New Book from Brownout - Remote Stations

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

New Book from Brownout - Remote Stations

Postby brownout on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Combining a love of remote places and of travelling on our more interesting trains, Peter Caton visits forty of Britain’s most lonely railway stations. His travels take him to all four corners of the country; to the top of a snowy mountain, to moors, hills and marshes, and even a mile out to sea, as he rides on some of our most scenic railway lines. Along the way he unearths stories of some bizarre accidents, tales of human endeavour and railway history. He finds a station that closed before it officially existed, wonders why some survived, laments others that should never have been lost and on finding that one of his forty stations is proposed for closure joins the battle to try to save it.

Peter enjoys walks along deserted coast and countryside and discovers five stations that closed long ago. His choice covers a wide variety of stations including a few on resurrected narrow gauge railways. Some are well known, others obscure. He often writes that the train stopped ‘just for me’ and the station ‘serves nowhere at all’.

Remote Stations is written with a railway theme but is not a heavy or technical railway book. It will also appeal to those who enjoy an easy reading travel book describing journeys to some of the most remote parts of Britain.

Peter Caton has travelled widely across the UK, by train and on foot. Remote Stations continues his theme of travel, railway and walking books, combining his love of interesting trains with remote places. It follows The Next Station Stop in which he travelled 10,000 miles around the UK comparing modern rail travel with that of his youth.

Available now post free from https://www.swanbooks.co.uk/product-pag ... eter-caton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brownout

Re: New Book from Brownout - Remote Stations

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:46 pm

Purchased.

I shall look forwards to reading it.
Mega Ron

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:51 pm

You’ve got a better job than me, Browny.
DasNutNock

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:25 pm

A fella I used to work with has a youtube channel which is based on all things railways and is pretty similar to this subject in some ways. He holds the record for stopping at every single tube station on the map in 24 hours. He's train mad.
I saw an alert for one of his new videos today and at first I thought, well he's a bit of a weirdo but then I thought good luck to the fella. He's doing what he enjoys and he's passionate (not to mention very knowledgable about the subject) and has created a fairly successful YouTube in the process.

Oh and he's a Spurs fan.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby brownout on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:A fella I used to work with has a youtube channel which is based on all things railways and is pretty similar to this subject in some ways. He holds the record for stopping at every single tube station on the map in 24 hours. He's train mad.
I saw an alert for one of his new videos today and at first I thought, well he's a bit of a weirdo but then I thought good luck to the fella. He's doing what he enjoys and he's passionate (not to mention very knowledgable about the subject) and has created a fairly successful YouTube in the process.

Oh and he's a Spurs fan.

Is that Geoff Marshall who with his partner Vicky Pipe travelled to or through all 2,563 UK stations last summer?
brownout

Postby brownout on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:35 pm

DasNutNock wrote:You’ve got a better job than me, Browny.

The main reason I started my own business 28 years ago was to have the freedom to be flexible on working times. Took a few years to get there but it was worth it.
brownout

Postby Wembley1966 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:19 am

Just ordered Suffolk Coast Walk as we'll be there in a couple of weeks time walking the dog along the beaches and visiting pubs on the journey.
Wembley1966

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:24 am

brownout wrote:Is that Geoff Marshall who with his partner Vicky Pipe travelled to or through all 2,563 UK stations last summer?

Yes mate, that's him. He's quite an interesting bloke as it goes. Haven't seen him in a long while but used to get the occasional email from him.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby brownout on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:30 am

I met him in Wales when we were both travelling round railway stations and have had some contact since. Nice bloke.
brownout

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Good job chap, not my thing but I will let the Mrs know as she loves all that :thup:
The closest I get is a night on the Real Ale Train at Alton
FreeWheeling

Postby York Ham(mer) on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Any Yorkshire stations in tha book?
York Ham(mer)

Postby brownout on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:31 pm

York Ham(mer) wrote:Any Yorkshire stations in tha book?

Two, both on the Settle-Carlisle Line.
brownout

Postby Mega Ron on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 pm

It arrived today
Quality stamps on there. Only two of which have been stamped. I shall reuse the rest :D
Mega Ron

Postby Red Kens Slave on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Have you paid for this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=172395&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Red Kens Slave

Postby Big George on Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:29 pm

You done any media rounds? Pm me if you think I could be of help.

And congratulations, love this stuff.
Big George

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 am

I love a good travel book. I'll be having a read of this. :thup:
westham,eggyandchips

Postby brownout on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Red Kens Slave wrote:Have you paid for this thread?

http://kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... &sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if you're suggesting that I should have paid for advertising but sadly for most authors writing books doesn't come under the category of 'profit-making business'. If a book breaks even I'm delighted.
I'm sure I'd have been told if the site wasn't happy with my post but they do sell a few of my books here too. http://kumb.com/store_books.php?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brownout

Return to The Snug