I can thoroughly recommend the Volvo XC (I've got a 2008 XC70 which I got for an absolute steal). I'd never driven Volvos before but was really impressed by it's comfort, space and smooth drive. Mine is the 2.4 diesel and the torque on it is superb so it'd make a great towing car.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby sendô on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:28 am

My advise if you're waiting to stop paying the loan off to get something nice, is to get shot of the broken car and get a cheap run around for under a grand. There's a plethora of basic level things like Focus's that will tide you by for a few months and probably wont depreciate a lot more than they already have.
sendô

Postby yonni on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:01 am

I get what you’re all saying and if I didn’t have kids I wouldn’t think twice but it’s the hassle that’s killing me. The wife is away the weekend after we get back so I’ve got to drag the kids around to garages and the weekend after that we’ve got friends visiting. It’s just bad timing. I could live to regret it but I’m going to have a hunt for a recon and if I can’t find one I’m just going to get it done and suck it up. Buying a run around is still hassle and no guarantee that it’s going to last any longer than mine will.

GCRO - there is that nagging doubt of what’s next? Clutch? Electrics? Brakes?
yonni

Postby sendô on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:07 am

Up to you mate, but for me a runaround is cheaper than paying £2000 to mend it, then any further issues with either is same beer.
sendô

Postby Mega Ron on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:15 am

Have you tried looking on eBay?

Search seat Leon breaking and I bet loads of cars come up.
Mega Ron

Postby Tenbury on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:18 am

If you do keep it, be certain to check why it's broken(mountings etc) .

FWIW if I ever had ten grand (!), the sort of mileage you're doing, I wouldn't blow it all on a motor.
If you're not proud,spend a grand or so on a runaround and if you ever want to go away with the family/important stuff etc. hire a motor, it'll save you a fortune.
Tenbury

Next

Return to The Snug