Heart Broken

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Heart Broken

Postby Noble Man on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:21 pm

Absolutely gutted tonight.

We had to make the hard decision to say goodbye to our Border Terrier - Ben. He was 12 years old and has fought a number of conditions over the last few years but we heard today he has developed further conditions and we were left with no other option.

The house feels empty tonight as does my heart.
Noble Man

Re: Heart Broken

Postby sendô on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Never nice when the pooch goes.

We had two Lhasa Apsos a few years back, both went within 6 weeks of each other, both with liver failure. I'm not going to lie, I shed a tear as they were being put down.
sendô

Postby Mega Ron on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Sorry to hear that mate.
Mega Ron

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:30 pm

I do understand. Dogs and cats give us humans so much pleasure. Sad loss for you and although this probably won't be much comfort to you, but keeping an animal and watching it suffer can never be an option. Treasure the memories and pleasure Ben gave you all
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby prophet:marginal on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Noble Man wrote:Absolutely gutted tonight.

We had to make the hard decision to say goodbye to our Border Terrier - Ben. He was 12 years old and has fought a number of conditions over the last few years but we heard today he has developed further conditions and we were left with no other option.

The house feels empty tonight as does my heart.

Chin up, Nobes.
prophet:marginal

Postby S-H on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:01 pm

Sorry to hear that Nobes, got a Labrador myself and can only imagine what your going through.
S-H

Postby Harry Hound on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:15 pm

Very sorry to hear. I know it's a hard decision to make but it sounds like you made the right decision and let go before he started suffering.
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby fjthegrey on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 pm

Border terrier. Best dog going mate. Love em.
fjthegrey

Postby AnthraxDave on Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:04 pm

Aw mate, I know what you are going through.
We lost our 10 year old Papillon, Alfie, a year ago this coming Sunday.

I still miss him (and his daft antics) every single day, but the pain does ease over time.

Take care :thup:
AnthraxDave

Postby ageing hammer on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:03 pm

Sorry to hear that Nobes we had a shitzu Rocky that we had to put down a few months ago he was 13 and in a lot of pain, it is so hard and like losing a member of the family ( well he actually was ).

The old saying times a healer is true so give it time mate.
ageing hammer

Postby Samba on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:14 am

Feel for you Nobes.
Grief is the price we pay for love.
He'll always be in your hearts.
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby last.caress on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:49 am

I'm sorry to hear this, NM. Take it a day at a time. Grieve. Let it out. It will pass in time, and the lifetime of fond memories will overwhelm the loss. Doesn't seem possible right now, but that's okay. It'll come. When it's at its worst, ask yourself if the pain you're feeling is worth having had Ben in your life all those years. The answer, of course, will always be yes.

Take care, mate.
:kumb:
last.caress
Extreme w*nker

Location: Se incontri L'ultima.carezza, prega per la tua morte.

Postby Phil S on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:07 am

sorry to hear mate, we had to make that decision just over a year ago..

time does heal, even if at the time it's heartbreaking

we got his ashes in a box and bought a great big plant pot. The good lady then found a plant with his name and we have him in the pot in the garden with this plant..a nice touch and a good way to remember him.
Phil S

Postby HalfTimePie on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:39 am

Worst feeling in the world mate :cry: my dog is like my child, closest living thing to me. Hope you're holding up.
HalfTimePie

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:59 am

There's quite a few folk that fail to understand how grief stricken you can be after the loss of a family pet - a mate of mine from my gardening days had a lurcher that he'd had before he met up with his partner , that lurcher meant the world to him .
When Ben [ the lurcher ] passed away Mike had to take a week off work - some sniggered at this but I and others fully understoog his reasons for keeping away , at the time Mike and his then partner were childless and the dogs filled up that vacuum , they become your family members , your dependants and you love them as such .

Time heals but it can take months even years - I still miss the two feral cats that were born in our old byre , I tamed them over a period of weeks and they lived with us for 15 years , they'd stick to me like glue whenever I was down the garden .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby view from the shires on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:22 am

Feeling you pain Noble Man, We lost our male Bulldog this year, and although I was upset the wife took it far worse. We have 4 other dogs, but there is always a favourite / special one. Our animals are all far more than just pets and have their own unique characters and foibles.

As others have said it does get better with time. We couldn't bear to have the body disposed of so he is buried in the garden with his kong and his favourite shortbread biscuit.
view from the shires

Postby S-H on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 am

view from the shires wrote:
We couldn't bear to have the body disposed of so he is buried in the garden with his kong and his favourite shortbread biscuit.

Got something in my eye..

:cry:
S-H

Postby Patito on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:26 am

Sorry to hear that, Noble Man. Dogs really are man’s best friend.
Patito

Postby Denzil on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:42 am

It's like watching one of your own go when they do. No doubt part of the family and was very hard saying bye to my boy last year when he passed.

NM, not sure if you will get another pooch but we spread Oscars ashes under a tree on the route of his very first walk. We take our other two there every now and then and it's a nice memory walking past the tree of all the times we had with Oscar. I would recommend doing something similar if it's an option.

Rest easy Ben
Denzil

Postby Vince on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:55 pm

Sorry to hear that Noble Man, been where you are at.
Lost two of my dogs last year or so, Peanut real name Princess who was the runt of the litter that we bred, had cancer of the spine and our friend's Father was a vet and told us that if we really loved the dog, then we need to do what is best for her as she was in pain and not ourselves. Then we lost Goliath her Dad. He was a 155 lbs German Rottweiler, strong as a bull, loyal and fearless. He lived to be over 11 which is old for a Rottie. Broke my heart to see him deteriorate the last couple of months of his life ,not being able to climb the steps from the patio to the back yard. Sometimes you have to make the hard choices in life.
We have both sets of ashes.
Now have two new pups to keep me on my toes.
Vince

Next

Return to The Snug