The best things in life are free

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

The best things in life are free

Postby only1post on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Black Friday, Cyber Monday, a gift ideas thread, cars clogging up the roads heading to Lakeside for Christmas shopping as another Amazon delivery of expensive tech arrives for my 19 year old son.

Almost 50 years ago a six year old heads into the garden to be greeted by a goal made from driftwood washed up on the shore at Ferry Lane with netting stitched together from old brussel sprouts bags. White paint and nails that he would already have had in the shed. I can't explain how many hours of fun that home made goal gave me.

Excuse this hypocritical thread, as no doubt I will fork out as much money as the next person, but I miss my dad.
only1post

Re: The best things in life are free

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:55 pm

I was a hand me down kid (weren't we all in the 70's?)

Anyway, my mum came home from work one day, with a baggy old red Fred Perry jumper that some bod she worked with didn't want any more. I was about 10 I suppose. I reckon I put it on after school every day for 6 months straight.

Absolutely adored that jumper!
prophet:marginal

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:09 pm

As kids we went through a karting phase , not the type driven by would-be Formula One drivers but the ones you'd build from planks of wood and old pram wheels .

My mate's Dad built us one and he put smaller wheels on the front which seemed to go faster than anyone else's - Sponks and I beat everyone every time - the local bullies got so fed up of us beating them they took our cart and smashed it up .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Samba on Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:43 pm

only1post wrote:Black Friday, Cyber Monday, a gift ideas thread, cars clogging up the roads heading to Lakeside for Christmas shopping as another Amazon delivery of expensive tech arrives for my 19 year old son.

Almost 50 years ago a six year old heads into the garden to be greeted by a goal made from driftwood washed up on the shore at Ferry Lane with netting stitched together from old brussel sprouts bags. White paint and nails that he would already have had in the shed. I can't explain how many hours of fun that home made goal gave me.

Excuse this hypocritical thread, as no doubt I will fork out as much money as the next person, but I miss my dad.

That's a great post, mate.
I don't know, of course, but I hope you'll be with your dad again, one day.
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby jevs on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Growing up in the 70's, my west ham top was an old blue short sleeved shirt with a maroon tank top that my mum knitted for me. I lived in that for about 3 years.
jevs

Postby Monkeybubbles on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:24 pm

Rum
Monkeybubbles

Postby vietnammer on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:19 am

only1post wrote: I can't explain how many hours of fun that home made goal gave me.

That's such a nice tale! Put me in mind of the 4x12 speaker cabinet my Dad designed, planned out (all proper engineering drawing) and built for me when I was a teenager, all so I could go and make orrible racket with a guitar!
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby peter49uk on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:14 am

What a great post, I think I have something in my eye, yer bugger.
If you didn't miss him he wouldn't be your dad, my dad passed away many years ago but I still miss him but I still have the memories, no one can take them away,
peter49uk

Postby FreeWheeling on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:01 pm

A **** , even the Gov can't tax that :thup:
FreeWheeling

Postby sendô on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:53 pm

only1post wrote:Black Friday, Cyber Monday, a gift ideas thread, cars clogging up the roads heading to Lakeside for Christmas shopping as another Amazon delivery of expensive tech arrives for my 19 year old son.

If you really had made only1post on this site, you'd definitely want it to be that one.

Mainly because all your other posts were ****ing crap, but also partly because this one was really good.

You soppy ****. :thup:
sendô

Postby Balhamite on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:07 pm

I had a lovely hour with my 4 year old daughter on Sunday morning.

we spent it "cleaning" leaves in puddles with sticks, then collecting these weird spherical seed pods from the ground, and filling an empty vessel full of them.

All child led - the imagination of a 4 year is a wonderful thing...........
Balhamite

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:05 pm

collecting a new set of golf clubs tonight which are a gift for passing on some work to someone BUT
watching my daughter perform at the Edinburgh fringe festival was decent
and watching my son train on the hallowed turf at UP as a 7 yr old far outweigh anything free i have received.

Although some dutch fella once dropped a bag of 20 green pills in front of me at a new years eve rave in GOA back in 93 which was pretty decent too.
psychoscoredthelot

Return to The Snug