Laser Eye Surgery?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Laser Eye Surgery?

Postby Hammerite on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:27 am

Having worn glasses and contact lenses for over 30 years I'm seriously tempted to go down the laser eye surgery route and was wondering if anyone else on here (other than CH) has had it done to address short sightedness?

I'm keen to here of peoples thoughts, experiences and recommendations.

:thup:
Hammerite

Re: Laser Eye Surgery?

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:31 am

I’ve always wanted to be able to shoot lasers out of my eyes, like Superman or possibly Cyclops, and would gladly have surgery to have them installed.

As is my understanding, you can fly to South Africa to have laser eye surgery for less money than it costs to do here. Certainly was the case 10 years ago, anyway, when loads of people from work were having it done there.
DasNutNock

Postby Hammerite on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:52 am

DasNutNock wrote:As is my understanding, you can fly to South Africa to have laser eye surgery for less money than it costs to do here.

But how would you fly back with patches on your eyes :wink:
Hammerite

Postby Briggsy on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:44 am

I got it done when I was 19. The surgery is absolutely fine and a breeze, then you get home and the pain killers die down.

I was in the most incredibly intense pain I've ever experienced. It felt like I had put bleach into my eyes while they were on fire. I'm not exaggerating either. It lasted for 7 days. My brother was exactly the same.

I don't think its the same for everyone mind. I think it's depending on the nerves in your eye. Some people have 50000, some have 5 million.

It's totally worth it though. Get the lasIX and not lasEX.
Briggsy

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:09 am

I had LASIK 3 years ago
couple of points, when they say you need someone with you they are not taking the piss
the first appointment where they are just getting all the info and measurements they put a solution in you eyes to dilate the pupils,
I took the train from Basingstoke to Reading for this, on my own , smart arse mode
**** me a sunny day it was and on exiting the surgery I was blinded like a nuclear bomb had gone off, I was having to use the walls on my way back to the station like some pissed up tramp.

Surgery day , got there, everything was rechecked and in I went for the surgery, couple of drops in the eye,
laser cuts the front bit, and the flap is removed, then everything in the eye is a proper blur, few buzzes of the correction laser, flap is replaced and the difference is immediate
had to sit in the waiting room for an hour , then was rechecked again

once the anesthetic wore of it was akin to cutting rather strong onions, home one our later and took the advice given and went for a sleep in the rather weird like goggles you have to use when sleeping
woke 2 and half hours later, onion pain gone, very light gritty feel for the rest of the day but not painful

next day , no gritty feel at all

I had what they call mono-vision
so my right eye (the lasered one) now sees in distance
My left eye not lasered works for reading
at first a little weird but the brain soon learns to adapt and after a few days I could not notice unless I closed one or the other eye

I chose this option after advice from the surgery, as a test I used one contact lens for a few weeks to see how I would adjust

3 years on I dont regret getting this done, I have no bins or contact lenses anymore
FreeWheeling

Postby Briggsy on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:45 pm

I should add I'm now 28, so had it done almost 9 years ago now.

My eye sight has gotten slightly worse since I had it done. I'd say I'm probably -0.25 either side (maybe -0.5)

Still obviously very happy with it.

I think considering I was paying £30/pm for contacts, plus a pair of glasses every now and then, I'm not far off breaking even money wise.
Briggsy

Postby warp on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:43 pm

DasNutNock wrote:As is my understanding, you can fly to South Africa to have laser eye surgery for less money than it costs to do here. Certainly was the case 10 years ago, anyway, when loads of people from work were having it done there.

a friend of mine had it in korea, said it was about £500 for both eyes.
follow up checks are nearly as expensive, but you can fly back and have them with your doc.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:53 pm

Hammerite wrote:But how would you fly back with patches on your eyes :wink:

Take SuperGuideDog?
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:55 pm

WTF? There's actually a SuperDog called "Krypto"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krypto
DasNutNock

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:59 pm

A work colleague had it done some years ago. He described the pain as 'somebody sandpapering your sunburn'. He said it was worth it after the pain finally went.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Hammerite on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:25 pm

Thanks for the insight guys...much appreciated.

Can I ask those that have had it done to name the organisation that undertook the procedure for you and how much you paid please!

Thanks
Hammerite

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:13 pm

optical express Reading
Cant remember the price, i got 20% off as I work for the MoD :D
FreeWheeling

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:21 pm

As someone who is very short-sighted (minus 5.75 in each eye), and who has worn glasses since I was 7 and contact lenses since I was 14 (26 years), I have often considered Laser treatment

However, i just don't think i can do it. The thought of something going wrong (however small that chance) fills me with terror
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:36 pm

My asshole was like a deflating balloon before I went in, lot of worry about nothing
FreeWheeling

Postby Hammerite on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:42 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:As someone who is very short-sighted (minus 5.75 in each eye), and who has worn glasses since I was 7 and contact lenses since I was 14 (26 years), I have often considered Laser treatment

However, i just don't think i can do it. The thought of something going wrong (however small that chance) fills me with terror

I'm a bit like you CH, but I'm done with the faff, glasses, contact lenses, now glasses for reading when I'm wearing contact lenses.

Plus I do a reasonable amount of diving and I'm always mindful of losing my dive mask, which is a whole other ball ache I could without.
Hammerite

Postby cockney hammer on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:07 am

stuff i had done was because of macular degeneration in my eyes i have bleeding behind the eye balls i can not put in to weords the pain i go through talking to people who have had other stuff it is not to bad
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby Clucking Bell on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:09 pm

I had it done nearly twenty years ago and it's been great.

A couple of things though. There are two ways of cutting the flap: a microkeratome, which is a mechanical device or a femto laser. According to my mate, who's a researcher in this field as well as being an ophthalmologist, the latter is generally the way to go although a good surgeon will have both tools and make the decision based on your specific circumstances.

The second thing is that people heal at different rates. I heal very quickly and this meant that I had to go back after a month for a second operation as I was only 20/30 after the first operation. Now, I'm 20/10 in my left eye and 20/15 in my right.

Finally, it is fairly scary. The world was falling out of my bottom at regular intervals until the nice lady came along with the valium :D

I had mine done in Canada by one of the most experienced guys on the planet and I think I paid $5,000.

One thing to be aware of is that the excimer lasers require a key card to work i.e. it costs the surgeon about $400 (well, it did ten years ago) per eye just to do the work. If you're paying less than a grand for each eye, you've probably got either an inexperienced surgeon or a bloke that's piling 'em high and selling them cheap.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby FreeWheeling on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:30 pm

checked my records £2400 for the one eye and that included the 20% discount so would have been £3000
FreeWheeling

Postby Hammerite on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks fellas :thup:
Hammerite

Postby Samba on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Hammerite wrote:Thanks fellas :thup:

Had it done in 2003.
Optimax Croydon, Lasik, £500 per eye. Sure it would be more now. More types of treatment now, as well.
Chose a top professor to do it. Not a great deal of pain afterwards unlike earlier PRK....
Had worse dental appointments.
Would not go abroad for it.
Glad I did it?
100%
What's your prescriptions, H?
Samba

Next

Return to The Snug