New age beers

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: New age beers

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:38 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:my one BIG miss from the States is going into any liquor store or supermarket and being able to get a more than passable I.P.A.

:cry:

If you really want to taste what IPA should taste like (not the stuff that is riddled with hops), then check out Fuller's Bengal Lancer. It's a great drink in it's own right but it's what an aged IPA, where the hops that were used as a preservative have mellowed and the proper flavour of the beer comes out. It's probably my favourite ale at the moment. They do them in bottles in the shop round the corner from me.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Dover KUMB fan on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:If you really want to taste what IPA should taste like (not the stuff that is riddled with hops), then check out Fuller's Bengal Lancer.

Nice of Fullers to name a beer after the Bradford police force :wink:
Dover KUMB fan

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:10 pm

GCRO

did you see where I live mate ?

:D

maybe you could pop round the corner, get a few bottles, pack them in bubble wrap and DHL them over here to me and I'll send you my report !!!!!

:lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:GCRO

did you see where I live mate ?

maybe you could pop round the corner, get a few bottles, pack them in bubble wrap and DHL them over here to me and I'll send you my report !!!!!

:lol:

Shame that! I was over in Spain in September so could have dropped some off!

There's always this place ...

https://www.drinksupermarket.com/fuller ... 56EALw_wcB
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 pm

there IS a Cuenca in Spain GCRO..

unfortunately (or fortunately however one looks at it) I'm in the one in Ecuador !!!!!!!!!!

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:15 am

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:there IS a Cuenca in Spain GCRO..

unfortunately (or fortunately however one looks at it) I'm in the one in Ecuador !!!!!!!!!!

'effin Ecuador ? Jesus ... why ? Are you a fugitive from justice of something?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Samba on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:06 am

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:there IS a Cuenca in Spain GCRO..
unfortunately (or fortunately however one looks at it) I'm in the one in Ecuador !!!!!!!!!! :D

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:'effin Ecuador ? Jesus ... why ? Are you a fugitive from justice of something?

On the run from Karren Brady's icf...
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:35 am

GCRO

beautiful place, 8500 feet up in the mountains but due to the location being close to the equator temperatures stay normally between (lo) 48 and (hi) 72 Fahrenheit of course...

record high is 82....normally spring like all year around, people are great and it's cheap as chips to live here.

trying to improve my awful Spanish but loads of people speak English and those that don't tolerate (I hope) my Spanish pronunciation..

although to be honest, every time I watch 'Allo 'Allo I keep wondering if the locals when I say "Buenos dias" they hear "Good moaning"

:D :D
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:16 pm

Nice one mate, sounds great! Not sure if I could handle the isolation though.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby sendô on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Sounds like heaven to me.

Apart from the having to learn a foreign language effort of course.
sendô

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Nice one mate, sounds great! Not sure if I could handle the isolation though.

Isolation..there's 700K people living here..in an area about a quarter of the size of London, let's say the City of London or thereabouts..

you can't get out of the house without tripping over someone !!!!!!!

my Spanish is not really brilliant but there are enough English speakers here to get about.

and of course I get by and am going to take more Spanish lessons...you want more than to be able to say hello, goodbye and how are you.....

there are lovely people and want to talk to you if you make the effort and it doesn't take that much effort.

just smile be polite and try.........

not for everyone of course, the internet and mobile phones work fine..of course being at this altitude whenever there's a storm your dish doesn't go out...(not that I have one...)

all good...AND the currency is the US dollar so my US pension is sound, my British one has lost some in the exchange rate ......still I am doing great..

watch the games and I have the 6 mps (or whatever it's called) so 25 dlrs I think....it works for the fights, the footie and the American football....downloading *ahem* stuff isn't too bad either so I am sorted for E's and Whizz..

the I.P.A. is my big miss though..

:(
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby sendô on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Isolation..there's 700K people living here..in an area about a quarter of the size of London, let's say the City of London or thereabouts..

you can't get out of the house without tripping over someone !!!!!!!

Sounds like hell to me.
sendô

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:08 pm

not literally you plonker !!!!

just reminds me of when we were kids and lived in a neighbourhood..people around, kids going to school, people riding the bus, people walking around..

local markets everywhere......downtown really a hive of activity...........the place is clean and tidy the street cleaners work 7 days a week. you see them on Sunday cleaning things up all over town.

the buses are old and pollution isn't the best, they have built a new tranvia (light rail system) and are replacing the old buses with newer ones.

cost the populace 30 cents to ride however short of long the distance and I could take the 50% discount for pensioners. kids and college students pay half fare too.

there's small parks in every neighbourhood kept up by the city, the put these little keep fit gym type tings in most, the parks are very well kept up and really it's a a throw back to 50's for me at least. all of my American friends here say the same. people have time for you if you make the time for them.

as I say, not for everyone but loads find it so.

they still don't have brilliant beer. the local brew is like Miller Lite if you've ever had that, the only saving grace is it's 1.75 a litre !!!!!!!

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Let me get this straight, there's 700,000 people living 8500 feet up in the mountains? Christ almighty, how bad must it be down at sea level that all them people want to live that high up? :shock:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:41 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Let me get this straight, there's 700,000 people living 8500 feet up in the mountains? Christ almighty, how bad must it be down at sea level that all them people want to live that high up? :shock:

there's another over 1.5 million in Quito which is at about 11000 feet I think....

it's gorgeous here mate..just takes a bit of getting used to the altitude.....

ride my bike, walk, ride the bus, and lately started playing this:

Pickleball..

https://www.pickleball.com/rules-basic- ... -s/107.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

about 10 or so people playing in the morning 3 times a week...too many right now for the one court, they're making arrangements to see if we can to get 2 going at the tennis centre.

but loads of fun..........loads of ex pats, mostly American and Canadian because it's spring like all year around.

got back in July (winter here) and now it's officially summer but I am still in shorts and tee shirts, windows open the whole day. we don't have heating or air conditioning, just like when we were kids. 'too hot' open a window, 'too cold' close it...put an extra blanket on or a sweater.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Rio on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:23 am

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:GCRO

beautiful place, 8500 feet up in the mountains but due to the location being close to the equator temperatures stay normally between (lo) 48 and (hi) 72 Fahrenheit of course...

On the minus side however poor Cuenca has been a victim of randomly being hit by Michail Antonio's efforts on goal for the last 18 months
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:08 pm

yeah this is me watching on the laptop lately....

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Modern "craft" beers make me think of these two trouser snakes:

DasNutNock

Postby Rio on Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:34 pm

beer52 come up trumps again this month. The theme being beers from the Southwest and an appearance from Wild. Quite possibly my favourite brewery
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby sendô on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Mines not arrived yet. Cmon cmon cmon cmon cmon cmon.

The missus brought back some Bruge Zot from her trip to Bruge the other day. Banging stuff.
sendô

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug