Scotland

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Scotland

Postby Puff Daddy on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Does a very friendly greeting still await you in any rough Glasweigen pub ?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby The Collector on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Having drunk in many cities and towns in the UK (not just following WHUFC) I can honestly say that the friendliest drunks I have come across have been in Glasgow.

The view that every pub has a Begbie waiting to set about you is, in my experience, not accurate. He was from Leith anyway and not a weegie.
The Collector

Postby Happyhammer52 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:11 am

Puff Daddy wrote:Does a very friendly greeting still await you in any rough Glasweigen pub ?

Much prefer Glasgow to Edinburgh, people are a lot more genuine and friendly. Some fantastic pubs in the city centre as well. The only time you run into any trouble in the city is if you follow one of the Bigot Brothers.

Kevin Bridges does a skit about folk from Inverness being called Invernessians, those from Dundee are Dundonians, Glasgow you have Glaswegians and of course a "**** fae Edinburgh".

However for the fella going up to Edinburgh, make sure you go to 'The Dogs' for your dinner one evening. The fella who runs it will give you the impression that he despises you (read the reviews of the place), but the food is incredible, without doubt one of the best haggis I have ever had.
Happyhammer52

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:07 am

Haggis is not in season just now , they'll be still out on the hills mating .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby vietnammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:03 am

Haggi are... TOMOS
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:20 pm

and the plural is "Haggi..."

:P
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby vietnammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Indeed. But that doesn't discern whether it's a cock haggis or a hen haggis.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Knighter10WHU on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Went up to Edinburgh just before last Christmas with the missus, fantastic City, one of the best in Europe in my opinion.

Only other brief visit to Scotland was to Ben Nevis during the Three Peak challenge. Bloody freezing.
Knighter10WHU

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:21 pm

vietnammer wrote:Indeed. But that doesn't discern whether it's a cock haggis or a hen haggis.

do you get more to the pound with a cock haggis ??

:idea:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:22 pm

I recall staying in a guest house in Hawick, which I think is in the lowlands of Scotland, not too far north of Carlisle, but I might be wrong about that. Anyway, it was a very long time ago and indeed, in my one and only visit North of the border. It was high summer, I remember that much, as England were in the middle of an Ashes test series with Australia at the time and I recall walking into the town centre the morning after we arrived the night before. It was a sunny morning, but ****ing freezing cold and I kid ye not, there was a heavy frost on the ground. It certainly was a braw bricht moonlicght nicht that morning. Is this normal in Scotland ?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby yonni on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Hawick (pronounced “hoick”) is in the borders. I get down there once a year for camping but I’m more likely to go to another but of the Tweed valley, Peebles, for the mountain biking at Glentress. I moved to Edinburgh 20 years ago this September. Love it. I don’t get much grief for being English, but then I have a Spanish name and work for the NHS, so maybe I get a pass for those reasons. I was never a big city person so Edinburgh is the perfect size for me. Really close to the amazing countryside and sandy beaches but with everything you want from a city. The only thing Glasgow does better for me is live music. But then it’s only 50 minutes on the train. I went to a gig in Glasgow city centre Monday night and was in my bed in Leith by 11:45. Leith isn’t like in Irvine Welsh’s day anymore. And Hibbees love a Hammer for some reason. The weather can be crap but I’m from Guildford where you dont see the sky for grey clouds from October to April. We might get minus temperatures and snow here but at least we get those crisp sunny winter days. And this summer it was hotter in Edinburgh than London at The beginning of the heatwave for a couple of weeks. I was over West near TOMOS at the beginning of September and he wins the prize for scenery and beaches as anyone whose been that way will know. Crystal clear waters, white sandy beaches, stunning views and, for the cyclists and bikers among you, the longest road climb in Britain in the Bealach Na Ba. that’s the cattle road to Applecross to you and me. Add to this free university education for my kids and good employment - Edinburgh has a thriving financial sector, digital sector (Rockstar games etc) and all the government jobs and parliament. I’m staying here thanks. If it was sunny all the time I wouldn’t be able to afford to though as everyone would want to live here then.
yonni

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:58 pm

^^^

Great post Yonni. :thup:
westham,eggyandchips

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:13 am

Puff Daddy wrote:Does a very friendly greeting still await you in any rough Glasweigen pub ?

Longest I stayed in Glasgow was 2 weeks when I went down to do a Lifeboatman's Course at the Glasgow College of Nautical Studies - my mate Hamish and I went out to the local pubs every night each and every one hd a friendly welcome .

I did see a girl getting a bottle smashed over her head one night in the Maryhill area but that was on a separate occasion and it was a Friday night - the bloke who did it just sat down as if nothing had happened but was eventually removed .

Had to go down to Gourock quite often in my capacity as Union Rep either for wage negotiations or someone in trouble through alcohol - we'd always go over to Glasgow City Centre for a drink , never any problems - I think what you're referring to were incidents from way back in the 50s and 60s , Puff , I've always found Glaswegians to be the most friendly of Scots .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby yonni on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:32 am

When I first moved up I was really conscious of my accent. I did meet a couple of people with an anti English chip on their shoulder but I think they are less and less. I don’t even think about it anymore. As long as you don’t act like an arrogant twat you’ll be alright. And don’t forget it’s Britain, not England, when you’re referring to the whole country. Nothing winds a Scot up more than that. Scots who’ve never left Scotland can think that the English are like the tv stereo types the same as English folk who’ve never been up here might expect Scots to all be drunk and fighting. Like any city at night watch yourself and make sure you know where not to go. In Glasgow that can be more for your religion or football team than your nationality.

All the Scots on this forum are probably laughing their heads of at this. Be good to hear your side of it? What do you make of the Ex pat English in Scotland?
yonni

Postby Happyhammer52 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:32 am

yonni wrote:Be good to hear your side of it? What do you make of the Ex pat English in Scotland?

As an ex pat Scot living in England, I wouldn't give it a second thought, from your other post it's clear to see why you have moved. How long have you lived there for?

I don't think I have ever heard anyone refer to Britain as England other than perhaps a Yank.

As you said, religion is the thing to be careful about, especially in Glasgow. The worst thing is, those folk who have a good scrap about it aren't really religious. I think I have said about it before, but I can recall being on a train with a group of Rangers fans (all young teens) who were calling Sinn Féin a prick, believing Sinn Féin was a person.

Without getting into politics too much, would an Independent Scotland change your mind regarding staying?
Happyhammer52

Postby Puff Daddy on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:39 am

I do feel a bit sorry for the Scots. They have had a bit of a rum deal at the hands of the English ever since poor Bonny Prince Charlie boarded his rowing boat dressed as a woman over to the Isle of Skye after the Battle of Colloden to make way for a German monarch to claim the throne.Poor sod probably was the rightful heir to the crown and to be honest, yet he had to make way. The best they can do now is to all get behind Nicola Sturgeon. The other thing that would wrankle with me, if I were Scottish, would be when Margaret Thatcher were Prime minister, the conservatives held just one parliamentary seat in the whole of Scotland and that was Malcomn Rifkind, yet they had a whole term of Thatcherism inflicted upon them, when it should have clear to her, the Scots unanimously rejected her
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:43 am

Happyhammer52 wrote:

Without getting into politics too much, would an Independent Scotland change your mind regarding staying?

I'm sure it would affect a few people's mindsets but I'd be happy with it .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby sendô on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:54 am

yonni wrote:Add to this free university education for my kids and good employment

Yeah, what's with that?

Should be free all over. Prescriptions are the same, non?
sendô

Postby yonni on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:02 am

Happyhammer52 wrote:

I’ll try to keep this apolitical:

As you know culturally there is a big difference between the English and Scottish social outlook, with Scotland being more left wing and open to greater welfare support etc. Hence no Tory governments since the government formed in 1999. The leaning is more towards a Scandinavian way of thinking about education, welfare and yes taxes too. I’m ok with that. Since Brexit though, depending how it plays out with the Irish border etc. I would think a second referendum is a nailed on Yes victory but I don’t think it should be held until the full implications of Brexit are clear. That may mean another ten years. If Scotland became independent I’d happily stay. But then I’m safe in the knowledge that I can scurry back south if it all goes wrong as my Mum is English.
yonni

Postby yonni on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:48 am

sendô wrote:Yeah, what's with that?

Should be free all over. Prescriptions are the same, non?

Some powers are devolved to Scotland others are reserved by Westminster. Education is devolved so we have our own system and can say this. Independence is about a lot more than being able to call yourself a country, it’s about having autonomy over the things that matter to your people. This was a big one as were prescriptions. See what I mean about the leaning to a more social system?
yonni

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug