Essex police speed enforcement

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Essex police speed enforcement

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:49 pm

Had the old dreaded emerging from behind a bush with a gun today. Guilty as charged (assuming it was accurate reading)

I objected to the verbal drivel though. Endangering pedestrian was mentioned despite plod standing inn the middle of the road without hi vis!

Unbelievable. 32 years a fire fighter and I've never seen a firefighter without his or her hi vis on the roadway.

I've made a official complaint. £100 well spent.
Last edited by Hugh Jargon II on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Jargon II

Re: Essex police speed enforcement

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:15 pm

I got 6 points at 18 and meant loss of licence retake test

Anyways driving through Chelmsford after passing again doing 34 in what I genuinely believed was a 40mph road being pushed from behind by another car get the same copper in the road job

Fair cop once he pointed out it was a 30. But I didn’t like how I was lucky to have a second chance bull crap and how he thought I’d be more careful.. mate I thought it was 40 and doing 34 that’s careful twat

Then go to give my documents at the station can’t find my insurance cert so lady at hornchurch was very rude saying come back when you have it otherwise I’ll do you for driving without insurance

I turned round and said wait so your computer can tell you when I don’t have it to pull me over and do me for no insurance but can’t be used here? Right

Lost a lot of respect for the police in that week. Lots of good ones ofc but jobsworths like that when people are trying to just pay their fine jog on
mumbles87

Postby Samba on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Had the old dreaded emerging from behind a bush with a gun today. Guilty as charged (assuming it was accurate reading)

I'm surprised that he wasn't camouflaged as a tree, Hugh.
Ok, you were speeding. Easy money for them, ain't it? Despite it probably being more dangerous to spend as much time looking at your speedo, as the road ahead.
We're told (& we know) there ain't enough police, yet they're content to put scarce resources into very low level criminality, imo..
Samba

Location: Seriously hoping that we are not going to be next season's Everton..

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:11 pm

Samba wrote:I'm surprised that he wasn't camouflaged as a tree, Hugh.
Ok, you were speeding. Easy money for them, ain't it? Despite it probably being more dangerous to spend as much time looking at your speedo, as the road ahead.
We're told (& we know) there ain't enough police, yet they're content to put scarce resources into very low level criminality, imo..

You would think with all the new fancy cameras and less loss of revenue due to film being destroyed by being set on fire. Lower running costs too. That as a country we would switch away from points.. go to fines .. then just use the cameras to fund the police to investigate other areas
mumbles87

Postby -DL- on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:25 pm

Don't speed, they don't make money.

But of course, it's the police's fault when they catch you.

You don't have to keep looking at your speedo. A quick glance every few seconds is all that's needed. If you're unable to do that safely, then I'd question whether you ought to be on the road in the first place.

34 in a 30. No fine.

45 in a 40. No Fine.

56 in a 50. No fine.

67 in a 60. No fine.

79 in a 70. No fine.

Drivers have enough leeway to avoid getting nicked. Many don't and find it easier to blame the police.

So what if the copper was hiding in a bush? If you wasn't speeding, he wouldn't have given you a ticket.

Of course, I'm nowhere near saying I'm perfect - and there are times I put my foot down and go quicker than the speed limit - but I also know that if I were to get caught, I wouldn't blame it on covert police, a speed camera, or anything else beyond my control.

It would be my own stupid fault.

And I don't buy this 'They should be targeting other criminals'. They are traffic police. The clue is in the name.

Revenue makers indeed. Stop giving them money by speeding then...
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:34 pm

-DL- wrote:Don't speed, they don't make money.

Question is should in the day and age of budget cuts should they be funding traffic police... they should be diverting funds to say local police on the street

Ask 9/10 people they would rather have a local police presence like the old days as opposed to the traffic cops
mumbles87

Postby -DL- on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:46 pm

Yeah and let everybody on the roads do exactly what they please.

That'll work.

So whose going to go to RTC's then?

Whose going to have the ANPR equipment in their cars to stop uninsured drivers and drivers of stolen vehicles, or vehicles with markers on the registration as they've been involved in 'proper' crime?

Whose going to stop the drug/drink drivers?

Whose going to stop the dangerous drivers?

Whose going to patrol the roads and motorways impounding dangerously defective cars, vans, lorries and other vehicles?

It won't be the traffic police, as they're now doing real police work, and the regulars will also doing other policey things.

I could go on, but I won't, but I think you catch my drift.

I don't think you've really thought this through.

Give Hugh his dues, he's only slagged off the officer's attitude, and not traffic police themselves. Because in his profession, I'm pretty sure he knows what a thankless and grim job they sometimes have to do, as well as knowing the what the consequences are of speeding - and I don't mean the fines either.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 pm

As I said originally we have so much tech out there now we are always near a camera with anpr and average speed checks etc that we could cut the speed patrols and focus on the other parts of their traffic duties

On the flip side a simple stop for speeding can lead to them finding other issues like drunk drivers.

I agree with Hugh and like I said in my case once the correct speed of the road was pointed out I held up my hands but don’t like how they talk down to you like you have robbed a bank. If your denying it and calling them all the names under the sun then fair enough but if someone’s cooperating why not just be a bit human (not let them off or anything) and be like you know your in the wrong you admitted it.. be more careful in future and make sure you take this to your local station within a week
Last edited by Up the Junction on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote removed.
mumbles87

Postby -DL- on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:20 pm

mumbles87 wrote:As I said originally we have so much tech out there now we are always near a camera with anpr and average speed checks etc that we could cut the speed patrols and focus on the other parts of their traffic duties

You never said that originally at all. You said

mumbles87 wrote:Question is should in the day and age of budget cuts should they be funding traffic police... they should be diverting funds to say local police on the street

If anything, the amount of traffic police should be increased. There should be more speed patrols too. Not to make revenue.

Let me give you a little anecdote. I was on the way back from work a little while back after finishing an early shift. I was knackered and wanted to get home.

Not far from my house is a road called the A289, and it leads up to a roundabout called four elms. Now there was regular accidents on the road leading to this roundabout. Usually down to people speeding and hitting some poor sod on the tail back of traffic at the roundabout. It culminated in a very serious collision one day, with somebody in the queue of traffic receiving life changing injuries.

The police started to regularly have camera vans and officers with speed guns on the bridge leading up to the roundabout.

Anyway, before I realised they did this, this one morning I was going around 90 down this bit of road (It's one of those roads that's great to boot it down) and I just managed to clock the copper on the bridge, slammed on my anchors and as it turned out, I managed to scrub enough speed off and I didn't get clocked - but I spent a good few weeks thinking the ticket would come through my door.

The point is, I now can't remember the last time there was a collision of note on that stretch - but what I do know, is that I've always made sure I'm not speeding on that bit anymore as I know there's the chance they could be on the bridge - because since the time I almost got caught, I've seen them there on multiple occasions - and I doubt that I'm the only one that now consciously doesn't go as fast through there as I used to.

Now, they may have made some revenue out of that, but I would wager that just by their regular presence on that bridge, that road is a lot safer than it used to be.

If you think policing of that type should be done away with, then I think I'd be inclined to question your sanity.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:35 pm

DL read my post before your first one

mumbles87 wrote:
You would think with all the new fancy cameras and less loss of revenue due to film being destroyed by being set on fire. Lower running costs too. That as a country we would switch away from points.. go to fines .. then just use the cameras to fund the police to investigate other areas

So yes that’s what I orginally said on the matter
mumbles87

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Fair enough DL but there will be people waking up this morning having been victims of crime. Not enough police resources. Today was targeted. Parents were picking kids up from duke of Edinburgh 24 hr ex. They must have nicked about 40% of us. Sunday afternoon. Sure I was guilty but I wasn't dangerous. If I was I would have mowed down the idiotic police officer who thinks she can stand in the middle of the road in black, no hi vis, no hat. Arrogant pig she was. Left a special to do the paperwork so she could nip off and get another collar.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:03 pm

N/A
Hugh Jargon II

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:06 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Fair enough DL but there will be people waking up this morning having been victims of crime. Not enough police resources. Today was targeted. Parents were picking kids up from duke of Edinburgh 24 hr ex. They must have nicked about 40% of us. Sunday afternoon. Sure I was guilty but I wasn't dangerous. If I was I would have mowed down the idiotic police officer who thinks she can stand in the middle of the road in black, no hi vis, no hat. Arrogant pig she was. Left a special to do the paperwork so she could nip off and get another collar.

See for me that’s just wrong

If you had say not noticed or not stopped and hit her yes you would be wrong but for the rest of your life you would live with the fact you hit someone

Someone who deliberately put themselves there

New craze at the moment of idiot kids on push bikes doing wheelies towards you. If you hit them your obvs in the wrong , when will it stop? When some poor sod hits these morons

Bit diff that she is a grown police lady but still didn’t need to do it to.. can be done without standing theee
mumbles87

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 pm

No chance I would have hit her as I was fully in control. But I've seen enough carnage on our roads to guarantee 100% she was being completely reckless. She was an idiot.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Samba on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:00 am

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Fair enough DL but there will be people waking up this morning having been victims of crime. Not enough police resources. Today was targeted. Parents were picking kids up from duke of Edinburgh 24 hr ex. They must have nicked about 40% of us. Sunday afternoon. Sure I was guilty but I wasn't dangerous. If I was I would have mowed down the idiotic police officer who thinks she can stand in the middle of the road in black, no hi vis, no hat. Arrogant pig she was. Left a special to do the paperwork so she could nip off and get another collar.

Of course, we all know why she wasn't in hi vis or even wearing a hat, you might have spotted her early & slowed down before she could nick you.
Entrapment & officious bo**ocks.
She wasn't there to slow people down (as a camera would), she was simply there, on a money making exercise.
It probably isn't even a particularly, dangerous road.
They're never there on roads where schools are, or there down my 20mph side turning where stupid, ignorant c**ts regularly put their foot down, REALLY endangering the public, are they?
No, they'll be there on a long, straight, safe road, because it's easier & easy money.
How about instead, they stand there using a camera with a telephoto lens, taking pictures of drivers using their mobiles, which some would argue is just as much, if not far more dangerous, than slightly going over the speed limit, even when it is not particularly dangerous to anyone else around at that time, to be doing so.
Samba

Location: Seriously hoping that we are not going to be next season's Everton..

Postby jevs on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:36 am

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Fair enough DL but there will be people waking up this morning having been victims of crime. .

Of course, there could also be people waking up this morning with a couple of traffic officers at their door about to tell them that their 20 year old son or daughter has been killed after getting hit by a speeding driver.
jevs

Postby Shy Ted on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:28 pm

I was caught earlier this year 39 in a 30 mph zone.
I done the course for £100, I think they explained it as 3rd gives you 30mph, 4th gives you 40mph, 5th gives you 50mph and above.
When I'm in a 30 mph zone I am now always in third gear.
Shy Ted

Postby mumbles87 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Shy Ted wrote:I was caught earlier this year 39 in a 30 mph zone.
I done the course for £100, I think they explained it as 3rd gives you 30mph, 4th gives you 40mph, 5th gives you 50mph and above.
When I'm in a 30 mph zone I am now always in third gear.

what the hell? drive in 3rd gear sod that what bad advise.. in 3rd you can get more speed up quicker than in 5th at those lower speeds

modern cars have 6 or 7 gears.. im always in 6th around the 30 zones for best fuel consumption ... cant rush away in 6th.. you can in 3rd

infact in my old BMW I could start in 3rd and get all way up to 70 without needing to change..
mumbles87

Postby -DL- on Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:55 pm

^^^^ Contrary to popular belief, driving at 30 MPH in 6th would use more fuel than in 3rd or 4th...

And yes, you can build up speed quicker if you put your foot down, but feathering the throttle to cruise at 30 is actually the best way - maybe 4th depending on the gear ratios of your car, but as soon as you take your foot off, you immediately have engine braking.

Driving your car properly using the right gear, and you'll be surprised at just how much fuel you save, and also, just how little you actually use your brakes.

There's a reason why even when travelling at normal speeds from Strood to Plumstead that I get 80-85 MPG.

God these amateur drivers ;)
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby mumbles87 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:03 pm

-DL- wrote:^^^^ Contrary to popular belief, driving at 30 MPH in 6th would use more fuel than in 3rd or 4th...

And yes, you can build up speed quicker if you put your foot down, but feathering the throttle to cruise at 30 is actually the best way - maybe 4th depending on the gear ratios of your car, but as soon as you take your foot off, you immediately have engine braking.

Driving your car properly using the right gear, and you'll be surprised at just how much fuel you save, and also, just how little you actually use your brakes.

There's a reason why even when travelling at normal speeds from Strood to Plumstead that I get 80-85 MPG.

God these amateur drivers ;)

Depends completely on the gear ratios

Yes on your buses this may work but when my car tells me which gear to select for best fuel economy I’m sure the Japanese know what they are talking about

The other car the cvt does the work
mumbles87

Next

Return to The Snug