Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) advice

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) advice

Postby iLoveLasagne on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:59 pm

I might have posted this before a few years ago but can't remember. Basically I am looking to go to Hong Kong in the future to teach for a few years. Can anybody recommend to me which course to choose? There seem to be online based and classroom based with some taking a lot less hours than others. I am not in a rush to complete the course as I don't intend to go for at least 18 months. I don't want to get ripped off or pay for something which is not necessary though. Ideally I'd like to get the course under my belt and then be able to get some experience under my belt before I go so I'd have something on my CV.

Cheers.
iLoveLasagne

Re: Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) advice

Postby fmgod on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:27 pm

I'd be tempted to do some work as a teaching assistant even just part-time to give you a classroom/teaching vibe and experience
fmgod

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:07 pm

some places require a degree in teaching, some will take an online course...not many though..

I managed a course online and luckily Cuenca doesn't have a great load of "proper" teachers begging for work and my work teaching coaching courses to adults and coaching kids for 25+ years was a plus.

you need to make sure that wherever it is you want to teach, will accept an online course as a "qualification."

I looked at loads of places and degrees in education were top of the list in loads of places. this is in order to get a visa from the government for your work.

(most of the time).
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby vietnammer on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:16 pm

Think HK are sticklers for BA graduates. I've managed a few plum posts elsewhere despite not being one, though I do have an MA now (had to say that!).

Main thing is, get a Trinity or RSA TEFL Cert because they are respected everywhere. They're not that difficult. Also, one that involves at least some direct contact (i.e. not entirely online) is quite crucial.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby sendô on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:21 pm

A 2:2 in Social Media Studies from your local Poly.
sendô

Postby Tenbury on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:42 pm

vietnammer wrote:Think HK are sticklers for BA graduates. I've managed a few plum posts elsewhere despite not being one, though I do have an MA now (had to say that!).

Main thing is, get a Trinity or RSA TEFL Cert because they are respected everywhere. They're not that difficult. Also, one that involves at least some direct contact (i.e. not entirely online) is quite crucial.

Isn't CELTA worth anything these days?
Tenbury

Postby iLoveLasagne on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Fmgod, I might have to see if there are any private tuition companies where I can teach here and there at weekends.

Cuenca, I have dual citizenship so this would negate the visa side of things and I do have a degree though not related to teaching at all. So get a TEFL under my belt and some teaching hours and I am nearly there? Classroom based courses might seem a bit more hassle but I would be more inclined to take these courses instead as experiential learning is invaluable as viet say. But still, the range of hours of learning to choose from varies greatly.

I just need something to pay the bills while I am out there for 6-8 years whilst another project takes shape. It just seemed like a relatively simple job which pays reasonably. Would those of you who have taught it say it was an enjoyable thing to do?

Cheers guys.
iLoveLasagne

Postby vietnammer on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Realise it can be a 'back-packer passing through' activity, but I still thoroughly enjoy it and have made a half-decent career out of it after 20 years. Should be nothing but enjoyable in HK anyway.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby iLoveLasagne on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 pm

sendô wrote:A 2:2 in Social Media Studies from your local Poly.

Will my 3rd in Drama not count?
iLoveLasagne

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Met some great people...

tough to make friends though because as Viet says, it is sometimes a passing through mentality.

I enjoyed the experience, have a couple of friends still here, one in particular..

I guess it depends upon the school, but it took loads of time outside the class to prepare, then of course marking homework and then marking exams and submitting the results etc.

that was my experience - I imagine loads will differ, but presume that everywhere prep for classes is always there and can be very time consuming.

the more experienced you become I would guess that prep classes would take less time, and if you teach the same course more than once, you can rely on the past preps to work.

always stuck mine on the laptop..

Highbury Hammer if he still posts on here, was working in Mexico for years I think...think also Korea Hammer did a stint, in, well Korea.

:wink:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby vietnammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Tenbury wrote:Isn't CELTA worth anything these days?

It depends on who it's moderated by. Anything can be called a CELTA, but the magic words are 'British Council'. If it isn't accredited by them then...well I won't say it ain't worth much, but it depends on if you're looking at it as a career or if you just want it as a backpacker or gap-year teacher. There were (I think it's more moderated now, for some very good reasons) all kinds of mickey mouse 'teaching' qualifications that might just get you an informal-type gig in Thailand or China, but having met some of these in Vietnam it doesn't go much beyond 'having a chat'. That's ok, but believe me there's a difference between 'Lonely Planet' getting-by and serious EFL teaching.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:18 pm

vietnammer wrote: There were (I think it's more moderated now, for some very good reasons) all kinds of mickey mouse 'teaching' qualifications that might just get you an informal-type gig in Ecuador, That's ok, but believe me there's a difference between 'Lonely Planet' getting-by and serious EFL teaching.

:(

:P
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Puff Daddy on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:03 am

China's the place to go for this and if you can get any of them to say red leather, yellow leather you can consider yourself a success
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Puff Daddy on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:05 am

Puff Daddy wrote:China's the place to go for this and if you can get any of them to say red lorry yellow lorry you can consider yourself a success
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby vietnammer on Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:41 pm

CUENCA

:oops:

Ah, why did I say Ecuador? I wasn't referring to your efforts pal, it's just that in China there were definitely 'two tiers' of teaching, one for backpackers and one for career teachers. It was also a bugbear in Vietnam cos parents would complain if they thought teachers were just passing through and saving money for travel.

I realise you were settled in Ecuador, and I probably chose that country cos I'd been reading one of your posts! I also recall your Cert involved serious study.

Apologies mate. Shall I keep digging.....
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:11 pm

you didn't mate...

I amended it for you !!!!!!

poking fun at myself !!!!!

:D

happily retired now, not teaching at all...don't want the "obligation" of being somewhere at some time or another but enjoyed my time doing it..

I also appreciated your assistance in getting the gig...I managed to stash a little savings and getting a nice rate of interest here on that, and with my little income from pensions from the UK and the US can make ends meet.

did the summer camp route, but last year with 105+ degrees (whatever that is in centigrade) it got too much.

plus we had one day rained out, she didn't refund any money to campers - but stopped us a day's wages which pissed the lads off mightily...

so rest assured mate, you didn't offend me at all, no need to stop digging...

Carry On Camping...

:lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby vietnammer on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:29 pm

You Sir are a cad, a bounder, a ne'er-do-well and general smelly person. I've spent two hours feeling bad cos I insulted someone.

I wouldn't have paid you either

You armpit
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:21 pm

:D :D :D
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Return to The Snug