Scotland

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Scotland

Postby Puff Daddy on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:11 pm

I think we have a few contributors on the forum who live there, so I am curious to know what living there must be like. I have only visited Scotland once in my entire life and that over half a century ago. Ever since, I have always promised myself another visit, but have never got round to it. Despite this, I can still quite vividly remember the West coast, Oban, Ullapool, Inverary, Ben Nevis, Loch Lomand, Inverness and on the eastern side of the country, Perth, Balmoral and Edinburgh, which was very impressive. I think it is probably the inclement weather which has put me off, which leads me quite nicely to my final point. One of my customers has recently moved from the South of Engkand to the Isles of Orkney. I cannot imagine a more remote, cold, wet and windswept part of the country in which to live and have to admit, rather him than me, unless of course, anybody can tell me otherwise. Although one advantage, possibly the only one, would be to see the Northern lights, which are just amazing
Last edited by Puff Daddy on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Re: Scotland

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:55 pm

Ayrshire is lovely in the summer. Otherwise it is bleak and depressing.
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Still, as a half scotchman, I may elect to retire there due to the abundance of quiet places. France sounds better, but Brexit may well **** that dream up.
DasNutNock

Postby jastons on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:02 pm

I live near Glasgow. It's raining today with highs of 11 degrees.
jastons

Postby Puff Daddy on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:15 pm

jastons wrote:I live near Glasgow. It's raining today with highs of 11 degrees.

I once worked with a lady, orinally from Aberdeen, who told me that in September, when we are still in shirtsleaves, they are in overcoats there.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Burnley Hammer on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:30 pm

Mountain heaven. I wish I lived there. The Torridons are on my todo list for next year, as is the Sannox Horshoe on Arran.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:42 pm

My wife and I moved to Skye with our 2 year old daughter in October 1988 , soon it'll be 30 years we've been here . Previously we had lived in Potters Bar for around 6-7 years , I'd been in Hatfield and Essendon before that having come down from Anglesey to study for an English BA Hons degree .

So , why Scotland and why the Isle of Skye ?

Well , we'd been here on holidays a few times before making a permanent move , the pace of life was slower and there were fewer people living up here - it seemed like a good place to bring up children .

You are right of course , it does rain more up here than it does down south , but it's only rain and you saw for yourselves what happens when it doesn't rain for weeks on end .

The temperature hit 27 / 28 degrees some days but we could sleep at night and it pretty much settled at the 24 mark , hot enough for me - probably went around 6 weeks without rain at one point and I see the Cluanie Dam is low on water when we went past the other day , it'll soon fill up again .

We have a 4 acre croft , plenty of space to build an extension to our old house to run as a holiday let , the views are second to none , in Potters Bar our view was other houses , here I wake up each morning looking at Beinn Sgritheill , Loch Hourn , the Sound of Sleat and the Knoydart Peninsula , I'm happy with my lot .

It's not for everyone , nearest shops [ apart from the Coop ] are over 100 miles away in Inverness , to begin with I thought it a bit daunting travelling 200 miles if we needed anything other than the Coop could provide but I enjoy travelling to Inverness now , it's a beautiful city , our daughter's there so we no longer have to book into a Travelodge if we decide to stay the night .

It's a good community where we live , we help each other out when needed , back in 2012/2013 when I contracted sepsis and was flown to Paisley Jennie had to take unpaid leave and stay in various hotels , self catering during the first 6 weeks of my illness , our neighbours raised the money needed for her accomodation , the local garage fixed her car for nothing and lent her a car when ours was off the road , not sure that would happen elsewhere . It's a good place to live .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Samba on Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Only been on holiday there 2 or 3 times so don't know what it's like to live there.
I found the weather a big difference. In September, I've never felt so cold.
I theorise that's why Scots football has never hit the dizzy heights. It's too f***ing cold to nurture Brazilian or Spanish style football when your nuts are frozen.
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby ageing hammer on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:11 pm

Billy Connolly said " There are two seasons in Scotland, June and winter "
ageing hammer

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:25 pm

Rain and midges.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:22 am

Yeah, very funny, fellers.

As if Scotland's a real place.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Puff Daddy on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:01 am

Are there polar bears in the Isle of Skye ?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:19 am

Not a place I'd like to live. But I do like visiting.

Had a mixed reaction from locals (Glasgow, Dumbarton, Balloch).

The best time of the year, and this may of been luck was the end of April early May.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby szola on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:30 am

:D

You'll need to take trip to Longyearbyen, Svalbard to experience those giant Pandas.
It's supposed to be a stunning trip
https://en.visitsvalbard.com/

Scotland seems to be nice an quiet place to live, outside the biggest cities.
Being mostly above zero centigrade, you can ride on two wheels pretty much all year round.
Pleasant temperatures, no minus twentysomethings.
szola

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:34 am

Puff Daddy wrote:

Are there polar bears in the Isle of Skye ?

You'll find Polar Bears a few miles from Aviemore but no , none on the Isle Of Skye .

http://www.highlandwildlifepark.org.uk/ ... olar-bear/
The Old Man of Storr

Postby delbert on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:13 pm

I've been up there and stood in the dry watching it absolutely lash down on the other side of the road, it was a wall of water gradually moving towards us. On another rainy day (among many) I also saw the wind force water to go up hill, very bizarre.
No visit to Scotland is complete without an early morning drive past the peace camp as Faslane revving and tooting as you go.
I'd seriously recommend a visit to the Falkirk Wheel, engineering at it's finest.......
delbert

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:56 pm

I have recently relocated to Angus on the East Coast, halfway between Arbroath and Montrose. Mrs CRS' sister married a sweaty and lives nearby and we had been regular visitors over the last 12 years and loved the area. My 28 year old stepson lives in Brechin and has just made us grandparents so it was a good time to up sticks. We also have friends on the West Coast in Acharacle which is not a million miles from TOMoS and we love driving from East to West Coast visiting them with some stunning scenery, especially Glencoe.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby brownout on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:06 pm

A wonderful country. Some of the best scenery in Europe.

I go up there about five times a year for work, walking & writing. Last two often combined with the first. Always on the overnight sleeper which is a superb way to travel. I've been to many places in Scotland after a meeting in Glasgow and got the sleeper back that night or next evening.

Earlier this month I took the train from Glasgow to Pitlochry, climbed Ben Vrackie, then got the sleeper home at just before 11pm. Back in work 9.30 next day. Beats flying!

This year & last year we stayed in Oban on holiday. This year we added a night on Iona and two on Mull. Want to go back!
brownout

Postby Whitters on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:32 pm

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:I have recently relocated to Angus on the East Coast, halfway between Arbroath and Montrose. Mrs CRS' sister married a sweaty and lives nearby and we had been regular visitors over the last 12 years and loved the area. My 28 year old stepson lives in Brechin and has just made us grandparents so it was a good time to up sticks. We also have friends on the West Coast in Acharacle which is not a million miles from TOMoS and we love driving from East to West Coast visiting them with some stunning scenery, especially Glencoe.

^^ nice. My Dad is from Montrose and we used to spend every summer up there, so I have many happy memories of a beautiful part of the world.

For a holiday though the West Coast is even more picturesque, a driving holiday I had from Glasgow, up past Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Torridon, Ullapool, and all along the North Coast before before heading down to Loch Ness, Glenshee, Pitlochry and down to Edinburgh remains one of my all-time favourite road trips.
Whitters

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:19 am

delbert wrote:I've been up there and stood in the dry watching it absolutely lash down on the other side of the road .....

That's a waterfall , Delbs .
The Old Man of Storr

Next

Return to The Snug