Essex police speed enforcement

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Essex police speed enforcement

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:03 pm

The only time I’ve ever spoken to a copper about anything, other than the time I reported a burglary and they didn’t do anything, was when I got cut up by an unmarked car in Surbiton. C*nt hooned past me on the near side lane in order to get in front of me to avoid a parked car, nearly colliding with me. I sounded my horn, so he switched on his lights, screeched to a stop, and steamed out of the car before furiously yelling at me about how “we filter round here, MATE!!l” and making a gesture with his hands to demonstrate filtering (which he hadn’t just done). My wife and I sat there dumbfounded at his display of fuckwittery as he jumped back into the car and swerved off.

I’ve been caught speeding twice and did a speed awareness course each time. Was happy to take the financial and time penalty on the chin and accepted it was my fault each time. But after that incident with P. C. Fuckface, I’ve completely understood why people get so wound up by condescending coppers.
DasNutNock

Postby -DL- on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:10 pm

mumbles87 wrote:
Depends completely on the gear ratios

Yes on your buses this may work but when my car tells me which gear to select for best fuel economy I’m sure the Japanese know what they are talking about

The other car the cvt does the work

It's got **** all to do with busses you wally. Couldn't give a **** on the consumption of them, it's not my fuel.

I know exactly when a 6 speed civic tells you to change up or down, I'm calling b*llocks as that's what I do 400 miles a week in, and if you go at 30 MPH in 6th it's telling you to select a lower gear - unless you've got a Type-R which will happily go at 30 in 6th due to the sheer amount of torque it has. But it would still be not as economical as being in the correct gear.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby mumbles87 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:19 pm

Well when I next drive the manual in a few weeks I’ll try it out and see how much difference it makes
mumbles87

Postby Samba on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:32 pm

Must admit, last car I had was seriously f***ed up & I couldn't have speeded, if I'd wanted to.
Amazing difference it makes. Much better fuel economy & wear & tear, never had to worry about speed cameras or traps & I always got to destinations, less stressed & less tired & probably not a lot later than anyone else, would have.
Mind you, the speed merchant, James Hunts behind me, were bursting blood vessels...
You do get that if you stick to speed limits, unfortunately.
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby mumbles87 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Does anyone have a dash cam?

Thinking of investing in 2 for the cars

Would love to see one used in hughs situation as part of his complaint against the officer

Oh here is the uploaded clip of the officer in question thanks
mumbles87

Postby Mega Ron on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:08 pm

I got a speeding ticket in Chelmsford as I was taking my wife to hospital when she was in labour.

It was a camera not an officer.

I wrote to them explaining the situation and received a reply from Essex Police telling me the ticket had been rescinded and congratulating us on the new addition to our family.
Mega Ron

Postby Hammersfaniow on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:53 pm

DL, when you list the speeds with what you can go up to without being fined, 34 in a 30, 79 in a 70 etc, I’m assuming that you can still get points/awareness course no matter how much you’re over the speed limit ?
Hammersfaniow

Postby Samba on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:35 am

mumbles87 wrote:Does anyone have a dash cam?
Would love to see one used in hughs situation as part of his complaint against the officer

Still thinking about getting one.
Be lovely to have the sort of car with one, front & back, factory fitted as standard.
Samba

Postby Samba on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:39 am

Mega Ron wrote:I got a speeding ticket in Chelmsford as I was taking my wife to hospital when she was in labour.
It was a camera not an officer.
I wrote to them explaining the situation and received a reply from Essex Police telling me the ticket had been rescinded and congratulating us on the new addition to our family.

This is a good example. If you had a genuine, compelling reason why you were speeding, sometimes they are understanding.
Samba

Postby Samba on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:06 am

Hammersfaniow wrote:DL, when you list the speeds with what you can go up to without being fined, 34 in a 30, 79 in a 70 etc, I’m assuming that you can still get points/awareness course no matter how much you’re over the speed limit ?

Jumping straight in, sorry DL!
The 'leeway' is 10% plus 2mph.
So, for 30, you could be doing 35 & get away with it.
However, these leeway's are only 'advisory' to police. 31 in a 30 is still, breaking the law.
In theory, a copper could use his discretion, the other way & nick you for doing 31, although this is probably, unheard of.
SO, you probably wouldn't get points/awareness course for doing 35 in a 30, but in theory, you could!
Samba

Postby Hammersfaniow on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:37 am

Samba wrote:Jumping straight in, sorry DL!
The 'leeway' is 10% plus 2mph.
So, for 30, you could be doing 35 & get away with it.
However, these leeway's are only 'advisory' to police. 31 in a 30 is still, breaking the law.
In theory, a copper could use his discretion, the other way & nick you for doing 31, although this is probably, unheard of.
SO, you probably wouldn't get points/awareness course for doing 35 in a 30, but in theory, you could!

Thanks Samba, I was gonna say because I got done by a mobile camera doing 34 in a 30 and took the awareness course, and on it they said what you did above, that the whole 10% things is bowlocks. You can get done for whatever you do over the limit. They also said something interesting about most cars speedo’s being a little too high, so if it’s showing as 30 on the dash, you’re actually doing about 28, therefore i got caught doing 34, so my speedo may have been around 36. Not necessarily saying it’s true of every case but interesting nevertheless.
Hammersfaniow

Postby Samba on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:08 am

Hammersfaniow wrote:They also said something interesting about most cars speedo’s being a little too high, so if it’s showing as 30 on the dash, you’re actually doing about 28, therefore i got caught doing 34, so my speedo may have been around 36. Not necessarily saying it’s true of every case but interesting nevertheless.

:thup:
Thanks for the info, H. Good knowledge for us all to have.
From Sussex Police:
'Guidance issued by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) suggests when enforcement action will be taken against speeding motorists; this is usually when the relevant speed limit is exceeded by 10% plus 2 mph. However, this is for guidance purposes only, a police officer has the discretion to act outside it. Some drivers wrongly interpret it to mean that they can legally exceed the speed limit; this is most definitely not the case'.

I believe that the "buffer" is used as a guideline to allow for speedometer errors and lapses in drivers' concentration.

Also, in January 2018, Chief Constable Anthony Bangham* called for an end to the current 10 per cent plus 2mph "buffer" used by most forces before they will prosecute a driver.
He said motorists should be fined even if they are just 1mph over the limit as he urged an end to the “soft” treatment of speeders.
Mr Bingham reportedly told the Police Federation roads policing conference: “Let’s change the message… They [drivers] need to understand the law is set at the limit for a reason.
"They should not come whinging to us about getting caught.”
Mr Bingham is the National Police Chiefs’ Council lead on road policy, but it is not yet known if police forces will follow his suggestion.

Unless speedos could be manufactured to read much more accurately for the driver, I can't really see how this could come in.

*His nickname's just got to be 'Bangham up'..
Samba

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:49 am

Yeah I've got one and also used to have a helmet cam (ooeerrr missus!) for when I was commuting on the bike. They really are worth it and can help you out no end in the even of a prang (if it's not your fault). If it is, then you just need to destroy the evidence.

Hammersfaniow wrote:They also said something interesting about most cars speedo’s being a little too high, so if it’s showing as 30 on the dash, you’re actually doing about 28, therefore i got caught doing 34, so my speedo may have been around 36. Not necessarily saying it’s true of every case but interesting nevertheless.

That's definitely true on Japanese motorbikes (certainly Kawasaki anyway). It's saved my arse a few times from getting fined and points.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:53 am

Yes. The day I fitted it, I witnessed 2 accidents on the drive home from work. I'm at the point now where I'd pretty much refuse to drive any car without one. When I got clipped by a taxi a couple years back, the footage went straight to the insurer, and they paid up without question.
DasNutNock

Postby ageing hammer on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:09 am

I wouldn't blame the female cop for not having her hi vis jacket on,

after all her earrings were red and it would have just looked all wrong.
ageing hammer

Postby mumbles87 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:54 am

Where’s best place to have one installed?

I want them hard wired into the cars fuse box but have the wires tucked away nicely

Hornchurch area

Halfords £10 to fit the kit but I’ve been told hit and miss how much they destroy the car lol
mumbles87

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Thanks Samba, I was gonna say because I got done by a mobile camera doing 34 in a 30 and took the awareness course, and on it they said what you did above, that the whole 10% things is bowlocks. You can get done for whatever you do over the limit. They also said something interesting about most cars speedo’s being a little too high, so if it’s showing as 30 on the dash, you’re actually doing about 28, therefore i got caught doing 34, so my speedo may have been around 36. Not necessarily saying it’s true of every case but interesting nevertheless.[/quote]

Re the Speedo - they can't show you as going slower than you really are so manufacturers build in a 'buffer' to avoid being penalised by the relevant regulatory body. Usually they are more accurate the slower the speed but after about 80 odd they can sometimes be a good 10% off anyway.
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby CMNinja on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Hammersfaniow wrote:DL, when you list the speeds with what you can go up to without being fined, 34 in a 30, 79 in a 70 etc, I’m assuming that you can still get points/awareness course no matter how much you’re over the speed limit ?

Not in Essex but last year I got offered a course or points for doing 34 in a 30 so you can still get penalised. As has been said, leeway is discretionary - that was actually taught on the course.

Anyone had the sanctioned speed vigilantes? Old people with a speed camera and a visi-vest - if you get caught you get a letter saying you've been put on file by the police and another infraction in X number of years will lead straight to points with no course option.
CMNinja

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:53 pm

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:Re the Speedo - they can't show you as going slower than you really are so manufacturers build in a 'buffer' to avoid being penalised by the relevant regulatory body. Usually they are more accurate the slower the speed but after about 80 odd they can sometimes be a good 10% off anyway.

Just compare with GPS, which is typically accurate to within 0.1-0.5mph of actual speed. When I'm actually doing 70mph, my golf's speedo shows 77/78mph.
DasNutNock

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:14 pm

DasNutNock wrote:
Just compare with GPS, which is typically accurate to within 0.1-0.5mph of actual speed. When I'm actually doing 70mph, my golf's speedo shows 77/78mph.

Pretty much same as my Jeep, I can go at 80 mph knowing that I am going at 77mph according to the GPS.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug