Annual Gas Safety Check - Havering council?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Annual Gas Safety Check - Havering council?

Postby Briggsy on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:42 am

So I received a letter from a company named K&THeating, informing me that they are a subcontractor for the Havering Borough Council. The letter informs me that I'm legally obligated to allow a engineer to come to my house & do a gas safety check and if I refuse then I'll be taken to court!

Has anyone else received this in the Havering area and if so, is it legitimate?

Not quite sure why they want to do a gas safety check. My property is electric only!
Briggsy

Re: Annual Gas Safety Check - Havering council?

Postby James P on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:51 am

Do you live in a council or PSL property?
James P

Postby screech on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:39 pm

they are legitimate letters
they have just sent the same for the epping district with their chosen gas company
seems suspicious but they are genuine :thup:
screech

Postby sendô on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Ring the council and check.

Being overly aggressive and threatening court action at the drop of a hat does sound like Havering council though.
sendô

Postby Briggsy on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 pm

James P wrote:Do you live in a council or PSL property?

I'm a homeowner in a lease hold property.
Briggsy

Postby Briggsy on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:06 pm

sendô wrote:Ring the council and check.

Being overly aggressive and threatening court action at the drop of a hat does sound like Havering council though.

I called the council twice, got through to two different people on the helpdesk. They had no idea what I was talking about and had no idea who to transfer me to!

There is information on the Havering Council website regarding gas safety, but the subcontractor the council said they use are a different company to the one who sent me a letter. It could have changed, however.
Briggsy

Postby Briggsy on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:07 pm

screech wrote:they are legitimate letters
they have just sent the same for the epping district with their chosen gas company
seems suspicious but they are genuine :thup:

What did your letter say, if you mind me asking mate?

Did it mention anything about taking you to court?
Briggsy

Postby James P on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Briggsy wrote:I'm a homeowner in a lease hold property.

Council Leaseholders do have to provide an annual gas safety certificate. Normally though you would just be asked to arrange for the check to be completed privately and then provide a copy of the certificate rather than the council sending their contractor to you. That's slightly odd. Have you recently completed a Right to Buy? It could be they still think this is a tenanted property.
James P

Postby Briggsy on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:26 pm

James P wrote:Council Leaseholders do have to provide an annual gas safety certificate. Normally though you would just be asked to arrange for the check to be completed privately and then provide a copy of the certificate rather than the council sending their contractor to you. That's slightly odd. Have you recently completed a Right to Buy? It could be they still think this is a tenanted property.

I only moved into the property in March. I purchased so have never lived in the property via council.

I think the previous owned was renting the property out, so I suspect they we're doing it via the council to council tenants?

I'm not really sure how the whole council process works.
Briggsy

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:51 pm

Briggsy wrote:I only moved into the property in March. I purchased so have never lived in the property via council.

I think the previous owned was renting the property out, so I suspect they we're doing it via the council to council tenants?

I'm not really sure how the whole council process works.

You'd need to check the conditions of the leasehold, but I would have thought as long as you used a gas safe registered gas engineer, you should be allowed to use anyone.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby 3times on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:33 pm

As a residential homeowner you do not need a gas safety certificate - only landlords do. The fact that your property is leasehold should not matter, unless its a condition of the lease. If so your solicitor should have pointed this out to you.

I think the company are trying it on.
3times

Postby sendô on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:19 pm

It sounds like this firm are massively trying it on. Best to send them a letter back telling them explicitly to feck orf.

Best to send some turds with the letter too, just in case they don't take the hint.
sendô

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Probably right.

I was contacted by a water testing company telling me that as a landlord I had to undertake a legionella risk assessment and possibly sign up to a water treatment regime depending on the results of the RA. They wanted to charge me over £150 for the initial survey, plus the costs of any remedial works.

I told them that I am happy to do so over the phone.

Small house, no tank fed taps (in fact no tank), no showers in the property - therefore no aerosols present, full household - so no standing water in the pipework, no dead-legs that I am aware of, boiler regularly serviced with the thermostat set to just over 60'C, asked if I had missed anything? and if not,where do I send my invoice to?

Cheeky fookers, trying it on. Told my management agent about this and suggested that they do more research before pushing this out to the other landlords as it sounded like a right old rip off..
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby Briggsy on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:27 pm

Cheers everyone, pretty sure it's a scam so just going to ignore them :thup:
Briggsy

Postby Wembley1966 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:03 am

Were they implying that they were going to charge you for the visit? Even if you were a tenant, it would be the landlords responsibility to ensure that there was a gas certificate and they would pay for the testing.

I would think that they still think that the property is rented and possibly they did a test 12 months ago and simply trying to get repeat business. Check whether they are going to charge you - if not there's no harm in having a check. If they are going to charge you, tell them that you'll need to liaise with Rogue Traders to arrange an appointment.
Wembley1966

Postby screech on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 am

Briggsy wrote:
What did your letter say, if you mind me asking mate?

Did it mention anything about taking you to court?

Yes it did mention legal action if access was denied, the inspection was done last week by the "preferred company" they done a quick boiler inspection and checked the meter etc, signed off the safety certificate and that was that.

On a similar note there have been reports of men entering peoples gardens in Loughton during the night.
Turns out its Thames water engineers checking for leaks and say the best time to check is at night for pressure drops, surely they should be notifying residents if their property needs to be accessed at any time let alone in the dark of night. imagine the legal action if you gave someone a clump or if they were attacked by your dog
screech

Return to The Snug