A bike for commuting

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

A bike for commuting

Postby WHU_Del on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 pm

At the risk of getting absolutely slated like Dan did a few years back, I'm going to start cycling to work and not sure what I need.
It's only about three miles, on cycle paths and almost all flat. I don't want speed, I want comfort.
So I'm thinking about a hybrid, with full mudguards and a carrier. I don't want to worry about oily trousers, so I want a full chain case.
I'd rather have hub gears rather than a derailleur, and if money were no object I'd happy tootle around on a Pashley Roadster. But...that's about twice my budget.
Halfords have a Kingston, who I know nothing about. I've seen Apollo, Ammaco and Viking models which would be just right, but again, I don't know what the brands are like.
Any recommendations for about £350?
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Re: A bike for commuting

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 pm

A few years back? Try 8. “KUMB’s Campest cyclist”? You utter c*nts.

Anyway, get a rack & panniers on whatever you buy, and plan to take your clothes and change at work. Are you riding on roads, a cycle path or off road? That ought to have some influence on your choice. Hybrid is probably the starting place, but lots of off road would suggest an MTB might be more appropriate.

Get decent lights, and a standby kit containing at least 2 inner tubes, tyre irons, a bike tool, and the best pump you can afford. If you’re using it regularly you might want to think about a repair stand, which makes general maintenance and cleaning a lot easier. You can get front lights that actually illuminate the path in front of you rather than just make you visible to other road users - definitely worth considering if you’re riding anywhere thst isn’t well lit.

Indexing gears, centring brakes, and changing tyres and tubes are easy, servicing hydraulics is a bit fiddlier but you can buy syringe kits that are straightforward enough to use, especially if you have a repair stand. Changing gear cables is simple too, but I’ve only done derailleur gears, not a hub.
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:29 pm

Steer clear of Halfords, if you can. Consider a second hand “premium” brand instead of a Halfords own brand. Evans Pinnacle bikes are a good starting point. Get advice on sizing too.
DasNutNock

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:51 pm

I spent 600 quid on a hybrid about five years ago with a plan to cycle to work. I got a puncture on the second day, and it rained. I wheeled the ***tard home and hooked it in the lean-to beside the house, and it's stayed there ever since. It's probably just a pile of rust now, and good ****ing riddance. I'd say get your workout by masturbating vigorously on the bus instead, don't forget a change of clothes.
Monkeybubbles

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:53 pm

Agreed, consider borrowing one for a bit, see if you can actually hack cycling every day, which isn’t for everyone.
DasNutNock

Postby Mayday on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:02 pm

I have a Kona Dew Deluxe hybrid that I am looking to sell.
I have upgraded a few parts with about £300 worth of extras.
The bike is in perfect condition and rides beautifully. You can put panniers and mudguards on if that’s your thing.
I was looking for about £350 for it.
I can send some photos if you are interested.
I’m in Southend and London area.
Mayday

Postby yonni on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:57 pm

When I bought my commuter I spent £800 on a cyclocross bike with cable disc brakes about 5 1/2 years ago. I've replaced derailleurs (front and back) and both brake calipers at least once each. If I could do it again I would by a hybrid with internal hub gears, belt drive (instead of a chain) and cyclocross style brakes to accommodate thick tyres (we have a lot of cobbles in Edinburgh). The idea is comfort - flat bars and bigger tyres, low weight - no suspension fork, and low or easy maintenance - internal gears, belt drive, easy to service breaks. The winters here mean replacing chains once or twice a year plus cassettes and disc brake calipers about every 2 years. There are several about but a bit out of your price range.

If you have the know how you could probably pick up some ex hipster's single speed (there are loads about secondhand now) and buy the rear wheel and belt drive kit to fit and away you go. Alternatively get on the bike to work scheme and see whats about in the £700 range?
yonni

Postby WHU_Del on Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks for the input do far!
I like yonni's theories, a belt drive isn't something I was aware of but sounds like it's worth investigating.
Mayday, thanks for the offer but I'm not sure that's right for me.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby Junco Partner on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Careful Del, cycling to work gets incredibly addictive.

There's nothing like it to get the juices flowing in the morning and to blow away the stresses in the evening. It's meditative, thoughts float in and out like butterflies and your mood inevitably lifts, pretty soon when freed from waiting for buses, freed from delays on the District line, freed from spiralling season ticket costs, freed to detour through a beautiful park in autumn or a canal path in spring you'll get it....then you'll turn into one of us who thinks a few hundred quid on entirely peripheral parts is an entirely justified expense.

Get Fit. Save Time. Save Money. Save the Planet....what's not to like?

£350 is a good starting budget to see if you get the bug. Don't overlook the B'Twin Riverside and Hop-rider models, very different in style but good value components and quality build.

Trek's FX range have good entry level hybrids around £350. Halford's Boardman range are excellent hybrids with top quality components but you start around £500, you may get lucky with a sale on these as next years models will be coming in in a month or two.

Whichever you choose you're on a winner, just remember: Car's run on money and make you fat, bikes run on fat and save you money :thup:
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby jastons on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:15 pm

Aldi have cycling gear in store on Sunday

https://tinyurl.com/y7xdbrop
jastons

Postby Monkeybubbles on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 pm

Junco Partner wrote:Get Fit. Save Time. Save Money. Save the Planet....what's not to like?

I got a puncture.

It rained.

I got all sweaty and red-faced.

I had to get to work half an hour early to have a shower.

The shower was cold, and there were ginger pubes in the plughole (not mine).

I got a puncture.

My clothes got all scrunched up in my backpack.

I had to wear a backpack.

And one of those stupid hats.

It rained.

It was uphill. Both ways.

Other cyclists gave me 'the nod'.

Brighton bus drivers are mentalists.

Jeremy Corbyn rides a bike.

When a cute student girl overtook me I was too out of breath to hold my stomach in.

My hair got messed up (hat).

I came last in the race away from the traffic lights.

People on the buses looked at me with pity and/or disdain.

The bike shed smells of wee.

I probably did too.

It rained.....I got a puncture.....
Monkeybubbles

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:59 pm

Take a longer route if it means riding on quieter roads. You’ll never be sorry you did. Busy roads are far too dangerous to ride along, especially during commuter hours (IMO). I wouldn’t consider doing it if it meant risking my life, I’ve been incredibly lucky I’ve been able to ride to work on off road paths for nearly 20 years.

I reckon within a few years we’ll have subsidised electric bikes made available.
DasNutNock

Postby prince_huggy on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:17 am

WHU_Del does your workplace offer the ride to work scheme? Had two bikes on this now and 1) it works out cheaper and 2) you get to pay it off monthly, so can go a bit higher on the budget.

Just picked up a Pinnacle from Evans and it's a dream to ride. Hybrid with hub gears too but paid out 800 sobs for it.

Just cycled from Harold Wood station to home at Ilford, 45 minutes, no problem. Did what Dan said and took the cycle route for safety.
prince_huggy

Postby screech on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:00 pm

i got a hybrid and cycle about 5 miles each way every day, got a carerra but stupidly bought one with zero suspension, i use a mixture of roads, pavements and kerb jumping to avoid potholes, traffic etc
This has smashed the bike to pieces having no suspension, took it to halfords 6 weeks back and was told the back wheel inners needed replacing, the bearings in the front cogs needed replacing, the chain was stretched and needed replacing, brake pads had uneven wear due to the rear wheel inners causing the wheel to lean one side, £70 later all replaced and the bike is up and running
This week i start getting a clicking noise from the front end and the front wheel is now experiencing the same problems as the rear, front pads are now wearing all from the wobbly wheel and the front cog bearings are now grinding :x
luckily i have 15 miles left on the bike as i start a new job next week that is walking distance from home so this ****er is going into the shed for retirement and be used as a playground for the spiders
screech

Postby EugeneSpeed on Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:11 pm

I bought a mid-range hybrid when I decided to start cycling to work. Found it really heavy and too over-engineered for my needs which are essentially the 8 mile trip to work in central London and the occasional ride to the shops or something at the weekend.

Sold it and bought a steel frame single speed bike. It's perfect for London - you don't really need gears (London is pretty flat, and you're constantly stopping at lights so hard to get much real speed up), really quick to pull away at lights, requires pretty much zero maintenance.

Been doing it for about 10 years - no accidents, but a few near misses (usually other cyclists and people on mopeds). I think cycling at rush hour is fine personally.
EugeneSpeed

Postby WHU_Del on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:27 pm

The whole commute is on tarmacked paths (it's in Milton Keynes) and Google Maps shows it as pretty much flat, so I might think about single speed.
The idea of a 'relaxed' ride, and a bike with mudguards and a chaincase, is that I shouldn't need to worry about changing, or showering, as I shouldn't be getting very sweaty or dirty. I'm intending to have panniers to hold wet weather gear as well.
They do have a Cycle Scheme at work, so I might investigate that as well, but it'll depend on what the repayments are. I have £400 or so that I can spend without losing anything from the take-home. Also, I'm not sure when they reopen it again...
WHU_Del

Postby Junco Partner on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:29 pm

You will sweat, even with a relaxed ride in the most benign conditions.

Pack of baby wipes and a can of Lynx in the office will do the trick if theres no shower....your colleagues will thank you for it.

I hear the cycling infrastructure around MK is good and improving...they've saw the light.
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby Polaroid on Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:51 am

WHU_Del wrote:The whole commute is on tarmacked paths (it's in Milton Keynes) and Google Maps shows it as pretty much flat, so I might think about single speed. a 'relaxed' ride, and a bike with mudguards and a chaincase.

Forget all this high tech malarkey, what you're really looking for is a Raleigh Chopper :)
Polaroid

Postby Etonhammer on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:57 am

Ask David Lammy for the £600 one he got on his MP's expenses.

With all the social injustice he fights he hasn't had a chance to use it yet.
Etonhammer

Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter

Postby Tenbury on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:39 am

Reading your original post, you're only going 3 miles.

Save some wedge, forget looking like a d*ckhead..........walk.( Listen to birdsong, tit Monday, etc,etc ).
Tenbury

Next

Return to The Snug