Scotland

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Scotland

Postby EastBrisHammer on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:37 am

"Wolves did it."
EastBrisHammer

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:56 am

Samba wrote:We had trouble with Wolves in London, only last week..

It'll be Foxes soon you just see and watch out for old people especially Pensioners and those bloody Seagulls will steal anything off you , including points . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby ironsonthebrain on Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:11 pm

Odessa wrote: I'd seriously recommend a visit to the Falkirk Wheel, engineering at it's finest.......

It is incredible to see in operation.
Also a couple of miles walk or cycle down the canal are two fantastic, huge horses head scullptures called The Kelpies - stunning!

http://www.thehelix.co.uk/things-to-do/the-kelpies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ironsonthebrain

Postby vietnammer on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Scotland. Great as a tourist. Thing is that to consider a move there you'd have to have considerable independent means or a bignuts job or be a highly skilled tradesman to support yourself anywhere that wasn't a real bottom-end Jaywick Sands-type loserville. In a former life I lived in West Cornwall and it was similar there, only able to do temporary farm work or other very low-paid jobs (though my ex did own a nice house). Though the place looked idyllic you had to just scrape by and it gets to you. Edinburgh is a beautiful city, but far as I can tell must be as expensive as London. There are loads of attractive places that are in fact very hard to live in.

Anecdote alert. Went on a cycling tour of the Highlands when I was young and fit, but en-route to the Highlands I took a night train from Glasgow to Inverness. Old fashioned carriages with luggage nets above the seating, only a lot of very drunk guys were sleeping in them. Those old Tennants tins with pictures of burds on them rolling up and down and a hard-case looking geezer opposite me who just stared at me through tatooed knuckles the whole journey. I think he was so out of it he couldn't speak. Things improved from Wick onwards and the Highlands are truly spectacular. Also noticed what a lovely, clear way of speaking English they have in the Highlands.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Happyhammer52 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:57 pm

vietnammer wrote:Also noticed what a lovely, clear way of speaking English they have in the Highlands.

In my younger days, worked for Capgemini, and they had contracts with the Met, Rolls Royce, MOD and a lot of that was due to the dialect on phone calls. Could never understand it, as I hate the Invernessian accent.

Luckily with a Mother from the East End and a Father who grew up in Dorset, I never picked it up.
Happyhammer52

Postby vietnammer on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Think it has something to do with the 'light L' sound you get in Scotland and Ireland. Finished, rather than 'swallowed' final vowels (the latter we have in Cockney, like 'w' for 'L' ) just sound more articulate. As for Scottish city dialects cannastanwhitchersayinlike !
Last edited by vietnammer on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby vietnammer on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:20 pm

bolix
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Samba on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Samba wrote:We had trouble with Wolves in London, only last week..

The Old Man of Storr wrote:It'll be Foxes soon you just see and watch out for old people especially Pensioners and those bloody Seagulls will steal anything off you , including points . :)

It's the hornets that are worrying me..
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:24 am

Got a very crap football team, I know that
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby vietnammer on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:06 am

Hard to say what happened to Scottish football. Last 'worldy' they had was Colin Hendry (and Christian, of course)
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby The Collector on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:49 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
My Dear Puff ,
The Collector or as we like to call him here on Skye , ' That Incoming b*stard ' has bought a house here on Skye with the intention of moving up here when he's even richer than he is now . He was trying to be funny .
I tolerate him as he buys me food and drink whenever he's here and the lovely Mrs Collector is great company . He also part of the 1966 Club so that's another reason to be nice to him . :)

September's here , the colours are even more vivid at this time of year , just had oil fired central heating installed and a delivery of one thousand litres arrived yesterday , should last me till Christmas . :)

p.s. Puff , it's true that Inverness is a journey of over 200 miles round trip but Tesco and Asda now deliver to Skye , you just fill out your shopping list and a nice man delivers your groceries to a car park 10 miles away , we also have the good old Coop if you're rich like The Collector but we poor crofters have to go and pick whelks off the shore for our tea - if the tide's in we starve .

Survival Of The Fittest up here , mate .

Anyway , I can't stop , my pack of wolves and I are going hunting deer this afternoon , Awoooooooo !!

What are you doing posting on here? Shouldn’t you be mowing my lawn?
The Collector

Postby Happyhammer52 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:48 am

vietnammer wrote:Hard to say what happened to Scottish football. Last 'worldy' they had was Colin Hendry (and Christian, of course)

The SFA
Alcohol
Happyhammer52

Postby Samba on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:54 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote: p.s. Puff , it's true that Inverness is a journey of over 200 miles round trip but Tesco and Asda now deliver to Skye , you just fill out your shopping list and a nice man delivers your groceries to a car park 10 miles away , we also have the good old Coop if you're rich like The Collector but we poor crofters have to go and pick whelks off the shore for our tea - if the tide's in we starve .

The Collector wrote:What are you doing posting on here? Shouldn’t you be mowing my lawn?

Can't mow, whelking..
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:28 am

The Collector wrote:
What are you doing posting on here? Shouldn’t you be mowing my lawn?

I cut it last week but it grew again .

You want it done again ?
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:47 am

vietnammer wrote: - a hard-case looking geezer opposite me who just stared at me through tatooed knuckles the whole journey. I think he was so out of it he couldn't speak. Things improved from Wick onwards and the Highlands are truly spectacular. Also noticed what a lovely, clear way of speaking English they have in the Highlands.

Sorry about that , you should have introduced yourself , I'm quite shy when it comes to meeting strangers and how kind of you to notice how well we speak up here , we try our best to accommodate our visitors .
It was quite difficult at first finding work that suited my standard of living but then I established myself as a translator of Scouse , Brummie , Yorkie , Geordie and Cockney , now I'm loaded .

There are two ' Ts ' in ' Tattooed ' by the way . :wink:
The Old Man of Storr

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:54 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:There are two ' Ts ' in ' Tattooed ' by the way

DasNutNock

Postby somerset-hammer on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:56 am

somerset-hammer

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 am

Well , 3 if you count ALL of them but you knew wot I meant . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Booked up a 3 day trip to Edinburgh in May 2019. Mainly after reading this thread.

Thanks all. :thup:
westham,eggyandchips

Postby delbert on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:35 pm

You ain't been yet, I'd delay the thanks if I was you.......... :)
delbert

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug