Scotland

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Scotland

Postby delbert on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:24 am

:lol:
delbert

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:23 am

Whitters wrote:
^^ nice. My Dad is from Montrose and we used to spend every summer up there, so I have many happy memories of a beautiful part of the world.

For a holiday though the West Coast is even more picturesque, a driving holiday I had from Glasgow, up past Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Torridon, Ullapool, and all along the North Coast before before heading down to Loch Ness, Glenshee, Pitlochry and down to Edinburgh remains one of my all-time favourite road trips.

The West probably has the advantage when it comes to beautiful vistas and over the years
I've visited all of the above and agree they are lovely. The best scenery on our side is the Cairngorms and a drive up to Cairn o'Mount is well recommended for a stunning viewpoint at the top with the Cairngorms on one side and the coastline still visible to the East, carry on through to Braemar via Ballater and then head down to Spittal of Glenshee for a spectacular drive. We did this once in January and by the time we got to Braemar, the in-car temperture was minus 14,
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:01 pm

szola wrote::D

You'll need to take trip to Longyearbyen, Svalbard to experience those giant Pandas.
It's supposed to be a stunning trip
https://en.visitsvalbard.com/.

That place looks amazing. Super expensive I'd imagine though. Maybe when I win the lottery, this'll be first on the list.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Whitters on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:10 pm

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:
The West probably has the advantage when it comes to beautiful vistas and over the years
I've visited all of the above and agree they are lovely. The best scenery on our side is the Cairngorms and a drive up to Cairn o'Mount is well recommended for a stunning viewpoint at the top with the Cairngorms on one side and the coastline still visible to the East, carry on through to Braemar via Ballater and then head down to Spittal of Glenshee for a spectacular drive. We did this once in January and by the time we got to Braemar, the in-car temperture was minus 14,

Yes all very beautiful and I’ve done that many a time with my parents, I love it. Other favourites in the area are Glen Esk and Glen Clova/Glen Doll.
Whitters

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 pm

i got racially abused in Dollar at my aunts wedding
thought edinburgh was brilliant though when i went up for the fringe last year
psychoscoredthelot

Postby The Collector on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:33 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:So , why Scotland and why the Isle of Skye ?

Beats me, mate. Terrible place. Really shouldn’t encourage people to settle down there.
The Collector

Postby Samba on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:40 am

I'd love to go Munro bagging one day though probably need to win the lottery first.
The record is all 282 in just 39 days! That's some going..
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby Francoisvander or else on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:40 pm

brownout wrote:A wonderful country. Some of the best scenery in Europe.

I go up there about five times a year for work, walking & writing. Last two often combined with the first. Always on the overnight sleeper which is a superb way to travel. I've been to many places in Scotland after a meeting in Glasgow and got the sleeper back that night or next evening.

Earlier this month I took the train from Glasgow to Pitlochry, climbed Ben Vrackie, then got the sleeper home at just before 11pm. Back in work 9.30 next day. Beats flying!

This year & last year we stayed in Oban on holiday. This year we added a night on Iona and two on Mull. Want to go back!

:thup: for the Isle of Mull, spent time at Calgary Bay, probably one of the nicest beaches you are likely to encounter and it's where the Canadian city of Calgary gets its name from.
Francoisvander or else

Postby brownout on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:18 pm

We went to Calgary Bay. Beautiful.
brownout

Postby Puff Daddy on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:49 pm

The Collector wrote:
Beats me, mate. Terrible place. Really shouldn’t encourage people to settle down there.

Nor me mate. I must admit it wouldn't appeal the me in the slightest, but respect TOMAS's decision to up sticks and move there, although I am struggling to see the attraction in a 200 mile round trip just to do my weekend shop.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Rocketron on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:36 pm

Whooosh !
Rocketron

Postby devonshire flu on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:32 pm

I've been living in Fife since 1991. Moved from London E12.

I like it here. The locals hate the English, and the Irish, and the Welsh, and other Scots folk. So you get dog's abuse in the pubs and at work, but it's all well meant. As long as you don't take it to heart, you'll be fine.

The countryside is great (especially glen esk and glen clova as someone else mentioned).

The beer used to be pony but now is fantastic (Brewdog, Loch Fyne Ales, etc). The football is dogshit terrible - Southend United would beat most Scottish teams at a canter.

I'm not planning to move back to England any time soon.
devonshire flu

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Nor me mate. I must admit it wouldn't appeal the me in the slightest, but respect TOMAS's decision to up sticks and move there, although I am struggling to see the attraction in a 200 mile round trip just to do my weekend shop.

My Dear Puff ,
The Collector or as we like to call him here on Skye , ' That Incoming b*stard ' has bought a house here on Skye with the intention of moving up here when he's even richer than he is now . He was trying to be funny .
I tolerate him as he buys me food and drink whenever he's here and the lovely Mrs Collector is great company . He also part of the 1966 Club so that's another reason to be nice to him . :)

September's here , the colours are even more vivid at this time of year , just had oil fired central heating installed and a delivery of one thousand litres arrived yesterday , should last me till Christmas . :)

p.s. Puff , it's true that Inverness is a journey of over 200 miles round trip but Tesco and Asda now deliver to Skye , you just fill out your shopping list and a nice man delivers your groceries to a car park 10 miles away , we also have the good old Coop if you're rich like The Collector but we poor crofters have to go and pick whelks off the shore for our tea - if the tide's in we starve .

Survival Of The Fittest up here , mate .

Anyway , I can't stop , my pack of wolves and I are going hunting deer this afternoon , Awoooooooo !!
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:51 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Anyway , I can't stop , my pack of wolves and I are going hunting deer this afternoon , Awoooooooo !!

That's the other thing I was going to ask. Having ascertained there are no polar bears on Skye, are there packs of marauding Canadian Timber wolves to scare the natives at night, with that screeching howl of theirs ?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Odessa on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:02 pm

delbert wrote:
I'd seriously recommend a visit to the Falkirk Wheel, engineering at it's finest.......

I heard about this through Private Eye of all places. It looks amazing.
Odessa

Postby Tristan Shout on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby Longneck'd Iron on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:04 pm

Wouldn't move to Skye, but been going up there since 1978, it's a fantastic place. Carbost has my favourite pub on the Island, the Old Inn. Wish I was there now!
Longneck'd Iron

Postby mushy on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:18 pm

I want to be a member of The 1966 club.
mushy

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 pm

mushy wrote:I want to be a member of The 1966 club.

Cross my palm with silver .

Puff , yes there are plenty of wolves up here , mate , loads .

Aawoooooooooooo.......
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Samba on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:26 am

mushy wrote:I want to be a member of The 1966 club.

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Cross my palm with silver .
Puff , yes there are plenty of wolves up here , mate , loads .
Aawoooooooooooo.......

We had trouble with Wolves in London, only last week..
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug