Contactless cards

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Contactless cards

Postby sendô on Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:20 pm

BILR, you do know that with most banks if you lose a card you can cancel it instantly via the banks app or online banking?

I honestly don't see the big deal with contactless. You lose a card and run the risk of someone running up a bill. Well don't lose it then. It's the same if you lose your whole wallet - you lose your cash. Lose your phone? You have to pay out for a replacement.
sendô

Postby Bend it like Repka on Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:05 pm

sendô wrote:I honestly don't see the big deal with contactless. You lose a card and run the risk of someone running up a bill. Well don't lose it then.

Well don't lose it then?

That's a rather smug and churlish attitude isn't it?

I've not lost a card in 30 years. Unfortunately I don't live in a perfect world so I finally ****ed up.

You didn't used to get cheque books with automatically pre filled signatures did you? Just to save you the hassle of picking up a pen.....
Bend it like Repka

Postby sendô on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Alright big lug keep your hair on.

I was just making the point that it seems silly to regress an advance in technology that has helped to streamline people's every day lives because you might lose a few quid once every 30 years.
sendô

Postby 3 Hopes on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:28 pm

I lost my wallet the other day and my credit card was used a few times before i could cancel it on the mobile app (was asleep). All refunded the next day.

Had about 40 pounds in the wallet that i'll never see again so luckily i wasn't carrying around more.

If you are worried about losing money, carrying a lot of cash is not the way to go in my experience.
3 Hopes

Postby europeanscum on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:24 pm

sacked off contactless about a year ago, not looked back.

was fed up of going out friday nights on the lash, tapping away and the funds not clearing until monday. was a nightmare.

if im in a rush i will use apple pay or top up my prepaid revolut travel card which is contact (and brilliant)
europeanscum

Postby Hammerite on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:57 am

About a year ago I spotted a couple of fradulent transactions on my credit card statement from a clothes store in Glasgow of all places. The store themselves, the credit card company and the plod were all great.

During the course of the investigation with the Police I was told by the investigating officer that as I was still in possession of my cards, and hadn't handed them over to anyone that the most likely way that the scroates had obtained my card details was by 'skimming' the data from my cards without my knowledge.

Apparently there are NFC type readers that these guys use that they carry around in bags and use this technology to skim card data from people wallets and purses by positioning them close one's person, i.e. on the tube, bus, club. gig etc, etc. The data 'skimmed' is then used to clone the card which can then be used to make false cards that allow transactions a lot higher than £30 to go through.

In the end I ended up buying a few of these and putting them in my wallet https://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Travel-Credit-Debit-Protection/dp/B00J4IVWM4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1529992392&sr=8-9&keywords=card+guard

The really reassuring thing is that this type of technology is also contained in modern passports, and people wonder why identity theft is on the rise.

Progress eh... :eh:
Hammerite

Postby mumbles87 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:50 am

sendô wrote:BILR, you do know that with most banks if you lose a card you can cancel it instantly via the banks app or online banking?

I had my wallet stolen a month ago.. lucky I dont carry much cash they got away with £20

total cost to me was about £50 , £20 cash,, £20 for new driving licence.. wallet itself was a cheap holiday wallet (as I was away)

cash may be king (in some peoples eyes) but its also not replaceable

by time I got home from my holiday I had the debit card I had with me and my nandos card waiting for me.. driving licence next day and 2 days later my credit card arrived.. that £20 however... gone

and like you say I had blocked both cards (well frozen them) on my app before I left the place..

appreciate though that some guys and girls prefer cash myself however if I am carrying anything over £100 on me I dont feel comfortable
mumbles87

Postby EugeneSpeed on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:17 am

Interesting reading this thread. Hadn't really thought a great deal about the downsides of it. I actually find it pretty handy, but the contactless on my current debit card has stopped working. I ended up setting up Apple Pay on my phone which works just as well but requires a fingerprint or PIN. Thinking about it its a way better way of doing it.
EugeneSpeed

Postby Knighter10WHU on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:05 pm

I haven't used cash for a good 5 years now if I can help it for fear of loosing my wallet and loosing all of the cash that is in there and I hate change being in my pockets. There are still a few places that you have to think about taking cash (eg older non-chain pubs, burger vans and maybe some smaller shops) but for the most part you can get away without having cash these days.
Knighter10WHU

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:25 pm

Knighter10WHU wrote:I haven't used cash for a good 5 years now if I can help it for fear of loosing my wallet and loosing all of the cash that is in there and I hate change being in my pockets. There are still a few places that you have to think about taking cash (eg older non-chain pubs, burger vans and maybe some smaller shops) but for the most part you can get away without having cash these days.

how do you buy your drugs then ?
psychoscoredthelot

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:29 pm

psychoscoredthelot wrote:how do you buy your drugs then ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYoUGkQJI64 - Warning, in no way shape or form is that video suitable for work.
DasNutNock

Previous

Return to The Snug