TV & broadband

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: TV & broadband

Postby Denzil on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:17 pm

I've tried it before via apple TV but it wouldn't let me do it as I guess the app prevents it to stop people just signing up for the up payment rather than TV. Would a chromecast work?
Denzil

Postby BabyClaret on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Denzil wrote:I've tried it before via apple TV but it wouldn't let me do it as I guess the app prevents it to stop people just signing up for the up payment rather than TV. Would a chromecast work?

Yep I cast from my iPhone to my TV using chromecast all the time - including BT Sport. It'sa great bit of kit for £30
BabyClaret

Postby Wembley1966 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 pm

They didn't used to allow casting as they only had the rights for mobile hand-held devices - that changed this season so they now support casting via Apple TV and Chromecast.
Wembley1966

Postby sendô on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Denzil wrote:Boradband
Line rental
Sky Q HD
Sky Sports HD
Sky Movies HD

£55 p/m.

That's a pretty good deal.

I'd have gone for that if I'd known it was on offer.

No doubt I'll get a call from them soon after they connect my broadband.
sendô

Postby Kludgehammer on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 pm

For all that I agree that Virgin are a shambles of a company, none of the other companies can compete with their speed (apart from currently-niche players like Hyperoptic).

BT's broadband typically tops out at 50-60Mb, Virgin's top tier is 200 or 300.
Kludgehammer

Postby brothernero on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Perhaps it just depends on what area people live in. :eh:

Virgin Media for me is as I said fantastic, I know quite a few people such as family, Friends and Neighbours who have Virgin Media and I don't recall a single one of them having anything bad to say.

In fact one of those people works for BT in their sales department and even he has VM over BT.

Talk Talk is another that seems to get slagged royally, Plusnet more hit than Miss, Heard good things about them. .
brothernero

Postby BabyClaret on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:27 am

While at Uni I handled the broadband and have nothing but good things to say about VM - the minute i move to an area with fibre i will probably go over to them from Sky.
BabyClaret

Postby stuboy on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:58 am

DasNutNock wrote:Yes, Virgin are hundred mile high c*nts. Their service is laughably sh*t, although they did send me a new router quickly enough the other day.

Never seemed to have that much of an issue with them in the 8 years I've been with them. Had to call them a handful of times and if you can get passed their cockwomble 1st level support pretty quickly (like most ISPs) and speak to someone with an ounce of knowledge then they have been okay with me. Probably not helped with me being an annoying Network Inf engineer that thinks he knows it all. :oops:

- Virgin 300Mb (get around 220Mb mostly)
- Netflix
- NowTv, with Sky Sports
- IPTV for any other channels I can't get and US channels for Ice Hockey

Around £70

I haven't had standard Sky, BT , Virgin TV or phone line for over 15 years.

Sorry Denzil, I know that doesn't help you in Raleigh.
stuboy

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:00 am

So I called VM tech support yesterday to ask if they were throttling my connection, because i've not had anything better than 20mbps in months. They said they weren't, they never throttle connections, and that it must be something my side. I gave my wearily-familiar "I've done all the client-side tests I can, isolated equipment, restarted everything, reset configs, used direct cabled connections, this is definitely a provider-side problem blah blah blah" speech and asked if he could dispatch an engineer to inspect the cabinet. No, that wasn't possible, only for service outages etc.

He re-ran some "tests", and assured me everything was okay. 5 minutes after I hung up the phone, I re-ran the DL speed tests I've run dozens of times in recent weeks, and - by a massive, definitely unconnected coincidence - I'm getting 100mpbs+ again.

They really are a pack of miserable, cheating sh*tters, Virgin Media. If they were honest about it, I'd accept certain failures to deliver on the service I pay for, but they're not.
DasNutNock

Postby stuboy on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:24 am

Agree it's really frustrating having to take time out to go through all the hoop jumping b*llocks just to prove you are not an idiot and it's their service. If I ever get an issue I put a laptop direct into their router 'modem mode' port and leave for work, they can then test away to that and rule out my home network - I always run in modem mode with my own router and APs rather than theirs anyway.

I have constant external tests to my VM IP also so it's good to have this to back you up if you are getting bad latency.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadban ... ality/list

....is a free one, just be sure your VM IP doesn't change (I think they have a 30 day lease time so probably unlikely)
stuboy

Postby Rio on Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:37 pm

Virgin. Excellent broadband speeds.
Awful TV interface.
Customer service that is genuinely the worst I think I’ve ever encountered.

I tried them for a year and couldn’t wait to go back and pay through the nose for Sky. 11 months after leaving I’m still in dispute with VM
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby chigwells finest on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Kludgehammer wrote:For all that I agree that Virgin are a shambles of a company, none of the other companies can compete with their speed (apart from currently-niche players like Hyperoptic).

BT's broadband typically tops out at 50-60Mb, Virgin's top tier is 200 or 300.

we have bt fttp installed , we went on the lowest speed 50mb which costs me £ 29,99
have sky @£ 55 pm with everything
chigwells finest

Postby mumbles87 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:55 am

I had virgin for 2.5 years in total

first year they were outstanding. No issues at all.. great picture great internet speed

out the blue after 12 months (about the time I was upgraded to 300mbps for free as I was on the highest deal) I started to get issues with everything.. the TV would flicker on live sport all time.. the internet would constantly drop out least once a day

started to get worse and worse

to their credit they sent countless eng round.. who all tried different things.. one would correct the others work.. would be fixed for a week then go again

in the end it was decided the only way to fix it was a relay of the cable.. which was buried when the driveway was built.. so they let us out the rest of the contract as they were unable to provide a service and I went to BT.. who I have had no issues with (touch wood) for the past 2 years

others in my road have virgin and are completely fine. sometimes its just down to luck..
mumbles87

Postby Kludgehammer on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:35 pm

With Virgin, the quality of installation etc generally depends on the provenence of the engineers - they inherited some really good ones from one of the pre-merger companies (can't remember which - Telewest, maybe), and hordes of cowboys from Videotron, AT&T etc, along with a mix of good and bad who were employed later.

Get a good one, and you're fine - get a crap one and you're in for months of crap and failures
Kludgehammer

Postby Denzil on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Wembley1966 wrote:They didn't used to allow casting as they only had the rights for mobile hand-held devices - that changed this season so they now support casting via Apple TV and Chromecast.

Well I never, Apple TV as well huh. Game changer. Will give it a go later.
Denzil

Postby Hammersfaniow on Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:21 am

Stuck my cancellation in with Sky yesterday, for £54 a month I get movies, sports, line rental and unlimited broadband, but it goes up to £85 next month when the offer I have ends. Was offered a discount down to £65 pm but said no, no doubt I’ll be getting a call sometime soon.
Hammersfaniow

Postby ohsnap on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:52 pm

my block of flats is relatively new (18 months old) and we just had a company called Hyperoptic install their Fibre into all of our blocks.

They then offered a black Friday deal of £22 a month for a 150MBPS up and down speed - no phone line needed and they came and installed it for free within 2 days of me enquiring about it. Was previously paying £55 a month for 70MBPS with BT which included TV and Sport. They also offer a 1GB line for £40 a month but as I don't work from home I couldn't justify the extra spending on a quicker connection which I will hardly ever make the most of. Great service though I constantly download at 20MB a second now and upload speed to match according to speed tests :scarfer:

I've now got the Sport for free through my phone contract and the TV I just use as a free view box now. I use my old mans sky login on my Xbox for Sky Sport and in return hes gets my Netflix account. hardly a fair deal but works in my favour
ohsnap

Postby Denzil on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Just checked BT website, Apple TV/Chromecast not compatible with EE BT Sport subscribers, meaning I have to continue watching on my phone. Stinker.
Denzil

Postby Wembley1966 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:06 pm

^^^ You can only cast from the Standard Player within the BT Sport app - the Enhanced Player does not support casting.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/offers-and-services/bt-sport-entertainment-packs/how-do-i-cast-the-bt-sport-app-to-my-tv-screen
Wembley1966

Previous

Return to The Snug