Not Drinking - for a while.

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Not Drinking - for a while.

Postby WHU Independent on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:29 am

I came back from Ireland last week and after a week of constant drinking I have decided to stop drinking for a while. I'd thought I'd put this thread up as there may be other people like me who are actively not drinking or want/would like to abstain for a while, as well as any hints or tips that may help.

I've decided to give my self two periods of abstention (for now):

1) From 31/10/18 to 16/10/18 - only 17 days but I am 9 days in with another 7 to go. I chose this period because my mates from Ireland are coming over on the 16th and with a bunch of other mates we are all going to see Killing Joke. It will be a boozy two days and I also thought small steps...

So far it has been a breeze. I've been in a pub and drunk tea and coffee and last night I drunk soda and lime. I actually helped a mate out and did a 8 hour shift behind a bar last week and didn't touch a drop. However I discovered a few things; a) when I was bored I ended up really wanting to drink and b) the same happened when I was hungry. If I eat well and regularly and kept myself engaged my desire for booze vanished.

Today has been somewhat tough as I have been down a pub where the publican wanted to finish of a barrel of ale (it will be out of date tomorrow) and was giving pints away to his regulars. The thought of missing up on free booze was frustrating but drinking tea/coffee and other soft drinks, plus talking a lot made it easier. I know I'll make it because I'm determined and I follow the Don't Break The Chain method, which really suits my game based personality. https://www.writersstore.com/dont-break ... -seinfeld/

So far what I've noticed is this: in a short space of time my trousers have become looser round the waist: I can train harder and better - especially on my chest: My social life has dwindled a fair bit as I'm not tempted to go out with a bunch of drunk people: Some of my mates drink a lot every day, more than I'd envisioned. I've more time to myself. My sleeping is worse - I slept better when I had had a drink.

2) From 26/11/18 to 24/12/18 - I thought I'd give myself a weeks leeway and the go back to non drinking until Xmas eve, for a month, when I will no doubt have a beer or two.

After 1/1/19 - who knows.
WHU Independent

Re: Not Drinking - for a while.

Postby sendô on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:31 am

I've had a drink every day for the last don't-know-how-long. Over a week.

I'm out tonight. I'll probably go without tomorrow. Probably Saturday too as I'm taking the boy out to see the fireworks. Reckon I'll have a guiness Sunday lunchtime mind.
sendô

Postby S-H on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:33 am

I know I need a break, but there's always a reason for me to have a drink.

I'm so weak.
S-H

Postby Monkeybubbles on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:21 am

I take a break from drinking from time to time and find it fairly easy. I really miss the first pint after a game of football though, even though beer isn't my choice otherwise.

On the other hand, when I stopped drinking coffee I got moohoosive headaches. When I cut out sugar, I was a total wreck within an hour. I know what's not good for me, so I've substituted my morning coffee and sugary cereal with half a bottle of rum, and the day just flies by now.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Aycliffe on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:49 am

I have always been a sociable person and like a few drinks but as we get older my wife and I have little spells of not having a drink for 10 or so days. During the week is never a problem but must admit that the temptation is more trying over the weekend especially if I am watching the Hammers!

Can’t say that I have noticed any significant benefits apart from losing a bit of weight but I think that only played a part with also watching my diet and exercising more.
Aycliffe

Postby the pink palermo on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 am

Today is day 44 .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby S-H on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:57 am

the pink palermo wrote:Today is day 44 .

:thup:
S-H

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:08 am

I ****ing love drinking.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Patito on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:21 am

Good luck WHUI. :thup:

I love a drink but as I'm into my fitness I regularly have periods of weeks/months without a drop. It's tough.
Patito

Postby HighWycombeHammer on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 am

Well done. Is it for any particular reason?

I gave it up for lent once. I give up something for lent every year. I am not religious but want to know if I still have will power...
HighWycombeHammer

Postby sendô on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:55 am

Monkeybubbles wrote:On the other hand, when I stopped drinking coffee I got moohoosive headaches.

I need to cut out coffee. It's bloody hard, when I get to work I'm still sleepy, and I've tried cracking on without it but you get the headaches, I'm walking around yawning and I'm irritable.

How do people live without coffee? Is it even possible?
sendô

Postby prophet:marginal on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Day 115 or thereabouts for me. Stopped again after a holiday in July.

Dry before that, from start of the year.

Will probably enjoy the odd booze up at Christmas, but might give it up for good after that.
prophet:marginal

Postby Mega Ron on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm

My wife and I have been sharing one bottle of wine a week over Friday and Saturday night for the last couple of months.

Sometimes we don't even have that. It certainly makes getting out of bed, and falling asleep come to that, much less effort.
Mega Ron

Postby Morocco Mole on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:54 pm

I've stopped drinking Tuesdays through Thursdays every week and it's alright to be honest. Weight stays off easier, better in the mornings and at the gym. The usual ****. :thup:

Absolutely no way on this earth that I could go in the boozer though and not have an adult bev. Not a chance.
Morocco Mole

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:50 pm

It's Day 3652 for moi . :)

Like Mr Rip Off , I loved drinking , any excuse , if I could make a wish , I'd wish for all the money I spent on drink - If I could have my time back all over again I wouldn't have touched alcohol .

WHUI - you will begin to sleep better once you get used to not drinking .

Mr Pink - Well done , mate . :thup:
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Samba on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:21 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:Day 115 or thereabouts for me. Stopped again after a holiday in July.
Dry before that, from start of the year.
Will probably enjoy the odd booze up at Christmas, but might give it up for good after that.

Bloody well done, tpp & pm.
It's a bit like a curse on humankind that enjoyable things are bad for us.
Of course, all things are bad for us, in excess.
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby Samba on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 pm

sendô wrote:I need to cut out coffee. It's bloody hard, when I get to work I'm still sleepy, and I've tried cracking on without it but you get the headaches, I'm walking around yawning and I'm irritable.
How do people live without coffee? Is it even possible?

First of all, can you just cut down sendô? Perhaps just have 2 cups a day? Or have decaf? (I hate it though!)
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby WHU Independent on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 am

Day 10: - Been in the pub twice today and drunk tea and coffee in both instances. My tea and coffee consumption has increased dramatically - I drink decaf in both (mostly) - as I can't do water on it's own. Training went well, bright and alert most of the day. Again keeping well fed and busy kept any notion of drinking away.

Sad thing was I watched a mate start drinking at 11 am and when I came back to visit him at 6pm he'd been on it all day and was continuing during the evening. I've tried to steer the conversation towards his situation but he won't even acknowledge it as drinking like that is so engrained in his life. I've got one mate dying of cirrhosis of the liver and I really hope my other mate doesn't follow suit.

Speaking of my mate who has cirrhosis, he always thought " Well if I get any problems with my liver, I'll just collapse and die." Much to his cost he has found that is not the case. A lengthy, lingering, debilitating, painful death is all he has to look forward to. He even tried to kill himself once but failed - and this has made his situation worse.
WHU Independent

Postby AnthraxDave on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:12 am

Starting my new job on Monday, so gunna give the alcohol a miss until the weekend before Christmas.
Problem for me has always been not knowing when to say stop. Mondays, therefore, have always been a write-off in terms of productivity because I am having knackered-anxiety rebound from binge drinking on a weekend. I'm always sober during the week, but can go a bit daft during a weekend.
AnthraxDave

Postby WHU Independent on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:51 am

:thup: More money for Warhammer !
WHU Independent

Next

Return to The Snug