Contactless cards

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Contactless cards

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:We will all be paying via microchips under the skin in the not too distant future anyway

Chip and skin
somerset-hammer

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:55 pm

I hadn't really thought out this before and you're right. If you lose the card you could get screwed over. Their should be a limit on how many times you can tap a day. The amount of times my other half has given me her card to pay for drinks etc and I've just tapped on the machine.

I might follow suit and request a non contactless card next time :thup:
Cockneyboy311

Postby djclipz on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:09 pm

A cool thing I like with new start up banks that are on the rise at the minute. Monzo and Starling being 2, is that they allow you to control your card on the mobile app. So if you don't want the card to be used for contactless, you just switch it off, or you don't want it being used for cash machine withdrawals, you just switch it off. Gives you the control rather than ringing your bank etc etc... Plus you also get instant notifications.. so as soon as someone used your card, your phone would vibrate saying where and how much.

I suppose if you really wanted to, you could always lock the card which renders it useless and unlock it when you wanted to use it.
djclipz

Postby Bend it like Repka on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Their should be a limit on how many times you can tap a day.

This is really the answer. Having dealt with bigger fraud through my companies website, I'm aware of how card companies are battling huge costs.

Why banks think it is a good idea to have no limit on what is an unsecured gateway to an account is madness.

If the limit was £40 per day then you could still have the convenience of tapping for small purchases but no one could have a field day if it gets lost.
Bend it like Repka

Postby Wembley1966 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:49 pm

djclipz wrote:Plus you also get instant notifications.. so as soon as someone used your card, your phone would vibrate saying where and how much.

Amex cards do notification with Google Pay. Even if you use the physical card with chip and pin, it shows the transaction instantly on your phone.
Wembley1966

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:08 pm

djclipz wrote:A cool thing I like with new start up banks that are on the rise at the minute. Monzo and Starling being 2, is that they allow you to control your card on the mobile app. So if you don't want the card to be used for contactless, you just switch it off, or you don't want it being used for cash machine withdrawals, you just switch it off. Gives you the control rather than ringing your bank etc etc... Plus you also get instant notifications.. so as soon as someone used your card, your phone would vibrate saying where and how much.

I suppose if you really wanted to, you could always lock the card which renders it useless and unlock it when you wanted to use it.

The problem of course is what happens if you lose your phone!
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby djclipz on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:The problem of course is what happens if you lose your phone!

Absolutely... you are back to getting on the phone or a web chat to tell them to lock it down. In theory, you could probably use another device or someone elses phone if you still wanted to do it yourself.
djclipz

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:35 pm

All my cards are non contactless through my request.
I do not have NFC on my phone and would not activate it even if I did.

Contactless payments do not show debited from your account right away also, so could trip you up if you're unaware.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby davids cross on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Although these type of things are supposed to make paying for things more easy. And I do use them lots.

I only ever feel properly comfortable carrying and paying with cash.....(my age I suspect).

For everything else I'm always thinking about the security aspect of what I'm doing. Then again, I suppose carrying cash is insecure. But it does give a sense of being in full control of the transaction a bit more.
davids cross

Postby Samba on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:22 pm

-DL- wrote:I requested non-contactless with my bank, to which they obliged.

Gonna be on to that, STRAIGHT away..good idea.
Samba

Location: Seriously hoping that we are not going to be next season's Everton..

Postby Robbie on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 pm

I'll be doing that as well. What was I thinking...?
It did actually occur to me a little while ago, but this thread has nailed it for me. :thup:
Robbie

Postby Rowly on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Bend it like Repka wrote:
Because banks refund it is costing them millions.

No... they'll be passing it onto us in some way. shape or form you can guarantee that!
Rowly

Postby davids cross on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:23 pm

What do people actual take with them on a normal day.

Phone with payment abilites.
Cash.
Debit Card
Credit Card

I take my phone. I never use a Debit Card as it's linked directly to my account, so have destroyed that. I have a credit card registered on the phone. If my bill is gonna be above £100 or so I would also physically take my credit card.

Cash I may carry £80 .
davids cross

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Phone - I don't have mobile pay on it though
Debit card x 2

I have a credit card but I don't carry it on me - really only used as a last resort for big ticket items online i.e holidays
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby mushy on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 pm

I just carry a debit card and some cash.
I tend to carry quite a bit of cash at any one time
£200 would be about the average.
mushy

Postby Kludgehammer on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:43 am

-DL- wrote:I requested non-contactless with my bank, to which they obliged.

Samba wrote:Gonna be on to that, STRAIGHT away..good idea.

Some banks don't provide non-contactless any more: Tesco and Nat West One to name two - I spoke at length to both, they were adamant that "no-one wanted non-contactless", so I cancelled the Tesco card and don't take the other one outside the house. Nationwide and normal Nat West are fine about supplying non-contactless, though I wonder how long they will continue to do so, if it's only 0.01% of their customer base refuse them

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Their should be a limit on how many times you can tap a day.

Bend it like Repka wrote:This is really the answer. Having dealt with bigger fraud through my companies website, I'm aware of how card companies are battling huge costs.

Why banks think it is a good idea to have no limit on what is an unsecured gateway to an account is madness.

If the limit was £40 per day then you could still have the convenience of tapping for small purchases but no one could have a field day if it gets lost.

There is a limit on the number of consecutive times you can use the contactless without using the PIN. I suspect the OP's £150 limit hit that. That applies even if you've loaded the cards onto your phone. From experience, it's around the 10-15 times mark on my main card, but might vary from bank to bank.

I do wish the contactless limit was higher but only when the card is loaded on a fingerprint-protected phone app - two of the few cases where I need to use my CC instead of using it from the phone are for the weekly shop or filling up the car with fuel.

I generally avoid contactless for the security aspect, but also because it's a pain in the arse having muiltiple contactless cards due to card clash on the tube - I use Oyster there because the gates react to it faster than to a bank card.

For those of you worried about cards being skimmed in your pockets, or about card clash and want to carry multiple contactless cards, these work a treat - I've checked mine with a NFC reader app, and it can't see the card when it's inside one

davids cross wrote:What do people actual take with them on a normal day.

Phone with payment abilites.
Cash.
Debit Card
Credit Card

I take my phone. I never use a Debit Card as it's linked directly to my account, so have destroyed that. I have a credit card registered on the phone. If my bill is gonna be above £100 or so I would also physically take my credit card.

Cash I may carry £80 .

In my c/card wallet I have:
  • Main credit card (Visa)
  • Visa Debit card (though that will probably go when NFC-equipped ATMs are widespread) - account has limited amount of money in it and doesn't allow going overdrawn
  • Oyster

My phone flip-case has:
  • My phone, surprisingly enough
  • In Samsung Pay, I have the two cards above loaded onto it, as well as a Mastercard credit card that I never take out with me
  • In Google Pay, I have the same Mastercard (more by accident than design), plus the NatWest One card that doesn't have a non-contactless option and doesn't work on Samsung pay
  • My business c/card in a NFC sleeve, as that works on neither Samsung Pay nor Google Pay

I do wish the banks and the payment apps could sort their lives out so that all the cards work on both payment apps - the current situation is bloody stupid and annoying
Kludgehammer

Postby the pink palermo on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:26 am

davids cross wrote:I only ever feel properly comfortable carrying and paying with cash.....(my age I suspect).

Me too.

Cash really is king, and when travelling overseas I always take US dollars with me regardless of whether I'm in the states because people take them pretty much everywhere.

I can't understand it when people use cards to buy drinks in the pub, it seems a very silly idea.

As for using your phone to pay for things , well, I've seen youngsters do it, but for goodness sake, it seems a bot of a fuss when you could just reach in to your pocket and use real money.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Mega Ron on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:18 am

I just take my wallet with me.it has most of my cards in there, debit, credit, amex, as well as my driving licence and work pass.

I put this in my pocket and haven't lost, or had it stolen, yet.
Mega Ron

Postby fmgod on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:51 am

This is partly why I won't put internet banking on mobile devices.
fmgod

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:37 pm

the pink palermo wrote:
Me too.

Cash really is king, and when travelling overseas I always take US dollars with me regardless of whether I'm in the states because people take them pretty much everywhere.

I can't understand it when people use cards to buy drinks in the pub, it seems a very silly idea.

As for using your phone to pay for things , well, I've seen youngsters do it, but for goodness sake, it seems a bot of a fuss when you could just reach in to your pocket and use real money.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/04/uk-switch-to-cashless-society-contactless-payment

Cash might still be hanging on amongst certain demographics and certain trades, but unless there is a real wind change, it won't be around for ever

I was in Australia recently and they have really moved away from cash - charity boxes with contactless, paying tradesmen via wifi tap machines (even in the middle of nowhere)

It is a shame but given the stats in that article, physical cash could be a thing of the past in 30 years

I
Crouchend_Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug