Essex police speed enforcement

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Essex police speed enforcement

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 pm

I tried explaining the GPS/Speedo difference to the other half when she had a moan for me doing 76 on a 70. She didn't really get it and was adamant I was well over the speed limit.

I waited til she slept (only a drive from Chelmsford to Diss) and cracked a wry smile when I bombed it down the A14.
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby mushy on Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:50 pm

mumbles87 wrote:
Question is should in the day and age of budget cuts should they be funding traffic police... they should be diverting funds to say local police on the street

mumbles87 wrote:On the flip side a simple stop for speeding can lead to them finding other issues like drunk drivers.

How do you find other issues if you stop funding traffic police then?
mushy

Postby jevs on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:52 pm

mumbles87 wrote:
Question is should in the day and age of budget cuts should they be funding traffic police... they should be diverting funds to say local police on the street

Ask 9/10 people they would rather have a local police presence like the old days as opposed to the traffic cops

That's all very well until the local OB knock on your door at 2am telling you your girlfriend/parent/child/sibling etc etc has just been killed by a speeding driver. Then you'll be asking why there wasn't more traffic cops on the road when they're all on the street nicking school kids for pinching a few sweets from the local corner shop.
jevs

Postby only1post on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Without wanting to hijack the thread, my lad has an interview with Essex Police in the next two weeks. (Always wanted to be a copper for some weird reason).

Any sensible advice would be most welcome.
only1post

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:13 pm

only1post wrote:Without wanting to hijack the thread, my lad has an interview with Essex Police in the next two weeks. (Always wanted to be a copper for some weird reason).

I have no pleasure in saying this. But he will change. Police deal with low life scum on a daily basis. It changes their outlook on life unfortunately.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:51 am

Hugh Jargon II wrote:
I've made a official complaint.

What are you actually complaining about? :?
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Hindley Hammer on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:53 am

only1post wrote:Without wanting to hijack the thread, my lad has an interview with Essex Police in the next two weeks. (Always wanted to be a copper for some weird reason).

He can't become a copper, he knows his dad! :D
Hindley Hammer

Postby Samba on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:51 am

-DL- wrote:You don't have to keep looking at your speedo. A quick glance every few seconds is all that's needed. If you're unable to do that safely, then I'd question whether you ought to be on the road in the first place.

Critics said strict enforcement at 1mph over the limit would actually be more dangerous.
AA president Edmund King said: “The last thing we want is drivers glued to the speedometer 100 per cent of the time. We want drivers to concentrate on the road ahead.”
Tory MP Sir Greg Knight warned a zero tolerance approach to speeding would “make criminals of good drivers.”
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby mumbles87 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Finished fitting the second dash cam in the Civic today

Really easy once you get the hang.. hardwired into the fuse box

Comes on with the engine , then when engine goes off turns the cam off after 10 seconds

Same with the HRV aswell

Halfords wanted £30 per cam to fit

Private fitter (come to house job) wanted £100-115 per car with a £15 lol discount for the second car if could be done same day

Im crap at diy so took me few hours but once I got the hang I finished off the Civic and earthed the circuit in 20 mins

Total cost of fitting £10 in bits and bobs (fuses etc)

£250 total cost for 2 cars

Cheers Hugh for the idea
mumbles87

Postby sendô on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Ah yes, speeding. The be-all and end-all of road safety.

I like the variable speed limits on motorways with accompanying speed cameras. The other day on the M4 I saw the sign on the gantry change from 60mph to 40mph as I approached. Was I supposed to slam on my anchors?
sendô

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:11 pm

I’ve complained about her lack of regard for her own safety. Lack of professionalism. Basically she is a special and if she is going for full time I want to damage her because she was an obnoxious condescending ****hole.

As for the speeding. Guilty as charged. It’s a fair cop. Pardon?
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Samba on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 pm

mumbles87 wrote:Finished fitting the second dash cam in the Civic today
Really easy once you get the hang.. hardwired into the fuse box
Total cost of fitting £10 in bits and bobs (fuses etc)
£250 total cost for 2 cars
Cheers Hugh for the idea

:thup:
Nice one, mumbles.
The only thing that would worry me is how nickable are they or will you take them out, each time?
Bit like a sat-nav, I guess.
Samba

Postby Samba on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:19 pm

sendô wrote:Ah yes, speeding. The be-all and end-all of road safety.
I like the variable speed limits on motorways with accompanying speed cameras. The other day on the M4 I saw the sign on the gantry change from 60mph to 40mph as I approached. Was I supposed to slam on my anchors?

Many do, don't they sendô.
I was very nearly twatted by someone on the A13 once when I was on a motorbike.
They hit the lines on the road & slammed their anchors on even though there was no camera to go with the lines..
Samba

Postby mumbles87 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:21 am

Samba wrote: :thup:
Nice one, mumbles.
The only thing that would worry me is how nickable are they or will you take them out, each time?
Bit like a sat-nav, I guess.

Ill be honest I leave it in the car, I could disconnect it and put it in the glove box no issue but ive made it so just forget about it behind the mirror

only downside is in the civic it is now interfering with the DAB I plumbed in 6 months ago lol... think ive got a solution

loving this though never been very DIY.. specially with the car.. so I'm delighted that ive managed to fit them so they look almost professional .. hard wiring to the fuse box aswell delighted.
mumbles87

Postby chigwells finest on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:36 am

morale at an all time low , desperately under manned , just cannot provide the service that most signed up for
chigwells finest

Previous

Return to The Snug