TV & broadband

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

TV & broadband

Postby Denzil on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Moving into my new gaff, what's the cheapest way to get Sky Sports, BT Sport and broadband? Virgin, annoyingly, don't operate in my area as I planned to go with them to automatically get BT Sport.

Any decent deals / ways to bundle together I should be aware of?

Cheers :thup:
Denzil

Re: TV & broadband

Postby S-H on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:13 pm

If you go with Sky be prepared to pay through the nose for it especially if you want the full package, that said they always have deals for new customers, as do BT sport if you wish to add that.

Just shop around, and see what they are offering.
S-H

Postby Denzil on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:45 pm

I've done some initial searching, looking with BT or Sky:

BT
- Superfast Fibre Broadband
- BT TV with BT Sport HD
- AMC
- Sky Sports HD

£71.99 p/m - I guess I'd need a line rental too, which they ask for £21.99 p/m for!

Sky
- SKY Q TV + Sky Sports HD
- Broadband (11Mb avg)
- BT Sport HD + £26 through BT

£86 p/m

Both of these options seem expensive vs what I hear some people pay. I am sure some of my mates pay around £50 for full packages.
Denzil

Postby sendô on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Virgin are ****ers.

Service is crap too.
sendô

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Yes, Virgin are hundred mile high c*nts. Their service is laughably sh*t, although they did send me a new router quickly enough the other day.
DasNutNock

Postby sendô on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:26 pm

I've just switched to sky broadband, £18pm all in.

Don't need the TV. It's all utter b*llocks. I've got netflix + amazon prime, and any sport I want to watch I'll use as an excuse to pop down the pub.
sendô

Postby Denzil on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:38 pm

sendô wrote:I've just switched to sky broadband, £18pm all in.

Don't need the TV. It's all utter b*llocks. I've got netflix + amazon prime, and any sport I want to watch I'll use as an excuse to pop down the pub.

Thanks for the heads up re Virgin Sendo & Dan.

This may be a route I'll go down but with this being my first owned place nights out will be reduced, so I need more stuff to keep me entertained indoors. One option I am looking at is getting Now TV and subscribing to sky sports on a rolling monthly for £33 p/m. I won't watch any other sky channel and I have Netflix which is all she watches really other than the reality dross on freeview.

Sendo, does that include line rental? I haven't set up a landline yet.
Denzil

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:42 pm

get the fastest internet possible, stream the sports and download the t.v. and films from the *regular* sources.

haven't actually had t.v. for probably 4-5 years all in all....of course friends where I stayed had, but I never bothered.

you can watch live t.v. too from several sites:

I use this one, and I know when I had 200 whatevers internet speed it worked a treat..

https://www.firstonetv.net/Index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

go to "watch t.v. now" and select a country.....

https://www.firstonetv.net/Live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

totally free...................and there's t.v. channels from around the world on there too..

used it for about 18 months or more............

I actually listen to the radio more than anything - again on the net...

Classic FM
Talksports
World Service

podcasts of radio shows...and talk radio from the U.S. or sports radio from pretty much anywhere..I listen to the Houston local shows to keep up with my Texans and Rockets...

use a U.S. flag on Hola vpn (free) because some stations on a.m. don't broadcast overseas.

sorted mate.....
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

I get the full sky package (without BT as they can't really do good discounts on it apparantly), for 30 odd a long. However, Vodafone was the best speeds for broadband for my house so went with them at 20 quid a month on a payg home phone basis (never use it, still don't know why we even have one plugged in).
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby ageing hammer on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:25 pm

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:I get the full sky package (without BT as they can't really do good discounts on it apparantly), for 30 odd a long. However, Vodafone was the best speeds for broadband for my house so went with them at 20 quid a month on a payg home phone basis (never use it, still don't know why we even have one plugged in).

Reminds me of this :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evpmwLJFZ_U
ageing hammer

Postby Denzil on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Seems like we're stuck in the dark ages in Rayleigh, just got off the phone to BT and apparently fibre is not available to me as the local exchange is full, which means it's only available once it gets expanded.

Apparently they can offer me 15Mb broadband....I am a tech noob, is that any good or a load of rubbish? He also said it'll be the case with all broadband providers that they cannot offer me fibre, is that true?
Denzil

Postby fmgod on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:31 pm

If you just want sports, go IPTV, about 30 ish for the year, cancelled Sky and BT years ago

Broadband
fmgod

Postby sendô on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Denzil wrote:Sendo, does that include line rental? I haven't set up a landline yet.

Yep, broadband is only 5-11MB average, but all I'm going to do with it is surf KUMB or look at grot for the most part.

I'm actually pretty chuffed that I've now got broadband, a landline and 2 mobiles for £42 a month.
sendô

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Virgin. I think the word you're looking for is "twenty", not "one hundred".
DasNutNock

Postby CentenaryUpperHammer on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Moving into a new place at the end of the year & have signed up for Virgin against my better judgement. I did a comparison & the speeds being offered by Sky/TalkTalk were astonishingly crap compared. Only time will well if Virgin's speeds are grossly over exaggerated or not.

Paying £34 for Vivid 100 Fibre & their standard TV bundle. Going to run an IPTV player via a Kodi box for everything else. Seen some good reviews on Doozer on here, so may give that a go.
CentenaryUpperHammer

Postby mushy on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:48 pm

fmgod wrote:If you just want sports, go IPTV, about 30 ish for the year, cancelled Sky and BT years ago

Broadband

I have looked at IPTV and there seems a wide and varied number of providers and packages.
Do you have a recommendation?
mushy

Postby Wembley1966 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:31 pm

^^^ Look on the Kodi thread in the Music, Film & TV forum - Doozer is one that many of us use, currently £25 a year. Lots of comments over the last 4 pages:

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=150442&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=1480#p5336231
Wembley1966

Postby brothernero on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:37 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Yes, Virgin are hundred mile high c*nts. Their service is laughably sh*t, although they did send me a new router quickly enough the other day.

Been with Virgin Media for nearly a decade and have had next to no issues with them, they are slightly on the expensive side, but on the odd time there is an issue they sort it quickly and even give refunds.

Once lost the Internet for 4 days and they refunded us a whole month, which included the TV and Phone Package.

We did not have Sky, but since my dad has become house bound we set it up for him and explained to VM his situation, they were great and added Sky Sports and Sky cinema and gave him a TiVo box, all for an extra £10 a month.

Yet everyone I know who is with or was with BT does nothing but slag it off and say they have issues over and over again.

PS With VM I get up to 200MB Speed.
brothernero

Postby Denzil on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:25 am

I ended up going with Sky. As mentioned, the local fibre cabinet is full so I could only get broadband which is really frustrating but it's the same story with every provider. Nothing I can do until space frees up when I am told they'll upgrade me onto fibre at no extra cost. We'll see if that actually happens...

Boradband
Line rental
Sky Q HD
Sky Sports HD
Sky Movies HD

£55 p/m.

I didn't want movies but when I said I was going to shop around when he quoted me £50 for broadband, sky and sky sports which was already discounted he said he can chuck in movies and HD for a fiver.

Will review again in 18 months when they bump the prices up but I am happy enough with the package for now. I get BT Sports with my EE phone contract so I can watch those games on my iPhone 7+ which is not the end of the world. Saves the extra £27 a month BT want for it.

I'm just really worried the broadband will be crap. I use it mainly for streaming and playing the xbox every now and again. Plus her internet shopping no doubt.
Denzil

Postby BabyClaret on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:42 am

Denzil wrote:I ended up going with Sky. As mentioned, the local fibre cabinet is full so I could only get broadband which is really frustrating but it's the same story with every provider. Nothing I can do until space frees up when I am told they'll upgrade me onto fibre at no extra cost. We'll see if that actually happens...

Boradband
Line rental
Sky Q HD
Sky Sports HD
Sky Movies HD

£55 p/m.

I didn't want movies but when I said I was going to shop around when he quoted me £50 for broadband, sky and sky sports which was already discounted he said he can chuck in movies and HD for a fiver.

Will review again in 18 months when they bump the prices up but I am happy enough with the package for now. I get BT Sports with my EE phone contract so I can watch those games on my iPhone 7+ which is not the end of the world. Saves the extra £27 a month BT want for it.

I'm just really worried the broadband will be crap. I use it mainly for streaming and playing the xbox every now and again. Plus her internet shopping no doubt.

Get a chromecast to cast from your phone to your TV.
BabyClaret

Next

Return to The Snug