Smart Meter

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Smart Meter

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Wed May 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Anyone got one?

If so, what are genuine benefits, if any??

It seems to me that they just tell you how much gas/leccy your using. Hardly revolutionary.
westham,eggyandchips

Re: Smart Meter

Postby OFT on Wed May 09, 2018 8:18 pm

I have one at my business premises. I can't really remember why I agreed to it to be honest. I have never looked at it to see what I'm using and as I said to the bloke who fitted it, if I need to use my machines I'm going to use them.
The single advantage is that I don't have to move stuff for the meter reader or get on of those 'we called' cards, they just drive past and it pings the reading to them( I think that's how it works).
OFT

Postby FreeWheeling on Wed May 09, 2018 8:48 pm

had them for about two years, only advantage I have found is I dont have the hassle of reading the meter or getting a knock on the door at stupid o clock on a sat morning for some chap to read it, all done via its own sim card
FreeWheeling

Postby EvilC on Wed May 09, 2018 8:52 pm

FW has nailed it. The only advantage is for your supplier as they can collect usage data.
EvilC

Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...

Postby FreeWheeling on Wed May 09, 2018 9:00 pm

The other advantage I found was went moving house (small thing I know) when you tell your provider your moving date, the meters are reset to zero on that date, therefore no fuckwittery from the new owners
FreeWheeling

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Thu May 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Disadvantage is that the energy supplier can (legally, I have been told) load-shed a district for a certain length of time, meaning that they can remotely shut off your power when they feel they need it elsewhere.

I can't remember where I heard this, but IIRC it was from a reputable source.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Thu May 10, 2018 2:35 pm

I occasionally think about getting one but (admittedly rare) stories of people being automatically billed the GNP of a medium sized country put me off. Knowing just enough about IT to be dangerous has me concerned that anything can be hacked and the fact that a smart meter is eventually connected to my money is a point against. Another one is they're not (yet) transferable between providers.

Sort out the software, security and standardisation and I'll consider one.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby EvilC on Thu May 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Sort out the software, security and standardisation and I'll consider one.

This. And even with it, the reasons to have one are minimal.
EvilC

Postby DasNutNock on Thu May 10, 2018 4:03 pm

They're a useful way of demonstrating to the family that you need to turn the central heating off.
DasNutNock

Postby sendô on Thu May 10, 2018 4:10 pm

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote:Disadvantage is that the energy supplier can (legally, I have been told) load-shed a district for a certain length of time, meaning that they can remotely shut off your power when they feel they need it elsewhere.

I can't remember where I heard this, but IIRC it was from a reputable source.

I'm pretty certain that they can't do this, as it would contravene the ESQCRs 2002 that categorically state that the networks cannot turn people's electrical supply off where it is unreasonable to do so - i.e because John down the road wants to run everything electrical in his house at once.
sendô

Postby peter49uk on Thu May 10, 2018 4:10 pm

If you want to keep an eye on your usage without signing to a smart meter google "owl electricity monitor"

You can sit and watch what everything uses and is costing.
peter49uk

Postby EvilC on Thu May 10, 2018 4:11 pm

DasNutNock wrote:They're a useful way of demonstrating to the family that you need to turn the central heating off.

Good luck to them as I've been married for eight years and have never quite got the point across to my wife.
EvilC

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Fri May 11, 2018 11:04 am

sendô wrote:I'm pretty certain that they can't do this, as it would contravene the ESQCRs 2002 that categorically state that the networks cannot turn people's electrical supply off where it is unreasonable to do so - i.e because John down the road wants to run everything electrical in his house at once.

Can't find the article anywhere, maybe just misread it. Still I don't like the idea of IoT, too fraught with risk.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Return to The Snug