Being called Sir

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Being called Sir

Postby Bend it like Repka on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:42 am

As a side question, how good does a restaurant need to be before you want the staff to call you Sir?
Bend it like Repka

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:14 am

I've worked with the public in many of the jobs I've had over the years and you are left with relatively few options other than ' sir ' to be fair , sir .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby FreeWheeling on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 am

Officer cadets at Sandhurst have to call me Sir when I am on site, a strange situation that the upper class Ruperts have no choice in :D
FreeWheeling

Postby vietnammer on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:05 am

FreeWheeling wrote:Officer cadets at Sandhurst have to call me Sir when I am on site, a strange situation that the upper class Ruperts have no choice in :D

Mate of mine is currently some kind of English lecturer there (think it's a higher position than that). Going to ask him if he gets that too.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Etonhammer on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:28 am

simonpaulthomas wrote:Being called Mr is horrible as well - Mr Thomas was my grandfather, and a man worthy of the title... I’m just some oik bumbling through life!

:thup:

I remember the first project I was managing and the guys on site called me Mr.....

I kept looking over my shoulder for my dad
Etonhammer

Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:57 am

I would love to be called 'Sir' just for once, it would make such a refreshing change. Even at my advanced years, people still call me young man. So ****ing patronising, I'm seriously thinking of growing a beard, that should age me overnight
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:15 am

DasNutNock

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:23 am

Been called many things, so anything that is not insulting is fine by me. :thup:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby Nap on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Etonhammer wrote:I remember the first project I was managing and the guys on site called me Mr.....

I kept looking over my shoulder for my dad

:lol: I think I would too, but for my Dad, not yours.
Nap
Hates cheese

Postby warp on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:57 pm

just "being called" is already bad enough as it is...
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby ironsonthebrain on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm

S-H wrote:
Being called mate by a stranger, is one of many irrational dislikes i have.

It's not irrational - i have in the past said to someone who was being overfamiliar 'Do I know you from somewhere? Only I don't normally call someone I've just met mate, OK?'
ironsonthebrain

Postby ironsonthebrain on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:28 pm

No problem with using the term 'Sir' or being called it.
Worked in retail a long, long time ago and always referred to customers as sir or madam.
It's just politeness really. I know some may think it old fashioned but I think it's just respectful. Especially of someone older .
ironsonthebrain

Postby Coops on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Sir is a great traditional way for somebody to a stranger, especially if a person is working in the service industry. It is a sign of respect. I much prefer that to being called 'bruv' as has happened to me when phoning up to enquire about booking a venue.
Coops

Postby Dead Paul on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 pm

I don't like Sir, I don't like being called it and refuse to call people it.. if I get called it I usually tell them "its alright mate, dont call me sir, I've not been knighted by the queen".

Mate I'm fine with, I generally call anyone mate and I'm happy being called it.. the only time I resented being called mate was when I was screw.. I ain't your mate, call me Guv, officer, or **** but don't call me mate...

Call me bruv and you'll get an "I ain't your bruv" from me, same with cuz..

Dude winds me up, we ain't American, stop trying to be all hip and ****ing "cool" ..you're not, you sound like a pillock..

But mate, fella, geez, chief.. they're all good with me, its hard not to call people that when you've grown up in South london.. it's standard procedure..
Dead Paul

Postby sendô on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:54 pm

I'm not sure that it's really a bad thing when people address you as sir in the right context - it's quite formal after all, and as mentioned above in a nice restaurant you'd kind of expect it from the serving staff.

However when Alan Sugar made his Apprentice contestants call him "Sir Alan" in the days before he was "Lord Sugar" it was proper, proper muggy.

As is Alan Sugar of course, who once didn't say thank you after my mate once let him out.
sendô

Postby WCpete on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:00 pm

DasNutNock wrote:I dislike being called “sir” almost as much as I dislike being called “mate”.

This. Except that I don't get called mate here. But if I did I'd be grumpy about it.
WCpete

Postby delbert on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:46 pm

Mate is natural and perfectly acceptable. Calling someone sir only really contains any respect when you choose to do it, being made to do it through work means it has no real value what so ever. In fact the reverse is more commonly the case, especially if you have to salute the useless cretins as well.......
delbert

Postby mixture on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:16 pm

delbert wrote:Mate is natural and perfectly acceptable. Calling someone sir only really contains any respect when you choose to do it, being made to do it through work means it has no real value what so ever. In fact the reverse is more commonly the case, especially if you have to salute the useless cretins as well.......

Mate is acceptable to mates. Not fag ugly munters who work in my local cornershop. I dont need 'sir', I need to know how much my shopping costs and to pay and leave. A simple please and thank you will suffice.

Not some toothless tattoo'd hideous crone grinning and saying "that's £15 mate".
mixture

Postby bubbles1966 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:17 pm

I prefer my formal titles of Your Highness or Your Holiness but I'll make do with sir.
bubbles1966

Location: It's December.....time to forget the serious things...merry Xmas all

Postby Clucking Bell on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:39 am

delbert wrote:Mate is natural and perfectly acceptable. Calling someone sir only really contains any respect when you choose to do it, being made to do it through work means it has no real value what so ever. In fact the reverse is more commonly the case, especially if you have to salute the useless cretins as well.......

When I was useless cretin, my blokes called me 'sir' or 'Mr Bell'. They also saluted me, usually first thing in the morning and again at knocking off time, and quite often stood to attention while doing so. Unless we weren't wearing headdress with cap badges, of course.

Mostly, I suspect, because my sergeant would have nailed them to the nearest tree if they hadn't.

Nowadays, I'm 'Dr Bell' or 'Oi you'. Yanks quite often call me 'sir' but, I generally pull them up and tell them that the correct form of address is 'Your Captivating Magnificence'.

When back on Poverty Island, I don't really mind being called 'mate' but, if you call me 'bruv' then you'd better be my sister.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug