Winter draws on

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Winter draws on

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 am

DasNutNock wrote:You mean their battered, knock-off UGG "style" boots?

... or "Slag Wellies" as they're known round these parts.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Sloes picked and in the freezer.

DaveWHU1964 wrote:That's cheating Johnny. :)

They go in the freezer overnight to rupture the cells, saves pricking them individually. They've been in the gin for over a month now and are looking good, it's the colour of Ribena already. I picked them when they had a bit of give when squeezed in early September. Good job I did, there's hardly any left now.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Burnley Hammer on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Winter getting close and yet again I've failed to save up for mountaineering boots, crampons, and an ice axe. Disappointing.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby jastons on Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:19 am

It's minus 1 outside this morning. The heating is on.
jastons

Postby vietnammer on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:34 pm

In order to save heating, I yesterday wore black and white dog-tooth check winter socks, tartan pyjama bottoms over long-johns and a blue and yellow rugby-type shirt. It was only when I caught myself in the wife's full length mirror I realised I only needed a red nose to complete the circus clown outfit.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby FreeWheeling on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:50 pm

I forgot yesterday that I have duel zone heating, so when going upstairs to sleep , found the bedroom at only 12C
FreeWheeling

Postby sendô on Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Reckon I will be wearing the big coat to work tomorrow.
sendô

Postby brownout on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:06 am

Winter arrived at about 4.30 on Thursday afternoon.
We were in Torquay for the week. Got on a steam train about 4.00 and it was reasonably warm. Got off half hour later and it was freezing. Hasn't warmed up since.
Yesterday it got dark at 5.00 so for the next few months we'll leave work in the dark.
Hibernating animals seem to have it sussed - eat and breed as much as you can for six months then sleep once it gets cold.
brownout

Postby sendô on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:13 am

Wore the big coat. Was still cold, may have to dig out scarf and gloves.
sendô

Postby Burnley Hammer on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:16 am

I took my 4 year old on a nice winter walk in the Dark Peak yesterday to give him his first experience of a hail storm whilst walking into the wind. Admittedly it was more to do with the Met Office getting the forecast horribly wrong than anything I'd intentionally planned. He did find it all very exciting though. I just need to upgrade his kit a bit for the next adventure. Personally I'm looking forward to another freeze - I love going walking on snowy hills.

In terms of the temperature... its a bit chilly but nothing that requires an upgrade in clothing. I'm still wearing my t-shirt and lightweight jacket today. My other half will no doubt go way over the top with the heating and I'll be spending all winter living in a sauna again, waking up every morning dripping with sweat thanks to having to sleep under the world thickest duvet and all the radiators coming on early in the morning.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Clucking Bell on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:19 am

I cleaned my racing bike after the last outside ride of the year and hung it up. Probably won't get outside more than a handful of times between now and the end of March when I'm going down to Tucson for a few days and will have to suffer the velodrome (quite boring) and the trainer (extremely boring).

Hopefully all the leaves will have fallen in the next couple of weeks and I'll have had a chance to clean them up before it gets really taters.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby Moxy on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:28 am

sendô wrote:Wore the big coat. Was still cold, may have to dig out scarf and gloves.

I too have dug out and dusted off “big green” as I call him, one of my best buys of the last few years was me big parka.
Moxy

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:54 am

I’ve switched from cycling to & from work to cycling one was and running the other. Bit brutal on my 43 year old legs, especially since my weights climbed to 13 stone after a “relaxing” summer, but needs to be done. Autumn/winter training is always the best (IMO) and most productive - not like you’re missing out on much.
DasNutNock

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:04 am

DasNutNock wrote:I’ve switched from cycling to & from work to cycling one was and running the other. .

How's that work? unless you have someone drop the bike off for you back at the starting point? :eh:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:14 am

I cycled to work yesterday, locked my bike here, then ran home. I ran in this morning, and will cycle home tonight. The run in today was pretty brutal, I don't recover nearly as quickly as I used to, and really could do with more than 12 hours between 7 mile runs, but I'll (hopefully) get some momentum back soon.
DasNutNock

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:44 am

DasNutNock wrote:.

Ok thanks. Understood. :thup:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:56 am

Luckily, we have very good facilities on site - gym with showers, clean towels etc, a drying room for smeggy clothes, lockers etc, and secure bike sheds. I've always felt it should be mandatory for an office with more than X people to have facilities of that ilk, to make commuting by bike a realistic choice for more people (along with better cycle lanes etc).
DasNutNock

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:04 pm

DasNutNock wrote: (along with better cycle lanes etc).

And a statutory death penalty for cyclists who cut up other vehicles and pedestrians
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote:And a statutory death penalty for cyclists who cut up other vehicles and pedestrians

Sort of agreed - drivers do that to cyclists, too, with far greater risk of endangering others. As for pedestrians, it would be helpful if, once in a while, they responded to audible warnings that cyclists are approaching on dual-use pathways.
DasNutNock

Postby vietnammer on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:18 pm

Burnley Hammer wrote:I took my 4 year old on a nice winter walk in the Dark Peak

Settled in Sheffield going on 5 years now, but still haven't experienced that part, sticking to Castleton/Hathersage and mostly by lazy-arse car. Peak district really is fabulous though isn't it.

Burnley Hammer wrote: experience of a hail storm whilst walking into the wind

By the by, only time I've had a severe hailstorm 'upside your head' was near Riyadh, coming up out of a Wadi (valley). Was stripped down to shorts & no shirt and the stones hurt like hell. Also the accompanying lightning strikes on exposed ground were worrying to say the least. It's funny how hail is very often a 'hot weather' phenomenon.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug