Best Drive ever ?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Best Drive ever ?

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Altai mountains from Russia to Mongolia is also something else, ruined however by bandits and ****ing robbers
FreeWheeling

Postby szola on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:54 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:Altai mountains from Russia to Mongolia is also something else, ruined however by bandits and ****ing robbers

That is the route I'm hoping to ride within ten years time. Have seen too many threads on AdvRider to recall them all... :oops:

Hoping Georgian Caucasus and the Moroccan Atlas can give me enough experience before I try my hand on Siberia & Mongolia.

Any good tour operators doing this trip, Free?
szola

Postby Clucking Bell on Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:39 am

Clucking Bell wrote:The Ford ride and handling track in Lommel being driven by Jackie Stewart. He went into every bend 20 mph faster than my sphincter would have allowed me to do and the tyres made no noise whatsoever.

It was the day I realized that I wasn't very good at driving despite being a ride and handling development engineer and doing it for a living.

DasNutNock wrote:[To be fair, most people are going to compare unfavourably with a 3-time World Champion :)

What was worse was that he was chatting to me all the way round and giving the distinct impression that he could have upped the speed by another 20 mph before he'd have actually been trying.

Sweaty ****!
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby rigoberts song on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:09 am

Another vote for the alps
Grenoble to Briancon stunning views just need "on days like these" by Matt Monroe playing.
Technically the wrong country but you get the idea.
rigoberts song

Postby Coops on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:26 am

I'm not as well travelled as a lot of you but last year we did he Sea to Sky Highway.
It starts in Vancouver and goes up into the mountains finishing up in Whistler.
That was by far the most stunning drive I have ever done.
Coops

Postby pablo jaye on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:51 am

The 27 hairpin drive up a mountain between Kotor and Lovcen in Montenegro, is stunning and also a bit scary at the same time.

This blog that I found, shows a couple of pics of the road and the view from the top, which looks out over Montenegro, Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia.

https://mahabis.com/blogs/journal/112879940-a-slow-road-trip-in-montenegro

The scary bit is the fact that the road is wide enough for about 1 and a half cars, and you have to breathe in when buses are coming in the other direction and hope that you are on the mountain side of the road. Also, the gapped-toothed local farmers overtaking on the hairpins in clapped out Ladas and Yugos were ‘interesting’ too!!
pablo jaye

Postby lewisham-mer on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Another vote for the Smoky Mountains.

Was there in september last year, and drove from gatlinburg, Tennessee to Cherokee North Carolina and then back again through to Chattanooga.

The Deep South is a real eye opener. Beautiful scenery, friendly people, Even if most are raving loony Trump supporting rednecks...

Avoid Kentucky though... more pot holes in the road than in all the other states combined(or that’s how it felt)
lewisham-mer

Postby r99c on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:58 pm

Any single carriageway in the middle of the night 3am etc, good tunes on in the car and you to yourself, bliss
r99c

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:18 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:Altai mountains from Russia to Mongolia is also something else, ruined however by bandits and ****ing robbers

szola wrote:That is the route I'm hoping to ride within ten years time. Have seen too many threads on AdvRider to recall them all... :oops:

Hoping Georgian Caucasus and the Moroccan Atlas can give me enough experience before I try my hand on Siberia & Mongolia.

Any good tour operators doing this trip, Free?

Dunno about operators chap, we were doing the Mongol Rally at the time, we were lucky that we stopped in Barnaul and then proceeded to the Western crossing of Mongolia in one day
Others stayed over in the sites within the mountain region, they were the ones robbed during the evening
If I am reading that right you are looking at travelling on two wheels?
Good luck with that on Siberian and Mongolian roads

Some vids here
https://www.youtube.com/user/aztecbikes/videos
FreeWheeling

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:04 pm

slightly offtrack (no pun intended)..used to frequent a photo site..

this bloke did a "World Ride" from Los Angeles to Tokyo going across the Mongolia desert Russia etc. - it was a fascinating "look."

He was doing a bike ride from California through South America once (before this) and was taken captive by FARC rebels in Colombia.

Anyway, here's the next adventure.......

http://www.strikingviking.net/video/

This would Shirley qualify as the Best Ride Ever !!!!!

FACT..

:lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby szola on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:51 am

FreeWheeling wrote:If I am reading that right you are looking at travelling on two wheels?
Good luck with that on Siberian and Mongolian roads

Great videos, you get the sense of just how different it is over there.

Yes, two wheels is how I prefer to travel, though not alone. I'm not a good mechanic at all, and I wouldn't like to be stuck out in the wilderness.

The Altai Mountains - Tannu Tuva - Bajkal area, with Irkutsk, are the spots in Russia where I'd love to travel. Getting through the Roads of Bones all the way to Magadan would be the sequel, after a Russia to Mongolia.

Colebatch's trip down the BAM thread on ADVrider is a good read.
szola

Postby Vince on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:41 pm

lewisham-mer wrote:Another vote for the Smoky Mountains.

Was there in september last year, and drove from gatlinburg, Tennessee to Cherokee North Carolina and then back again through to Chattanooga.

The Deep South is a real eye opener. Beautiful scenery, friendly people, Even if most are raving loony Trump supporting rednecks...

Avoid Kentucky though... more pot holes in the road than in all the other states combined(or that’s how it felt)

Driving down from Nashville to Atlanta is a decent drive, and in Kentucky driving in and around Lexington is also really nice with all the huge horse farms in that area.
Vince

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:01 pm

used to be loads of horse farms in Alpharetta..

until they developed them !!!!

:P :P :P
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Vince on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:27 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:used to be loads of horse farms in Alpharetta..

until they developed them !!!!

:P :P :P

Still are quite a few mate........as you know it's lovely around here.
Vince

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:48 pm

yeah, enjoyed my time there.....just right place at the wrong time...

Still here is lovely right now, went through hell in 'ouston working camps at Rice Uni..still, going to pay for a month on the Costa wherever over the holidays..

wine, tapas on a balcony in Barcelona/Valencia/wherever and down the coast to Xabia, Dania and/or Altea will certainly make that a pain in the rear view mirror !!!!

:thup: :thup:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Duff on Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:00 pm

The Hardknott pass in the Lake District was a lot of fun (for me, not so much the Mrs). Some weird noises coming from the car on the steepest part and I honestly thought for a second I was going to stall and roll off the hill. Definitely gets the pulses racing.

All around that area is amazing fun to drive.
Duff

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:05 pm

Haven't done as many as you guys, but my favourite I've been on is probably the roads up by Loch Lomond and through alone Loch Awe into the River Awe.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby FreeWheeling on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:58 am

szola wrote:
Great videos, you get the sense of just how different it is over there.

Yes, two wheels is how I prefer to travel, though not alone. I'm not a good mechanic at all, and I wouldn't like to be stuck out in the wilderness.

The Altai Mountains - Tannu Tuva - Bajkal area, with Irkutsk, are the spots in Russia where I'd love to travel. Getting through the Roads of Bones all the way to Magadan would be the sequel, after a Russia to Mongolia.

Colebatch's trip down the BAM thread on ADVrider is a good read.

That would be some journey in that part of the world :thup:
The road of bones also to Magadan ! , would you then go across to the States ?

I will check out that read , cheers

Weird thing we noticed was driving east for a whole month, crossing 8 time zones and then flying back in 10 hours
FreeWheeling

Postby chigwells finest on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:35 am

used to love driving , can honestly say i despise every minute behind the wheel now , thankfully its about 10 miles a week , now from 1500 , i seem to attract every moron ever given a licence
chigwells finest

Postby djclipz on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:31 pm

1 place I wasn't expecting was in Tenerife. A place called the Masca valley. Was surprised the rental car got up and down but the scenery was stunning! Not the longest drive in the world but it is thin winding roads that lead up and down the mountains.

I'm another for Big Sur though, would love to do that again.
djclipz

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug