Black Friday

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Black Friday

Postby S-H on Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:10 pm

S-H

Postby warp on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:25 pm

slaves
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Sauce! on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:54 pm

The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe DVD box set...

Sauce!

Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.

Postby Coops on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:27 pm

Are things really cheaper?
I'm thinking about buying Mrs Coops a new laptop.
Coops

Postby Dover KUMB fan on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:56 pm

warp wrote:slaves

Careful, you get the wrath of the self proclaimed comedy critic!
Dover KUMB fan

Postby sendô on Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:05 pm

Ben wrote:they should open the transfer window for one day and allow clubs to offering around dead wood or even their best players at a killer deal 8-)

Andy Carroll for sale.
You wont pay £35m!
You wont even pay £15m!
You can get him for the one time only cut price deal of £5m!
sendô

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:26 pm

Eh? Why would anyone take £5M and Carroll off your hands? That won’t even pay his first year’s wages.
DasNutNock

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:14 pm

I bought a sun-dial as it was 40% off the original price only to discover it won't work on Skye .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Ok , I'm not au fait with this Amazon Echo malarkey , I mean I'd love to own a device that responds to my every command [ no I'm not going to make a joke about that's why I got married ] but I bet that if I did go ahead and invested 54 quid in an Amazon Echo I'd then have to invest in a whole load of other things , i-Tunes , Spotify , Amazon Prime etc . I've got a laptop and a set of M-Audio speakers [ as recommended by UTJ a few years ago now ] - I can play any type of music through there , ok I can't dim the lights but I can get up and do it myself .

Why do I need an Amazon Echo and what else would I need to set it up ?
The Old Man of Storr

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:02 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Ok , I'm not au fait with this Amazon Echo malarkey , I mean I'd love to own a device that responds to my every command [ no I'm not going to make a joke about that's why I got married ] but I bet that if I did go ahead and invested 54 quid in an Amazon Echo I'd then have to invest in a whole load of other things , i-Tunes , Spotify , Amazon Prime etc . I've got a laptop and a set of M-Audio speakers [ as recommended by UTJ a few years ago now ] - I can play any type of music through there , ok I can't dim the lights but I can get up and do it myself .

Why do I need an Amazon Echo and what else would I need to set it up ?

Its a good radio streaming speaker, at the very least. If you have an amazon prime sub, you also get access to their music database.

Basically, it’s replaced the unreliable DAB radio we had in the kitchen, and we also use them to control our lights,
DasNutNock

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:17 pm

It's also always on despite what you may think, and is constantly listening for keywords (anything Amazon sell) and reporting back to mothership. Mention anything in passing and you'll find your email inbox bombarded with 'special offers' on whatever you talked about, every web page you visit will be plastered with adverts for it too.

It''s like 1984 but you pay for the privilege.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Rocketron on Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:36 pm

I normally do my weekly shop on a Friday. I did it yesterday to avoid the morons today.
Rocketron

Postby Ben on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:50 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:It's also always on despite what you may think, and is constantly listening for keywords (anything Amazon sell) and reporting back to mothership. Mention anything in passing and you'll find your email inbox bombarded with 'special offers' on whatever you talked about, every web page you visit will be plastered with adverts for it too.

It''s like 1984 but you pay for the privilege.

Sounds handy, talk about a PS4 and get an offer put on a plate for me, I like it!
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby Samba on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:34 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Why do I need an Amazon Echo?

In case you have any more of your 'scar incidents', TOMoS..
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:47 pm

DasNutNock wrote:
Its a good radio streaming speaker, at the very least. If you have an amazon prime sub, you also get access to their music database.

Basically, it’s replaced the unreliable DAB radio we had in the kitchen, and we also use them to control our lights,

You see if it was just a matter of spending 54 quid I'd get one tomorrow , but they suck you in with having to then subscribe to Amazon Prime which would be fine if we hadn't subscribed to Netflix so that our daughter could get access to television , so it's a definite no-no from me .
I have an ordinary , well it's rather beautiful actually , Roberts radio which we inherited from Jen's Aunt , we can also access digital radio from the Sky Q thingy , I get little enough exercise as it is so switching the lights off is probablt good for me .

Not denigrating anyone who wishes to own an Amazon Echo , I've wasted money on plenty of unnecessary stuff in my time - if there was anything it could do that was out of the ordinary that didn't include having to spend even more money I'd treat myself . It's like their Amazon Fire tablet offers ,, I nearly bought a 7 inch one the other day just because it was only thirty quid but I counted the laptops we have in the house , we have 6 of them , ok , one of them ain't working just now but it's still enough to accomplish everything a 7 inch tablet can do .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:52 pm

Samba wrote:quote="The Old Man of Storr"]Why do I need an Amazon Echo?[/quote
In case you have any more of your 'scar incidents', TOMoS..

Can they stitch my leg up ?

Do they call the Doctor for you ?

Funnily enough , the night I fell down backwards cutting my leg open , Jen had just come out of hospital after an operation and couldn't walk let alone drive a car so our daughter ran next door to get our neighbour to drive me to hospital .

The Amazon Echo doesn't drive you to hospital does it ?

[ No , but it can play me Frank Sinatra as someone else does ] .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Samba on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:57 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote: You see if it was just a matter of spending 54 quid I'd get one tomorrow , but they suck you in with having to then subscribe to Amazon Prime which would be fine if we hadn't subscribed to Netflix so that our daughter could get access to television , so it's a definite no-no from me .
I have an ordinary , well it's rather beautiful actually , Roberts radio which we inherited from Jen's Aunt , we can also access digital radio from the Sky Q thingy , I get little enough exercise as it is so switching the lights off is probablt good for me .

Wise words, TOMoS.
You buy something fairly cheap (& sometimes) don't notice/realise just how much the subscription/contract is then, quietly costing you.
There's a reason why all-in-one computer printers are so cheap or even free...
Samba

Postby Samba on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:05 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Can they stitch my leg up? Not currently. Call G, S & B for that.
Do they call the Doctor for you? Almost certainly, yes.
Funnily enough , the night I fell down backwards cutting my leg open , Jen had just come out of hospital after an operation and couldn't walk let alone drive a car so our daughter ran next door to get our neighbour to drive me to hospital.
And if your daughter hadn't been there, you could have possibly shouted at your 'device' to alert your neighbour.
The Amazon Echo doesn't drive you to hospital does it?
[No, but it can play me Frank Sinatra as someone else does]. Abso-bloody-lutely.
Samba

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:08 am

Our son was thre too .

How does the Amazon device alert your neighbours then - do they need to have one installed too ?
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Samba on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:11 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Our son was thre too .
How does the Amazon device alert your neighbours then - do they need to have one installed too ?

:oops: I have no idea.
I got lost on the Smart Home thread..
Samba

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug