Not Drinking - for a while.

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Not Drinking - for a while.

Postby pablo jaye on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:10 am

I’m a social drinker, and very rarely drink during the week if it’s just the missus and I around. I went on a stag do at the weekend and that was two days of heavy drinking - I got back on Sunday and haven’t even thought of having a tipple. Going out tonight for a curry and am driving, so it’ll be soda and lime for me.
pablo jaye

Postby btajim - mcfc on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:42 am

WHU Independent wrote:I came back from Ireland last week and after a week of constant drinking I have decided to stop drinking for a while.

Dublin for Ireland v Wales in the Nations League did that for me. I was a wreck for a fortnight after just three days in the capital. I don't normally drink Guinness but it was heaven. Went down so easily.

I was out last Saturday. The pub was quiet as there were a couple of private parties elsewhere that us unpopular types hadn't been invited to. I drank eight pints that evening and went home. It just goes down until the wallet is empty or the body says no more.

On a side note, I hate bad bar staff and cliquey pubs. I've given up in one place where Thelma from Scooby Do serves everyone ahead of me and stops at the till forever before short changing me by £1. I once waited ten minutes to get served because three of them stood outside smoking. Another pretends she can't understand what I say and then doesn't give me a clean glass. It's just a case of your face not fitting because you don't resemble an e-fit from Crimewatch.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Postby orbital on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:32 am

I originally planned to do 4 weeks, today is week 7, tend to stick to Soda and Lime and the only thing i am missing is the taste of New Zealand Sauv Blanc. I was a a fairly regular drinker (most nights), and have had the odd week or 2 off in past so just gonna go as long as I can, even at the last few matches have managed to stay off it, have a long flight next month which I normally have to be hammered for, so that will be the real test!!!
orbital

Postby Hammers Dad on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:12 pm

I'm the opposite, I rarely drink. Every so often I might have a pint or bottle of beer, but I have to be in the mood for it or I won't bother.
Hammers Dad

Postby Mattias on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:52 pm

I´m not drinking now for 15 hours. I´ll easily make another 6
Cheers
Mattias

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Should knock it on the head, but it's one of my few pleasures in life these days.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby Puff Daddy on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:49 pm

There was a TV advertisement back in the mid to late 60's featuring Bobby and Tina Moore drinking in the pub. The advertisement itself was filmed in what was my local back in those days, The Beehive, in Beehive Lane, Redbridge. It was not to advertise any particular brand of beer, but merely to encourage us all, with the strap line, 'To be like Mr and Mrs Bobby Moore and pay a visit to your local' I used to spend hours in there every night of the week in those days pissing it up, but now I could not think of anything else I would least not want to do.i still like tipple occasionally, but it's not uppermost in my priorities
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Estuary on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:31 pm

I don't drink Monday to Fri unless I go to football. It is a regime I have had for twenty years now and I don't give drink a moments thought until Friday comes and then I look forward to a glass of wine or a beer.
Back in the day I would drink lunch time and evening seven days a week but as a very fit younger man it didn't impair me at all, today I would be in bed all day Tuesday and couldn't look at a drink for a week if I drank like that on a Monday.
Estuary

Postby sendô on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Samba wrote:First of all, can you just cut down sendô? Perhaps just have 2 cups a day? Or have decaf? (I hate it though!)

It's not really the volume, it's the morning cup to get me going. Most days I'll normally just have 2 cups, at the most, but could easily just have the one, but can't go without that morning cup.

Strangely, at the weekend I normally wont drink coffee, but then I'll have 2 or 3 cups of tea one after the other.
sendô

Postby WHU Independent on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:01 am

Day 11 - Did a shift in a pub for a mate for 5 hours. Three cups of tea, two sandwiches and two soda and limes ( a really lovely drink btw!) and I was done. Wasn't remotely tempted to touch a drop despite being surrounded by free booze.

One thing that also helped was the fact that there were some pissed up people in the pub when I started and they were a mess. They thought they were being funny , but they just come over as total prats and one of them was getting a bit growley the more he drunk. Luckily they left soon after I came on shift, but that didn't stop other folk coming in crashing down the booze and acting like ****ers. Being sober and watching/interacting with people who have had a few is a real revelation. It makes you think: "Am I like that when I have had a few drinks?" The answer as we all know is a resounding "Yes!"

Anyhow onwards and upwards. Well sorta: my sleep is appalling , I hardly slept at all yesterday ( and can't sleep now, hence this post): My social life is non existent. My eating patterns are also shot. The good news is I am saving a bomb - I can see how booze really hits your pocket and cash flow. I would probably spend £90 a week on booze but that is safely in my bin plus the money I earned tonight. Happy days!
WHU Independent

Postby S-H on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:05 am

I'm stopping until Christmas, had my last drink (9 pints) on Thursday, woke up yesterday not with a hangover but just full of shame, and feeling really low. Definitely time for a break.
S-H

Postby Rover's returned on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:32 pm

8680 days. Life has improved since I stopped. Had no control after that first drink.
Rover's returned

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:56 am

Stay strong , lads and whatever you do don't look at the New Age Beers thread below . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Chinners92 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Did 4 months from Jan 1st to around May 1st this year. Felt great and after the first few weeks was pretty easy. Drank non alcoholic beer when I fancied one and a lot of cordial and tonic.

Then the summer hit and it became pretty difficult. Apart from a few big weekends in August and a house party last weekend it's given me a lot more control of my drinking week to week. I know now I don't need to drink loads to have a good time.

If I didn't love whiskey and pale ale so much I reckon I could give it up forever. Maybe one day I will.
Chinners92

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:21 pm

I've slowly drifted to the point where I have three nights a week off it, and the maximum intake my body can tolerate in any one sitting is under four pints (I used to drink that in 90 minutes not so long ago for starters).

Nights off = improved sleep, clearer head, settled stomach etc.

I'm slightly more tolerant and less argumentative when off the beer; I make more of an effort to fill leisure time with other things, mostly music.

Drinking has often been a release from boredom, stress and social insecurity I suppose - and it's normally been a big factor in the things I've said and done and look back at now and think , "stupid boy".
bubbles1966

Location: It's December.....time to forget the serious things...merry Xmas all

Postby Monkeybubbles on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:31 pm

S-H wrote:I'm stopping until Christmas, had my last drink (9 pints) on Thursday, woke up yesterday not with a hangover but just full of shame, and feeling really low. Definitely time for a break.

9 pints?!? On a Thursday?!?!

Dude.
Monkeybubbles

Postby vietnammer on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Puff Daddy wrote: Mr and Mrs Bobby Moore

Seen this used to demonstrate sexism in 60's advertising!

Seem to be finally getting over a decades-old bad habit of knocking it back for hours and hours alone. The internet really didn't help in that regard, but I think I've finally got bored with it, let alone how much it bored the other half. Opened a bottle of San Miguel late last Saturday and didn't even finish it. In the past it might have heralded a 3am job.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby S-H on Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:
9 pints?!? On a Thursday?!?!

Dude.

It was my wedding anniversary and I had Friday off..

I ain't that bad!

:)
S-H

Postby WHU Independent on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:21 pm

Days -12 +13: Spent a good few hours drinking pints of lime and soda yesterday. Watched my mates get wankered in the pub and drove home. Driving after a night in the pub is a bonus as is my water intake which is going up percentage which by the 100's.

Today popped in the pub for a chat - another water - and left after a while. Didn't feel tempted. I've left the coffee alone and I am sleeping a bit better. More energy today as I did a lot of stuff I was putting off, so that's a plus.

Four more days to go before I meet up with my mates and have my first drink for a while.
WHU Independent

Postby Clucking Bell on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:27 am

I'm a little and often kinda guy. I'll drink two beers a day pretty much every day ..... although that's only a pint and a bit in English. When I'm cooking with wine, what doesn't go in the meal will go down my throat over the course of the following day or so.... just in case it goes 'off'. Waste not, want not and all that.

My real problem is spirits. I've stopped buying Scotch as I can easily get through a bottle in four or five days and I buy one bottle of gin a month. This normally lasts about ten days. The only good thing is that I don't drink beer during that time.

The only thing I don't like about drinking is the slight feeling that I'm a bit addicted to it. Then again, every man needs at least one bad habit.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug