KUMB mechanics - I need your advice

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: KUMB mechanics - I need your advice

Postby somerset-hammer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:43 am

A bloke who works for me, had a result on a PPI claim, got about £8k or thereabouts, he spent nearly all of that on 2007 Honda CRV..

I said to him at the time to bank the money, take the family away etc and lease a motor, but he said no, he wanted to own the car, and didn't want to pay monthly for one, fair enough I said.

7 months down the line, he's had no end of hassle with it, to the point where he had to take a loan out to pay for some of the repairs, so now he's worse off than he was before he had the money.
somerset-hammer

Postby sendô on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:53 am

Yep, I've come to realise that cars are an expensive luxury that cost you money hand over fist and depreciate in value rapidly. For me it's far better to have a lease, which is a pretty fixed monthly cost, rather than "owning" an older car that in theory costs less but is likely to go wrong at any moment.

There's of course exceptions to this but they're hard to come by.
sendô

Postby yonni on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 am

I dont do much mileage but it’s the convenience of lots of shorter trips around the city. Edinburgh is small enough that driving is still quickest. I might look in to leasing my next car though.
yonni

Postby mumbles87 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:17 am

sendô wrote:Yep, I've come to realise that cars are an expensive luxury that cost you money hand over fist and depreciate in value rapidly. For me it's far better to have a lease, which is a pretty fixed monthly cost, rather than "owning" an older car that in theory costs less but is likely to go wrong at any moment.

There's of course exceptions to this but they're hard to come by.

I float between the two ideas.. when I change cars I will no doubt lease one.. it is the sensible option

but until then ive got 2 cars.. one ive owned since new in 2012 and the other my mum owned since new in 2009 so least know everything of them and will run the 2009 until it dies and prob sell the 2012 one when we need something bigger (which will be a lease)
mumbles87

Postby Samba on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:59 am

OFT wrote:I think of this as 'The Andy Carroll Conundrum'

That's quite a good description! You're damned if you do & damned if you don't.

Thing is yonni, you said you get fumes when you turn the a/c on.
I know it's not ideal but can you live without the a/c?
Do you get fumes anyway?
Is the gearbox leaking anything else? Oil, fluid?
I presume it's an auto? It does sound f***ed if it's struggling with reverse as, well.
It's tricky. Kind of depends on your finances & circs. These things are ALWAYS bad timing, aint they?
If it otherwise runs (I know you may soon need an exhaust) & you get no fumes (but only with no a/c), I'd be tempted to do nothing & just keep using it until it eventually grinds to a halt.
It's 10 years old, a new/recon box is going to be 2k, probably just for labour alone.
I'm edging to say dump it now but I understand you wanting to consider putting in a different box.
Bit of a nightmare really.
Have you got a mate like Tenbury's who could patch the box up? Even if that's possible.
Hope you win the lottery!
Samba

Postby yonni on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:49 am

We got under the car and there is a hole in the case where the transmission oil is coming from. Not a leak, a hole cracked in the casing. I’m away next week so the garage is hunting a bit further afield for me. They originally only rang around Edinburgh as they were trying to get it done for me today at the latest so we could go on holiday. I’ve hired a car now so they’ve got as long as they need. Cheapest recon I found was £800 delivered but would take over a week to get the box back to the garage and it was a place down near London. The garage aren’t keen on using somewhere too far away as once they hand the box over its out if their control and there are a load of horror stories of places doubling quotes etc once they’ve got your gearbox (just google this). The good news is that Seats are quite popular up here and 90% of the population of Scotland lives in the central belt so once they find one it’s a short trip to get it delivered.

Labour is under £300 fir this where I go plus I get 10% NHS discount on labour costs. I have to say this garage are really good people - they came recommended by my normal place who were booked up. If anyone needs a garage in Edinburgh Ace Autos on Bankhead Drive are highly recommended by me and a mate I work with.
yonni

Postby Samba on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Well, it all sounds a bit more hopeful now, yonni.
Enjoy your hols!
Samba

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Do what everyone else does - spend 30% of your gross salary on loan payments for a car you drive 8k a year.
DasNutNock

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:09 am

I'm getting new astra sri vx line nav. It's even got WiFi.

£2500 a year all Inc tax and roadside assistance. Just a yearly service. Potentially you've ready got a year (avoiding the gearbox repairs and car hire)

My second car is a 2.5 se jag. Amazing car for 3 k. 30000 miles..one owner. Since Oct I've spent £151 a month on repairs, but that includes paint to make it perfect.

Swings and roundabouts.

But I would get rid (especially if its a diesel)
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Burnley Hammer on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:39 pm

My normal plan is to buy a 10 year old car with decent mileage, easy to work on, and cheapish parts for 2k max, buy a haynes manual, and attempt as much as I'm capable of myself in terms of repair. Spend 3 years paying it off at around 50 a month then swap for another car. Admittedly I'm not quite as efficient as a garage. It's just taken me a week to change a thermostat. I damaged the housing putting the new one on. Then damaged a pipe putting the housing on. Then once I'd sorted it all and refilled with coolant, noticed I'd forgotten a seal and had coolant pissing out. Fixed in the end though so I'll mark it down as a success.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Burnley Hammer wrote:My normal plan is to buy a 10 year old car with decent mileage, easy to work on, and cheapish parts for 2k max, buy a haynes manual, and attempt as much as I'm capable of myself in terms of repair. Spend 3 years paying it off at around 50 a month then swap for another car. Admittedly I'm not quite as efficient as a garage. It's just taken me a week to change a thermostat. I damaged the housing putting the new one on. Then damaged a pipe putting the housing on. Then once I'd sorted it all and refilled with coolant, noticed I'd forgotten a seal and had coolant pissing out. Fixed in the end though so I'll mark it down as a success.

That's exactly how I learned to do stuff years ago and it's the best way to learn IMO. YouTube is a great source of information and will explain potential pitfalls. I've saved quite a bit doing that.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:27 pm

I buy a new family wagon and drive that around until it is no longer serviceable as a car.

Then I get a new one.
Mega Ron

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:36 pm

I read somewhere that, if you live in a city, it is cheaper to take taxis for every trip you make around town and rent cars for longer trips, than to run a (new ish) car. Depreciation, fuel, tax, insurance, parking fees all add up to a huge sum.

I currently run a 21 year old Alfa 145 1.6 boxer with 210k miles on the clock. Bought it for 650€, Very good nick, everything works!!! Had to spend 500 on a new half shaft and will scrap it when the next thing goes wrong.

The cheapest form of motoring is to buy the cheapest car you can and scrap it when anything you can't fix goes wrong. Rinse and repeat.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Postby Tenbury on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Of necessity, this is my MO, but in truth, even when I was a bit flush things were the same.The old diesel Passat (paid £350 nearly 4 years ago) now has done nearly 260K, and costs about average 150 a year to MOT. It desperately needs a new O/S/F wing (simple bolt on) but I can't find one at a breakers....could have to be scrapped in Nov at next MOT. ....
We travel to London by train, Cornwall, rent a motor. If I did buy anything decent,she'd only dent it.
Tenbury

Postby yonni on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:25 pm

**UPDATE**

Found a used gearbox on eBay from a good seller for £495 delivered. Garage will install it while I’m on holiday. Pick the car up after work Monday. Including the cost of the hire car for the week, less than £1,000 all in. Hire car got upgraded to a Hyundai Tucson SUV with 3,490 miles on the clock. Good to test drive as it’s about the size and type I'm looking for. Won’t be buying one though. It’s alright and if I was given one I wouldn’t complain - huge boot but the engine isn’t all that and the ride is a bit skittish. Mind you, I’ve been driving it over rough roads in the Pennines in fog with 30 foot visibility. Whatever I get next year, I’m aiming for a couple of years old max with under 30,000 in the clock and keep it for at least 8 years.
yonni

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Cars are a bit like ......urrmmm.....cars , can't live without one , can't live with one as they're cars not humans , unless you're really into cars .

I've had my fair share of good and bad cars , only had one car that needed a new engine [ A Nissan Micra ] and at the moment it's looking like No2 is coming up hard and fast on the outside lane .

Two years ago we were looking for a new car and decided on a Vauxhall Astra 1.4 Life - found one being sold by a bloke in Glasgow - I wasn't well enough to go down to pick it up but Jen was fine with it - I told him I was disabled and had to send my wife down to collect it ' Is there anything at all wrong with it i should know of ? ' I asked him ' No , nothing , it's perfect ' . Well , not only will I ever not trust a car salesman ever again but the next time I buy a second hand car I'll pay the AA to check it over first before I buy it .
When Jen brought it home it looked immaculate but when I started it up it sounded like a diesel - I looked up Vauxhall cars having never owned one before and some said the engines were a bit noisy so I left it at that . It drove ok , took us from A-B without any bother but after a few weeks thinking it needed a timing chain I took it to our local garage - our mechanic told me it would need a new engine ! I ignored his advice as we didn't have the money for a new engine and anyway a new engine would cost almost as much as we paid for the car [ £2500 ] - we've driven it without any problems for about 2 years now but I'm suspecting it now needs a head gasket as well as a new timing chain . I could buy a new engine and have it fitted for around £2000 or buy a new car - I quite like the Astra [ it's 2010 so 8 years old ] so do I keep it or buy another car ?
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Samba on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:15 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Well, not only will I ever not trust a car salesman ever again but the next time I buy a second hand car I'll pay the AA to check it over first before I buy it.

Wise words, Tomos. Caveat emptor.
You can't ever really trust a used car salesperson. Unless they're a close relative who likes you!

Your's sounds a very similar case to yonni's. So difficult to advise.
In a way, one way to decide is, will a new/recon engine (as far as you can tell) for 2k, make the car a pretty good car? i.e nothing else will need doing. Would the new/recon have any sort of warranty? Probably not or very short.
If it would make it a decent car, what different car could you buy for the same money? If you can't buy as good, go with the new/recon engine. You could buy a different car for 2k & then THAT needs a new engine at some point in the future. Or something else expensive.
But at least you would have got the AA to check it over first!
Samba

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:08 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:we've driven it without any problems for about 2 years now but I'm suspecting it now needs a head gasket as well as a new timing chain . I could buy a new engine and have it fitted for around £2000 or buy a new car - I quite like the Astra [ it's 2010 so 8 years old ] so do I keep it or buy another car ?

If you want to check if it needs a head gasket, just look at the exhaust smoke - if it's white and pretty thick on start up, then yes, you'll need a head gasket. Also, check the oil, if it looks like brown mayonaise and if the coolant level keeps dropping dramatically then that's also the sign of a moody head gasket
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
If you want to check if it needs a head gasket, just look at the exhaust smoke - if it's white and pretty thick on start up, then yes, you'll need a head gasket. Also, check the oil, if it looks like brown mayonaise and if the coolant level keeps dropping dramatically then that's also the sign of a moody head gasket

Those are the symptoms I'm getting , GCRO - hence why I know it's needing a new head gasket - we've been putting it off for weeks now but it's our only car and we'd be well pooped without one - we have to go to East Kilbride on Wednesday , hopefully it'll take us there and back then I'll take it to the garage .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Samba on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:47 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I know it's needing a new head gasket - we've been putting it off for weeks now but it's our only car and we'd be well pooped without one - we have to go to East Kilbride on Wednesday , hopefully it'll take us there and back then I'll take it to the garage .

So you'll be hitch-hiking back on Wednesday, Tomos? :wink:
Of course, don't get the head gasket changed if you're then gonna get a new/recon engine, as well!

In Stratford, Westfield whsmith, I once saw a jigsaw puzzle of East Kilbride High Street.
I can't help wondering if, in East Kilbride whsmith...
Last edited by Samba on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samba

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug