Hayfever Season

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Hayfever Season

Postby Slacking student on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:17 am

Is it just me or is the Hayfever season getting progressively worse year on year. This year appears to be an absolute rotter. Constantly look like I've gone rounds with Tyson my eyes are that swollen.

Does anyone have any good remedies for the symptoms as the pills (Ceritizine) don't seem to be having any effect after about 5pm and I feel like I'm going to scratch out my eyeballs. After the first fatal eye rub it's all downhill from there.
Slacking student

Re: Hayfever Season

Postby Slacking student on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:18 am

Also some **** in my office just sent me a link to these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gfm-Organic-Po ... E7GWZBD4TT

Why would anyone weaponise the little b*stard is beyond me?
Slacking student

Postby somerset-hammer on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:45 am

This last week or so, has been the worst I can remember it being for quite some time.

I want to take a metal file to roof of my mouth!!
somerset-hammer

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:03 pm

Indian fella in work was really bad the other day. His face swelled up, eyes were streaming and he could hardly breathe. I've never had hayfever in my life until a about three years ago and it's a pain in the arse. If I don't take the anti-histamines then it's terrible.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby BabyClaret on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:48 pm

First recommendation is find the tablet that works best for you - I find Loratidine is much better than Ceritizine - can be got for £2 in Boots.

Wash hands after long periods outside - keep eye rubbing to a minimum.
BabyClaret

Postby somerset-hammer on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:53 pm

I find Piriteze pretty good
somerset-hammer

Postby Arch Dandy on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Loratidine works best for me, find an online pharmacy and buy 100s of pills for a couple of quid every year. I use chemist-4-u.com
Arch Dandy

Postby Hammer1972 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:40 pm

Tablets, combined with a Beconase nasal spray.

Heard the other day that eating local honey apparently helps but no idea if this is true.
Hammer1972

Postby smuts on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:04 pm

My missus and youngest are really suffering at the moment.

The wife reckons Loratidine is better but makes her really drowsy.
smuts

Postby jastons on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:18 pm

I was really suffering the first half of this week, worse than I can ever remember. I take a combination of loratidine and cetrizine. I fine one or two don't make me drowsy, but some days I take four or five and then I struggle to keep my eyes open!

Acravastine is the active ingredient in benadryl, and that's another alternative.
jastons

Postby tonkaman on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:50 pm

This year I'm finding that loratidine is better for me.

In the past when I have been really bad, I have gone for an injection of kenalog. You could try asking your doc for that. It is a steroid, so it can have side effects. But, whenever I've had it, symptoms for me have always gone within a couple of hours regardless of what I've been doing.
tonkaman

Postby ereford ammer on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:40 pm

It has been a bad season. Generally I get hay fever less than when I was younger or perhaps the medication has got better. I use a prescription nasal spray (Becanase) and use eye drops (Broline) as my eyes become irritated in the evening. At night I use Piriton which makes me drowsy and sends me to sleep. In the day time I might use a non-drowsy tablet. This may seem like overkill but this year is is as bad as I can remember.

Shower morning and evening and change your clothes in the evening to get rid of pollen. NHS say stay off the booze but don,t they say that for everything? Fellow sufferers, you have my sympathy.
ereford ammer

Postby Robbie on Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:17 pm

I have suffered from this b*stard for 39 years, since I was 6 years old.
In the early years I would get nosebleeds and have to go into a dark room whenever I could.
It's nowhere near as bad these days but this week I have been wanting to scratch my eyes out. I take Tesco antihistamine tablets which work as well as any other over the counter stuff as well as eye drops. When it gets a grip though, it's a right shitter.
They always told me I would grow out of it......But like supporting West Ham, I'm stuck with the F@cker... :fsake:
Robbie

Postby somerset-hammer on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Seems worse than ever today!
somerset-hammer

Postby Burnley Hammer on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:20 pm

In terms of solving the nasal congestion issue - a good nasal spray works. Beconase is ok but not massively effective for me. I ended up getting one on prescription from the doctor called budesonide. Amazing stuff - 3 days after I started using it, it was almost like I didn't have hayfever anymore. Obviously it doesn't do anything for the itchy eyes issue so I still take the tablets on top.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby essexguy on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:54 pm

I used to suffer terribly from allergy based asthema (mostly cat dander and yes I have cats). But I also suffered particularly badly during pollen season with the usual sneezing and itchy eyes.

To alleviate the nose symptoms I found that giving myself a saline nasal rinse every otehr day helped. I used the following:

https://www.rightnutri.co.uk/neilmed-si ... gKcMPD_BwE

Biggest thing for me that stopped both the asthema and even the sneezing. Not 100% sure why but since I have stopped smoking I haven't been bothered at all.
essexguy

Postby claretandblue82 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Go down to Savers and get their allergy and hayfever relief tablets called Galpharm. Best thing I have taken and only 89p for 30 tablets.

I normally suffer most after 7/8pm when everything seems to of settled down.
claretandblue82

Postby Whitters on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:06 pm

After 40 or so years of suffering from this I started a programme of desensitisation last October. For the first few weeks you get a pollen jab every week, and then once a month for the best part of three years.Obviously this is a lot of hassle, but so far this year I've only been slightly affected 3 or 4 days, and even then to a much lesser extent than normal. On these days I can still take my usual Benedryl tablet to get rid of it.

Hopefully by the end of the treatment it will be gone completely, but we'll see.
Whitters

Postby vietnammer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Don't know why some people (a minority?) get this and others don't. I don't think you are necessarily born with it either. My Mum (ah **** here we go) suffered terribly with it but it didn't start until she was 28.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Return to The Snug