How much to charge for housekeeping??

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

How much to charge for housekeeping??

Postby Monkeybubbles on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:20 pm

I thought there was a thread about this already, but can't find it now.

Anyway, Monkeybubbles Jr Jr is 21 and has been a bit poorly for a few years with an auto-immune problem which resulted in serious intestinal disease. The long term prognosis is not at all good, but he wants to try to live as normally as possible while he can.

He's been working part time (three days a week) as a trainee graphic designer for six months or so, and seems to be thriving there. The ever fragrant Mrs MB feels that he should now be paying something towards his keep from 1st Jan because he doesn't do much (or anything) to help around the house on his days off. He's perfectly able to help with cleaning, just chooses not to. Personally I don't mind that much, I enjoy having him around and I'm happy to pay for whatever he wants, but I can see that it's a good idea for him to learn that he has to stand on his own two feet.

So, I think he only brings home about a grand. According to the calculator on Compare The Market we should be charging him about £650, but that seems a bit harsh to me. Not really sure where to pitch it......any thoughts?
Monkeybubbles

Re: How much to charge for housekeeping??

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Take 60% of his income and stick it in the best savings account you can find. You can give it back to him when he wants to look at getting a place of his own or a car or whatever.
DasNutNock

Postby S-H on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:58 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Take 60% of his income and stick it in the best savings account you can find. You can give it back to him when he wants to look at getting a place of his own or a car or whatever.

I remember the previous thread, and think this was mentioned then, and it is a great idea.
:thup:
S-H

Postby Samba on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:01 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:So, I think he only brings home about a grand. According to the calculator on Compare The Market we should be charging him about £650, but that seems a bit harsh to me. Not really sure where to pitch it......any thoughts?

Very harsh, although of course that's probably 'real world' figures.
I'd say £40 a week, so £160 or £200 pcm.
Not a bad idea from Dan but why not encourage him, himself to get into sorting his savings.
Also, in view of his health (& he may not like it!), possibly get him to save every penny he can, so that one day, if his health got worse, it would be a little easier if he had to stop working, if he had some big savings to fall back on.
Not easy for a 21 year old, the thought of saving every penny!
He could still buy nice things but just prioritise saving rather than frittering £'s away on stuff.
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby warp on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:41 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Take 60% of his income

at those conditions, i would manage to lose my job!
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Xander on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:08 pm

I agree with putting a chunk of what he gives you into savings but equally, he should pay somewhat of a realistic amount. Maybe have a look on Gumtree and see the going rate for a house-share in your area and maybe charge him 80% of the average cost? Otherwise, he's going to have a massive shock when he does finally leave the nest.
Xander

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:15 pm

warp wrote:at those conditions, i would manage to lose my job!

He can always move out if he doesn't like those terms.
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:19 pm

£600 a month still leaves him with £100 a week to spend on travel, clothes, nights out etc. Hardly a fortune, but ought to help him focus on what he wants from life.

Plus, after a couple of years, he ought to have £15k stashed away, which is a nice position to be in.
DasNutNock

Postby pablo jaye on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:32 pm

When our son got his first part time job, we put the housekeeping he paid us into a savings account, which helped him buy a decent laptop when he went to uni. As a consequence, he’s pretty good with money management, as he knows that if he saves he can get s9mething decent without going into debt. He’s now put a whole load of money away for driving lessons.
pablo jaye

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:57 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Take 60% of his income and stick it in the best savings account you can find. You can give it back to him when he wants to look at getting a place of his own or a car or whatever.

Would not go that far but would take 50% , 20% for keep , the other 30% in the stash fund, thats still a ****ing good deal, mt lad was ****ing out north of 800 in a shared flat place

edit - should F.o.r.king really be *****'d
FreeWheeling

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:57 am

If he's earning 250 a week then perhaps 50 per week wouldn't be unreasonable then introduce him to Mr Hoover , Mr Dishwasher and Mr Washing Machine and teach him how to use them .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby warp on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:34 am

warp wrote:at those conditions, i would manage to lose my job!
DasNutNock wrote:He can always move out if he doesn't like those terms.

i didn't say i wouldn't accept them, 60% of **** all is still **** all! :D
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:40 pm

This is a real sore subject with the missus and the step-daughter at the moment. She's just started working (selling charity subscriptions) and against all my expectations of her leaving after a few days, she's really doing well and loves the job. She's earning quite a bit too which really surprised me, considering it's commission based only and the subject came up of housekeeping. £50 a week was suggested to which all hell broke loose as she thought "we were ripping her off". I gave her some leeway as she's never lived independently before, but did explain this was really cheap. She wasn't having any of it and it all kicked off with the missus and her.

The idea of putting some away in a savings account is a good idea as it goes, and not one I'd thought of. Might suggest that and see what happens. If she don't like it, she's out the door :lol:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby sendô on Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Take £200 a month off of him, put it in a savings account that will go towards a deposit on a mortgage should he so want one in the future.
sendô

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:37 pm

I used to give just over 25% of my wages when I first started work back before anyone ever wondered whether they knew it was Christmas.

The idea that you bung a load of it away for a future deposit, wedding gift, first car etc is a good 'un. they'll only piss it up the wall on booze and Doris otherwise.
bubbles1966

Location: Vincent van Gogh, cut his ear off, when they asked him why he said, "what?"

Postby the pink palermo on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:25 am

Take a 25% of theirs and offer matching amounts , pop it in a savings account meaning they will have £6k saved in one year.

Four years down the line they will have a deposit for somewhere North of Northampton, and have full independence.

Good luck.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks for your help gents.

A deal has been struck. We're asking him for £50/week, 30 of which is going into a savings account and the rest should just about cover the cost of the loo roll he uses, poor sod.

Also, the ever fragrant Mrs Monkeybubbles has assigned points to various household chores, and if he doesn't meet a weekly points target we'll ask for another £50. The theory seems sound, but I give it two months before everything falls apart.

Cheers!
Monkeybubbles

Postby Briggsy on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:22 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:I thought there was a thread about this already, but can't find it now.

Anyway, Monkeybubbles Jr Jr is 21 and has been a bit poorly for a few years with an auto-immune problem which resulted in serious intestinal disease. The long term prognosis is not at all good, but he wants to try to live as normally as possible while he can.

As someone who suffers from long term intestinal issues, my advice would be, if you are going to charge for housekeeping, put it all in a savings account for him. He'll need the money at some stage when he's too sick to work.

As for the doing the house work, let the kid rest on his days off, he needs it as intestinal diseases can be pretty awful.

Let him enjoy some of his money as well, it sounds like he's been through a lot.

I'm not trying to be preachy or tell you how to do things, just my advice based on my experience :thup:
Briggsy

Postby stuboy on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:45 pm

Nice one MB, seems sensible.

I remember when I first started earning my old man insisting I started paying my way I think it was 3rd of what I took home. I thought it was a bit steep until I moved out in my early twentiesn and they gave me a lump sum to help me on my way where they had saved some of it as they knew I'd just piss it up the wall.

My youngest brother on the other hand didn't pay rent at all, and still lived at home until he was 30. He deservedly got eff all when he left apart from a size 9 boot print on his back from my old man.
stuboy

Postby Monkeybubbles on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:48 am

Briggsy wrote:
As someone who suffers from long term intestinal issues, my advice would be, if you are going to charge for housekeeping, put it all in a savings account for him. He'll need the money at some stage when he's too sick to work.

As for the doing the house work, let the kid rest on his days off, he needs it as intestinal diseases can be pretty awful.

Let him enjoy some of his money as well, it sounds like he's been through a lot.

I'm not trying to be preachy or tell you how to do things, just my advice based on my experience

Thanks mate, not interpreted as preachy at all :thup:

Regarding the housework thing, it's more about giving him something to do that also kind of helps him feel part of the family. His default is to sit in his room in his pyjamas on the PlayStation all day, and we've found that leads to him getting quite depressed and detached. We're hoping that doing some very light chores will sort of break the cycle and give him a sense of purpose, or something.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. More power to you.
Monkeybubbles

Next

Return to The Snug