Heart Broken

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Heart Broken

Postby cockney hammer on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:01 pm

gutted for you buddy remember the fantatic days you had together you will never be able to replace him do not no where you live but maybe go to the dogs home at battersea and home a new dog

we have two cats we are geting a little kitten soon poor little thing has lost a eye his name is stitches they wanted to put him down me and karen was having none of it so he is coming to live with us

all the best steve https://www.battersea.org.uk/
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:07 pm

Sorry to hear this mate. Losing a pet is like losing a member of the family. I've got two and would be gutted if anything happened to them. My sister has a Border Terrier and they're great dogs, great characters. If it's any consellation, if he could talk, he'd have want to have gone too. They just don't live long enough and when they go they leave a huge void in our lives.

All the best mate.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Noble Man on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks all... really appreciate all your comments. Let my wife read them and shes off again...

**** me but it difficult!!!
Noble Man

Postby AnthraxDave on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:22 pm

No worries, Nobes.
This forum was a massive help to me 12 months ago.

I also agree with what others have said about getting another Pooch. You'll never, ever "replace" Ben, but you can give another Dog a happy and loving life who, in return, will end up giving you unconditional love and quickly become part of the family :thup:
AnthraxDave

Postby S-H on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:25 pm

Mate, my dog is like my child, so sad just thinking about what you and your wife are going through, stay strong, Nobes.
S-H

Postby S-H on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:26 pm

Dogs are the best.
S-H

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Noble Man wrote:Thanks all... really appreciate all your comments. Let my wife read them and shes off again...

**** me but it difficult!!!

Firstly mate, my condolences. I know what it's like after losing my cats; it genuinely is losing a member of the family - some people might scoff (happily nobody on this thread), but it is - after all, it's why we choose to add a dog, cat or any other animal to our family in the first place, they ain't ornaments, they are an integral part of a family.

The eventual light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak, is that in time, the words on threads like these won't make you or your missus cry, but smile. Evey time i think about my late cat Sinbad, yeah it upsets me still (after 7 years), but mainly it makes me smile to remember him - and other folks' words help that too.

Once you get over that initial grief (however long that is), the memories change into something really positive. As soon as you feel ready to do it, (if you haven't already done so), put your favourite picture of the dog up on the wall, and every time you look at it, you'll smile. That way they're never gone. :thup:
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Postby jastons on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Noble Man wrote:Absolutely gutted tonight.

We had to make the hard decision to say goodbye to our Border Terrier - Ben. He was 12 years old and has fought a number of conditions over the last few years but we heard today he has developed further conditions and we were left with no other option.

The house feels empty tonight as does my heart.

I feel really sorry for you mate. As I was reading this Oscar, our Border Terrier, jumped up next to me and licked my hand. They just know.
jastons

Postby WHU Independent on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:10 pm

My condolences mate. The loss of a pet is heart-breaking and can really tear you up.

My advice FWIY - go get another one and love it. I wish I would have followed my own advice when my pet died.
WHU Independent

Postby fmgod on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:28 am

That's one thing I'll never understand people who mistreat animals/pets, just disgusts me
fmgod

Postby cockney hammer on Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:13 pm

fmgod wrote:That's one thing I'll never understand people who mistreat animals/pets, just disgusts

amen :thup: :thup: me
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby Sliema1990 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Sorry to read Noble Man.

8 weeks ago i got up to find my 8 year old Lab Retriever panting a bit . I put it down to the heat at the time.So i just let him out briefly,in the garden to go.
He came back in,had a drink and food,and lay back down.He was still fully alert and got up when the kids came down stairs,but still had this panting.So i rang the Vets.
They asked me all the questions.Is he being kept cool etc.Anyway they told me to take him in.
Took him in, he was happily wagging his tail, and playing with the vet.The Vet turned around and said we can't find anything wrong with him.He is happy enough,but we will keep him here and do an x-ray.
A couple of hours passed, and the Vet rang me. Mr B, we have done an x ray and found some fluid in the sack around his heart.Don't worry, we will drain it now,and he will be fine.
2 hours later they rang again and said they had found a tumour by his heart,and this sack was filling slowly again. They said they could keep him going by draining every 48 hrs, but he could have a heart attack at any time,Best put him down.
I went back to the Vets.They brought him in.His usual self, tail wagging,jumping up and down,and trying to get the door open. They gave him an injection. I sat on the floor.Marley put his head on my legs,and went to sleep bless him. 8 weeks on the house is not the same. In time we may get another.
Just a word of warning - Pet insurance. My insurance was with Direct Line. Vet bill came to £400 for all they did. Rang Direct Line, This not covered,that not covered.Sent me a cheque for £32.05.
Sliema1990

Postby Noble Man on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:11 pm

Sliema1990 wrote:Sorry to read Noble Man.

8 weeks ago i got up to find my 8 year old Lab Retriever panting a bit . I put it down to the heat at the time.So i just let him out briefly,in the garden to go.
He came back in,had a drink and food,and lay back down.He was still fully alert and got up when the kids came down stairs,but still had this panting.So i rang the Vets.
They asked me all the questions.Is he being kept cool etc.Anyway they told me to take him in.
Took him in, he was happily wagging his tail, and playing with the vet.The Vet turned around and said we can't find anything wrong with him.He is happy enough,but we will keep him here and do an x-ray.
A couple of hours passed, and the Vet rang me. Mr B, we have done an x ray and found some fluid in the sack around his heart.Don't worry, we will drain it now,and he will be fine.
2 hours later they rang again and said they had found a tumour by his heart,and this sack was filling slowly again. They said they could keep him going by draining every 48 hrs, but he could have a heart attack at any time,Best put him down.
I went back to the Vets.They brought him in.His usual self, tail wagging,jumping up and down,and trying to get the door open. They gave him an injection. I sat on the floor.Marley put his head on my legs,and went to sleep bless him. 8 weeks on the house is not the same. In time we may get another.
Just a word of warning - Pet insurance. My insurance was with Direct Line. Vet bill came to £400 for all they did. Rang Direct Line, This not covered,that not covered.Sent me a cheque for £32.05.

I can relate to what you've just posted.... sorry to hear this.

Just glad we had pet insurance - Tesco have paid up £0000s over the last few years. Recent premium renewal was £80 per month plus £150+ of medication. Never considered not to pay it.
Noble Man

Postby WHU Independent on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:21 pm

Sliema1990 wrote:My insurance was with Direct Line.

That's the problem right there - a bunch of thieving scum bags. I'll never use them again
WHU Independent

Postby Clacton-ammer on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:32 pm

Nobleman & Sliema, tear to my eye dudes, brings back when I lost my black Lab, feel your pain.

Took me almost 3 years to get another dog as did not want to go through the pain of losing another, but the one we have now brings so much joy, fun & love to the house, I wish I had done it earlier.

My insurance is with Argos, who knew they did Insurance? Seems great cover on paper, hopefully will not find out if they are thieving barstewards.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby Noble Man on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 pm

By way of an update I'd like to ask for people's experiences.

We've been put in touch with a re-homing centre who have 2 Border Terriers (same as Ben) who need re homed. It appears they are 2 sisters who, let's just say, don't get on.

We'er meeting one of them on Sunday and hope to adopt - aged 2.

Has anyone experience of taking on an adopted dog and/or heard of siblings being separated and how it went?
Noble Man

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:51 am

Noble Man wrote:By way of an update I'd like to ask for people's experiences.

We've been put in touch with a re-homing centre who have 2 Border Terriers (same as Ben) who need re homed. It appears they are 2 sisters who, let's just say, don't get on.

We'er meeting one of them on Sunday and hope to adopt - aged 2.

Has anyone experience of taking on an adopted dog and/or heard of siblings being separated and how it went?

My sister adopted a Cairn Terrier which was 8 years old at the time. Absolutely lovely dog, although it was pretty indifferent to her Border Terrier. They tolerate each other but they aren't that close to be honest. Both have their individual characters and are lovely dogs though.

Either way, you're doing the right thing adopting / re-homing a dog rather than paying a breeder. We've got a Yorkie and a Pug and we paid a lot of money for the pug and to be honest, I wasn't keen on the idea of buying for a breeder but the missus and the step-daughter won in the end. I have vowed never to buy from a dealer again, not because of any problems with the dog we bought, it's just I'd feel better giving a dog another chance rather than lining the pockets of a breeder.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby East Sussex Hammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Nobleman and Sliema.

We lost our love Cavalier 2 years ago now and it still hurts sometimes but it took us 18 months before we got another dog.

We have rescued a pup from Roumania when he was 4 months old and he is now 10 months old and a large bubble of playfulness and joy.

He was separated from his sisters at 4 months and has been fine since. All his litter are now over here and we met one of them at the weekend and it was amazing how they remembered one another. We are soon to have a doggy catch up with another two of his sisters so we hope to stay in touch with their owners so this happens.

Nobleman in answer to your question I do not think it will be a problem splitting them particularly if they do not get on but there will be recognition should they meet again. I wish you the best of luck with your new found friend

I
East Sussex Hammer

Postby Estuary on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:25 pm

We are going through the last days with our beloved dog as I write.
A beautiful Golden Retriever,10yrs and 7mnths he has been ill for a while with ear problems and during the search for a diagnosis as to why the condition remained persistent a brain tumor was discovered which given it's location and the big guys age is inoperable. He has been having palliative care since the summer and being strong and determined he has lasted way longer than we anticipated. He now only has good periods where the tumor doesn't effect his ability to stand and walk in short bursts, he shows no sign of pain at all, but he never has even when he had a seriously large cancer removed from his leg or when he knocked his own teeth out arsing about in the garden, we think he ran into one of the concrete benches but as he was just out chasing our daughters dog about on their own we don't really know what happened, just that his lower front left side teeth were ****ed, and he was leaking claret like a good 'un.
His life has become very small now, and he has reached the the point where we have to send him on the long walk.
To that end Mrs Estuary has booked the vet to come to our house on Monday as our boy doesn't like the vets, the cancer treatment as a very young dog left a lasting impression, and to her credit she didn't want his last moments to be unhappy ones.
Now here is the thing, I have to leave the country on Sunday for work so will not be there when our boy passes, I will be at work when the moment comes, our family will be with him but I am pretty cut up about this to be honest, and dreading saying our goodbyes, it's natural I know, we outlive our dogs, but jesus it's hard to bare even when I try and content myself that we are acting in his best interests I cannot shake the overwhelming sadness at what we are about to do, and think of all the joy he has brought to our lives, and we his, I still am left with the feeling that life can be very cruel sometimes.
Estuary

Postby S-H on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 pm

:cry:
S-H

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug