A thread to discuss physical health issues

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: A thread to discuss physical health issues

Postby the pink palermo on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:28 pm

@ Davids Cross

I'm prescribed those tablets but I don't take them, so if you ever run out I've a cupboard full of them.

I've also got hypertension, and they sell me two different drugs for that along with asprin to thin the blood.

Echo your recommendation for people to get their blood pressure checked, a lot of surgerys have a machine in reception where you can just go in and stick your arm in and it prints out a reading, or there are relatively low cost machines you can buy at boots.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby davids cross on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Yeah Pinkers....

I've had a wrist monitor for a while but bought another (top arm) monitor last week.

Am keeping an eye on it regularly.

Am now starting long moments on the exercise bike, without causing danger to myself.

But exercise can take 3 months to bring the pressure down so it needs sticking with.
davids cross

Postby davids cross on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:51 pm

I'm probably one stone overweight.
davids cross

Postby jacko on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:07 pm

the pink palermo wrote:@ Davids Cross

I'm prescribed those tablets but I don't take them, so if you ever run out I've a cupboard full of them.

I've also got hypertension, and they sell me two different drugs for that along with asprin to thin the blood.

Echo your recommendation for people to get their blood pressure checked, a lot of surgerys have a machine in reception where you can just go in and stick your arm in and it prints out a reading, or there are relatively low cost machines you can buy at boots.

What tablets don't you take? The statins?
jacko

Postby jacko on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:08 pm

davids cross wrote:I'm probably one stone overweight.

That's not much is it? Do you have a decent diet?
jacko

Postby Samba on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:50 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:My little toe is hurting/throbbing like a b*stard, stubbing your lil'un is close to getting kicked in the bollax pain. 48 hours now, when will it stop...

Saturday evening, while pushing a trolley round a supermarket, I managed to kick the left rear wheel with my left foot.
Painful? I felt like 'Kunta Kinte' did, in 'Roots', when he had the front half of his foot chopped off.
I had to limp for the rest of the shop..what a clumsy c**t, I am, most of the time..
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby Samba on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:00 pm

prince_huggy wrote:Apparently having high cholesterol and high blood pressure, without treatment, is liking a ticking time bomb.

Very much so. The chances of going on to suffer a stroke or a heart attack are very high, without treatment.
Trouble being, you can have very high cholesterol & bp & not know it.
Samba

Postby davids cross on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:42 pm

jacko wrote:That's not much is it? Do you have a decent diet?

No it's not much to lose if I put my mind to it.......have been up to 3 stone heavier a way back.

Yes my diet is pretty good. Don't fry anything. Eat lots of fruit and salad (all year round)

My attraction to biscuits, crisps, some chocolates.....are the stuff I have to watch. But they rarely get the better of me.

Don't smoke, never have. Only a social drinker.....to be polite, nothing more really.

I'm 55 so have been thing about all this stuff more over the last few years.
davids cross

Postby davids cross on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Samba wrote:[
Trouble being, you can have very high cholesterol & bp & not know it.

Yeah,

that's the scary part.

I think I have suffered quite a lot of headaches with my blood pressure. It's a clue to me when I get a headache that it may be quite high.
davids cross

Postby Samba on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:20 pm

davids cross wrote:My attraction to biscuits, crisps, some chocolates.....are the stuff I have to watch. But they rarely get the better of me.

V. bad for us, imo.
And surprisingly quite easy to get out of the habit of eating, again, in my experience.
So long as they don't come into the house, in the first place.....then, it's virtually impossible....imo :wink:
Samba

Postby the pink palermo on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:42 pm

jacko wrote:What tablets don't you take? The statins?

Yeah, I don't bother with them, not sure why not .

And I should make it clear I wouldn't dream of handing prescribed pharma to another person......I was only joking .
:thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Samba on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:09 am

the pink palermo wrote:Yeah, I don't bother with them, not sure why not .

You're not alone pinkie.
For many people, I think the jury's still out on them..I'm not sure of them, either way.
Samba

Postby davids cross on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:08 am

the pink palermo wrote:And I should make it clear I wouldn't dream of handing prescribed pharma to another person......I was only joking .

"cough"

What's the expiry date ?

:wink:
davids cross

Postby davids cross on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:16 am

Samba wrote:For many people, I think the jury's still out on them..I'm not sure of them, either way.

I think particularly for people in "risk and high risk" groups you would be nuts to ignore them.

As with everything nowadays there are scare stories. I rarely believe any of them. Six months later they'll change their mind.

It's a judgement call for a doctor. I've been on them a week now. No side effects at all.

I'm glad I've started them really. The risk to me is pretty high because of family history. I'm glad there is something working for me.
davids cross

Postby the pink palermo on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:03 am

davids cross wrote:"cough"

What's the expiry date ?

:wink:

I reckon I'm good for another 18 months or so, but beyond that who knows ?

davids cross wrote:I'm probably one stone overweight.

That's pretty darn good DC, I'm 7 stone overweight these days and I really feel it on my joints.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby davids cross on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:16 am

the pink palermo wrote:I reckon I'm good for another 18 months or so, but beyond that who knows ?

the pink palermo wrote:That's pretty darn good DC, I'm 7 stone overweight these days and I really feel it on my joints.

Yeah my joints too Pinkers......right knee and right shoulder for me.

I'm hoping the extra weight loss will help my knee joint especially. I remember you said you had trouble (was it standing) at matches ?....

Seafood diet for you Pinkers?.....tish boom.. :wink:
davids cross

Postby Monkeybubbles on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Re statins etc.....

I had a bit of a stroke about ten years ago. Caused by a weakness in a blood vessel in my brain, which bulged like a bubble in the inner tube of a Raleigh Tomahawk. The most indescribable pain, made all the worse by the fact that I was engaged in carnal activity at the time and ended up screaming on the floor covered in jizz. The ever fragrant Mrs Monkeybubbles was dancing round the room going "Yeah, I did that" instead of calling an ambulance.

Once I got back to some level of normality, the GP prescribed Atorvastatin for cholesterol, and Ramipril and Amlodipine for blood pressure.

I'm really fortunate that one of my best mates is a GP, and will talk me through stuff off the record. I was talking to him about how ridiculously poor my memory has become, which I assumed was attributable to the brain damage that occurred during the stroke. He mentioned that there's been a study that shows some links between memory impairment and statin usage, and suggested I come off them for three months to see what happens. Apparently the drug stays with you for at least a month, so three months should clear it.

I didn't notice any improvement in my memory (or if I did I've forgotten about it) but I did start getting some big old headaches. I decided to stick with the drugs, and write my memory off. It comes in handy sometimes, anyway.
Monkeybubbles

Postby prince_huggy on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:42 pm

Pictures or it didn't happen! :thup:
prince_huggy

Postby Tenbury on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Perhaps someone could start a ' Serious Injury/Death Whilst Shagging ' thread.
Tenbury

Postby Samba on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:45 pm

davids cross wrote:It's a judgement call for a doctor. I've been on them a week now. No side effects at all.
I'm glad I've started them really. The risk to me is pretty high because of family history. I'm glad there is something working for me.

:thup: If the side effects are zero or not too bad & it's saving your life, fair play to you, dc.
Samba

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug