New age beers

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: New age beers

Postby mushy on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:45 pm

irving boleyn wrote:
Love the place, can always find a quiet corner.... You'd still recognise it E.17.

I doubt it, Spoons did a massive refurb when they moved in, it had also had major refurbs about every decade since the 60's, including at one time.being a BierKeller, which was very popular.
Since then it was both a Chef and Brewer and a Schooner Inn (Watneys). Cant remember who had it directly before Spoons got it.
Prior to all of this it was owned by a family that also owned both The Travellers Rest, and The Globe at Borough.

Was in there prior to and after both our last two home games.
mushy

Postby Junco Partner on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Enjoying a few Adnams "Jack" Ease Up IPA right now.

Don't know if they qualify as a New Age Beer but they're going down a treat.

I may not make it through to MOTD.
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Junco Partner wrote:Enjoying a few Adnams "Jack" Ease Up IPA right now.

Don't know if they qualify as a New Age Beer but they're going down a treat.

I may not make it through to MOTD.

Ha ha

Funnily enough I'm on my 3rd Adnams New England IPA.....I was gonna buy the fight, but at 6% I'm struggling.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Aycliffe on Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:51 am

I have always been a lager drinker and always order Peroni if it is on when I visit an establishment. I am not that keen on the lagers they do in a pub near me so I recently gave the Shipyard a go on recommendation from my son and really enjoyed it so much so that the good lady has it on her shopping list now!!

When I go to the bar with my youngest (22) he spends 5 minutes having little tasters of a few ales before he decides what he wants with me and a few waiting customers raising their eyebrows :)
Aycliffe

Postby Ben on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:09 am

is any type of beer/lager/ale better to drink in terms of crap that's in them and generally better for you?
I presume lagers have more chemical stuff in them and ales are a little more natural?
is a pale ale better than darker?
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby Wembley1966 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:45 pm

^^^ There's no reason for lager to have chemical stuff in them anymore than ale. Most German beer is a lager type and would confirm to the Reinheitsgebot, the German Purity Law of 1516. The law prescribed only the use of three basic ingredients in brewing – water, malt, hops, and later on yeast (as it wasn't discovered until 1857 by Pasteur). Although no longer law (it was forbidden by EU free trade of goods in 1987), most German brewers still abide by it.

It also depends in why the chemicals are added - some might be there already in the treated water used, some might be enzymes to enhance the fermentation process. Mass produced beers are more likely to have chemicals added to maintain consistency, shelf-life and quality. There's also the use of genetically modified malt and hops to consider! As for being better for you - one of the reasons that people drank so much beer was that water supplies were so polluted that they brewed and drank beer to quench a thirst!

There's no better type of beer - it's down to individual preference and taste.
Wembley1966

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Wembley1966 wrote:As for being better for you - one of the reasons that people drank so much beer was that water supplies were so polluted that they brewed and drank beer to quench a thirst!

The reason people drank ale back in the dark and Middle Ages was because (as you rightly say) the water was largely undrinkable but the people didn't equate boiling water (which is a process of all beer brewing) and it sterilising the water. Ale was drinkable because the water had been boiled, but if the ancients had have known this, they'd probably have just drank water.
The fact this was a revelation that they'd managed to produce a drink that could be consumed without poisoning yourself was attributed to God and as such, monks got really good at brewing ale, which also helped them become self-sufficient. It is a tradition that is still in place today.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Ben on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:18 pm

cheers for that!

I've dabbled in ales for a few years and find myself more and more drawn to them now than going for lagers etc. but I still only enjoy it cold, the colder the better for me.
I know that's a huge no for some though!
Ben

Postby southbrishammer on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Is 'craft' beer in cans supposed to be better than other forms?

I was always of the opinion that bottled or draught beer tasted better, but I was in a pub last week where they had all the usual mass market beers on tap, but a chalkboard behind the bar listed their craft beers, and in general they were charging £3.80 - £4.00 for a 330ml can, and £4.20 - £5.00 for a pint, meaning you are getting 70% more beer for less than 20% extra cost. Made no sense to me.
southbrishammer

Postby sendô on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:35 pm

Well it's not automatically better, but craft beers are generally smaller brewers making different beers that the public may or may not like.

You'll get the mass produced draft stuff cheaper my measure, but most of it is watery pish.

I tend to avoid bottles of craft in pubs, better to go to a decent pub with a selection of "craft" beers on tap.

In any case, £4.20 - £5 a pint is good value. I paid £6.40 for a pint of lager a couple of weeks ago. :(
sendô

Postby EugeneSpeed on Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:52 pm

southbrishammer wrote:Is 'craft' beer in cans supposed to be better than other forms?

For the super hoppy ones that are all the rage at the moment, yeah. Cans are supposedly better than bottles as they keep the beer fresher than bottles (which let a bit of sunlight in which makes the favour fade). But I'm sure it's pretty minimal and it is getting firming into the trainspotting realm. There are certain breweries that insist on their beers being stored cold as soon as they're canned (like even using vans with chillers). I doubt most people could taste the difference but there we are.
EugeneSpeed

Postby vietnammer on Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:57 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The reason people drank ale back in the dark and Middle Ages was because (as you rightly say) the water was largely undrinkable but the people didn't equate boiling water (which is a process of all beer brewing) and it sterilising the water. Ale was drinkable because the water had been boiled, but if the ancients had have known this, they'd probably have just drank water.
The fact this was a revelation that they'd managed to produce a drink that could be consumed without poisoning yourself was attributed to God and as such, monks got really good at brewing ale, which also helped them become self-sufficient. It is a tradition that is still in place today.

Sure I read somewhere (you'd know this GCRO) that early English sailors (maybe Elizabethan era) had a beer ration of about a gallon a day. It couldn't have been very strong as that wouldn't have been practical in crewing a ship.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:26 am

vietnammer wrote:Sure I read somewhere (you'd know this GCRO) that early English sailors (maybe Elizabethan era) had a beer ration of about a gallon a day. It couldn't have been very strong as that wouldn't have been practical in crewing a ship.

Yep, 100% correct and was a tradition that was kept up until the Napoleonic wars when beer wasn't readily available. It was eight pints, which is roughly a gallon. Trouble was, beer went off quickly due to the small amount of hops in it (which preserved the beer, hence the hoppy flavour of IPA).

The Royal Navy experimented with wine as a daily ration but settled for rum in the end due to the readily available supply coming from the colonies in the Caribbean. The amount given at first was one-eighth of an pint of rum which was a mind blowing 95.5% proof! It was tested by soaking gunpowder and seeing if it was still flammable and only then could it be issued. By the mid-1850s the ration had been reduced by a hell of a lot and by the 1970s it was phased out.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Junco Partner on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Bought a few luridly coloured 330Ml cans at my local M&S doing a 4 for 3 offer.

Pick of the bunch was a Mikkeller "Hair In the Mailbox" IPA.

They're trying a bit hard with the 'quirky' name here but this poured well, nice thin head, pale orange colour, slight pineappley taste and nice bitter aftertaste. I'd make sure all four are this next time the offer comes on.

The Beavertown Lupuloid IPA was great too, maybe four of those too... :D
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby EugeneSpeed on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:25 am

Junco Partner wrote:Bought a few luridly coloured 330Ml cans at my local M&S doing a 4 for 3 offer.

Pick of the bunch was a Mikkeller "Hair In the Mailbox" IPA.

You know they've opened a bar with Rick Astley in Shoreditch?
EugeneSpeed

Postby sendô on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Shipyard Pale Ale in the local 'spoons, 3 pints thereof.

Those pubs are much maligned, but my pint plus a glass of prosecco for her came to 6 quid, or less than whatI'd normally pay for a pint in London.
sendô

Postby Ben on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:35 pm

home bargain has a selection of craft 330ml cans for 69p each.
I don't know if they are crap and just made to look the part but they tasted ok to me
Ben

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:34 pm

Ecuador
You might be surprised to discover that Ecuador’s beer economy has grown significantly over the past ten years. As the first city recognized in South America for beer brewing, Quito in particular is a destination to be considered when travelling to experience beer culture and learn about Ecuador’s beer revolution. Quito alone has twenty microbreweries and the artisanal beer industry has boomed recently, with an average bottle of craft beer going for $4.00 CDN a bottle. Fun fact: Ecuador won nine awards at the America’s Beer Cup in Chile, which has earned Ecuador a spot on the world map as it relates to international brewing.

and that price is about 2 hours of average work for los campesinos....

and I wonder if they submit a different beer at the festivals other than the ones you can buy on the supermarket shelves ? because I have tried a few and they don't know me out like the American ones do/did.

and that goes for ALL beer competitions.......

my one BIG miss from the States is going into any liquor store or supermarket and being able to get a more than passable I.P.A.

:cry:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Samba on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:43 pm

A heads up:
CAMRA The Campaign for Real Ale East London & City Branch
DECEMBER
Tue 4 – Sat 8 our very own Pigs Ear Beer Festival at the Round Chapel Hackney.
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby EugeneSpeed on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:my one BIG miss from the States is going into any liquor store or supermarket and being able to get a more than passable I.P.A.

:cry:

Whilst it's quite different here, I definitely think we're doing OK. I have a 'go to' in pretty much all of the supermarket chains. Even the Tesco garage next to my tube station sells Oskar Blues, Stone IPA etc. Often 3 for a fiver. But yeah - love wandering into a crappy looking shop in the States and seeing a massive beer fridge absolutely packed with different beers.
EugeneSpeed

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug