KUMB mechanics - I need your advice

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: KUMB mechanics - I need your advice

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:43 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Those are the symptoms I'm getting , GCRO - hence why I know it's needing a new head gasket - we've been putting it off for weeks now but it's our only car and we'd be well pooped without one - we have to go to East Kilbride on Wednesday , hopefully it'll take us there and back then I'll take it to the garage .

Mate, the longer you leave it, the worse it'll get. You could end up warping the head which will cost you a lot of dosh. You're already looking at 800 sheets plus with a head gasket. Your call, but I'd wager if you've left it for weeks, you may not make it to the shangri-la that is East Kilbride I'm afraid.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:09 pm

Starting to worry now :) .

Will try to get to East Kilbride and back then look around for a new car or think about a replacement engine .

I'm thinking Volvo or a reliable 7 seater .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby -DL- on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:23 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Starting to worry now :) .

Will try to get to East Kilbride and back then look around for a new car or think about a replacement engine .

I'm thinking Volvo or a reliable 7 seater .

Get a Honda.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:25 pm

Aye, Honda would be the way to go. Or if you can stomach it, a Kia - get a 3 year old Ceed and it’ll still have 4 years warranty left.
DasNutNock

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:41 pm

We recently bought a 2015 Ford focus zetec 1.5 tdci. Feels so sturdy and heard good things about reliability etc. Being a focus, repairs should be relatively cheap as there are loads of parts around. I would definitely recommend one.

Ours has only 15k miles on the clock and at £8,800 plus a 12 year old fiesta with 90k+ miles traded in (which needed a new suspension and air con unit) , seemed like a decent price.

Kia are pretty decent nowadays. I have a mate who recommends the seat Azteca(?) (4x4 I think), he is a high end car dealer and says it is pretty much the same chassis/ride as the Audi q7 as audi own them.
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby Tenbury on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 pm

The private hire company I've just started with have an IC 30 diesel on the fleet, two days ago,the alternator packed up.
Mind you, it was the original, and the vehicle's done 427,000 miles.(fixed within 12 hours it's been Worcs > Gatwick and back twice this weekend).
Tenbury

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:49 pm

235 mile trip today in my 12 year old 2.5 auto Jaguar.

Stuck it in drive..cruise control. Was even streaming spotify (via the radio freq/ Bluetooth receiving gadget from. Amazon.for £12)

Was amazing. Didn't miss a beat and even managed 32 MPG (often at 80 mph+)

3.7 k purchase in Oct. It's immaculate. 32000 miles fsh

I've gone off new cars. This motor has opened my eyes.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby hammerdivone on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:03 am

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:I have a mate who recommends the seat Azteca(?) (4x4 I think), he is a high end car dealer and says it is pretty much the same chassis/ride as the Audi q7 as audi own them.

He's close but no cigar. The Ateca is based on the Q5 platform and they're owned by VW (who own Audi), however he is right in that it is a really good car. The Skoda Kodiaq is the same as well.
hammerdivone

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:24 pm

I probably stopped listening once he got going!.
chelmsfordhammer91

Previous

Return to The Snug