Stopping the Cigs - Vaping

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Stopping the Cigs - Vaping

Postby -DL- on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:40 pm

In light of recent events - I've got to give up smoking. Spoke to a chap from non-smoking clinic today and he said vaping is the way to go.

Now, I know vaping makes you look like a mega-helmet, but needs must.

So I want some advice please snuggers. there's bound to be people here that know about how to start.

I smoke around 15 roll ups a day - so have no idea how much juice I'm going to need, what type of vape to get. basically, I don't know where to start!

I don't want to spend mega-bucks on a super-duper vape either.

So over to you :thup:
-DL-
Match thread guru

Re: Stopping the Cigs - Vaping

Postby Hammers Dad on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:51 pm

I started this 2 months ago and it has been a spectacular success.
I use a Blu vape with 0.8mg liquid which is enough for me (I was about 10-15 rollies a day as well). The vape cost £15 from Tesco with the liquid around £4 a pop. Each bottle lasted 2-3 weeks.
I am gradually moving away from the vape as well so should be completely free within a month or so if all goes well.
Hammers Dad

Postby Noble Man on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:50 pm

What Hammers Dad said... i'm on the Blu from Tesco as well and does me.

I was only a 6-7 Marlboro light a day and the 0.8 does me well. Just be mindful though that I tend to use the vape a fair bit more than the cigs.

Still much better though and the breathing is so much better since off the cigs.

Go for it and good luck
Noble Man

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:03 pm

Although I am not a heavy smoker (I tend to start puffing at the 3rd pint) I have been in the past. I found that was its about breaking the habit and stopping things associated with smoking. For example, without fail I would have a fag walking from Liverpool St to work, then one at 10.30 etc. I used a bit of willpower and "oh I will have one later" to break the pattern.

It may be too much to go cold turkey and as you say needs must, so maybe swap to the vape but break the association. They say replacement therapy is quite successful e.g. when you usually have a fag, have an orange. You occupy your hands and your mouth.
RichieRiv

Postby Burningaham on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:11 pm

I had 3 sessions of hypnotherapy in September, and haven’t had a smoke since, no vaping, no nothing.
I didn’t want to replace it with something else. Been smoking since I was about 11 and I’m 50 now.

Not even my cancer scrapes in the past gave me the incentive to give it up.
Had the additional issue of weed that I’ve been smoking every day for 30 odd years.

To be honest I feel absolutely ****ing awful. Not slept more than a couple of hours at a time for weeks. I’m sure i will feel better at some point, but not yet!
Burningaham

Postby Joyeux Marteau on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:21 pm

My mum and dad quit smoking using e-cigarettes after about 50 years (plus years of nagging from me). They do work, not sure what they use though.

Best of luck to you DL!
Joyeux Marteau

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:23 pm

Top bombing Burn. Smoking’s a b*stard, and it’s the one addiction I’ve never really got hold of. I’m off them again now, and back on the vape in the evening. TBH it’s the summer that does it for me, almost every time. When I’m out in the sun, with a beer or whatever, that’s when I want snouts the most.

I’m desperate to do it this time because I’m pretty sure I’m running out of chances. My kids don’t deserve to have me cark it just because I can’t stop smoking. I found it easier to quit smoking weed than quit the snouts. Tempted to give hypnotherapy a crack
DasNutNock

Postby AnthraxDave on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:24 pm

I quit smoking just over 2.5 years ago, using Vaping as a substitute. It was so easy for me, and I was smoking 30-40 roll ups a day for well over 15 years.

I would suggest not getting into "Sub Ohm" kits, which are the ones which produce the massive clouds. The reason being that you inhale more like a Cigar than a Cigarette. For the latter, you want a "Mouth To Lung" kit, something with a coil resistance of over 1.0oHm.

In all honesty, you could do a lot worse than the E-Leaf Pico kit
(https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEAF-White-Is ... B01ERPNUGY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
This was the first kit I bought, and I still have it today. You'll get the tank pictured with this kit, but you can test different tanks (and their various coils) as you wish.

Good luck :thup:
AnthraxDave

Postby Hammers Dad on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 pm

RichieRiv wrote:Although I am not a heavy smoker (I tend to start puffing at the 3rd pint) I have been in the past. I found that was its about breaking the habit and stopping things associated with smoking. For example, without fail I would have a fag walking from Liverpool St to work, then one at 10.30 etc. I used a bit of willpower and "oh I will have one later" to break the pattern.

It may be too much to go cold turkey and as you say needs must, so maybe swap to the vape but break the association. They say replacement therapy is quite successful e.g. when you usually have a fag, have an orange. You occupy your hands and your mouth.

This too.
Always had set times for a ciggie at work and managed to alter that/cut out times. Used to have one at 9:00, 10:30, lunchtime, 14:30, walking to the station after work and between station and home.
Before Christmas (been off work on hols for a couple of weeks) I was missing the 9:00 , lunch time and after work vapes and trying to go at different times for the morning and afternoons. It does make a big difference as instead of having half a dozen fags between leaving home in the morning and getting back in the evening, I was vaping twice.

Give vaping a go. It's cheap to do, a lot cheaper than ciggies, and does make you feel better.
Plus I have not spent £400 on baccie in the last few months, which is handy as I have just paid out to have my clutch replaced!
Hammers Dad

Postby mushy on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:46 pm

I gave up on May bank holiday in 2017 by buying one of those vape things.
To be honest I couldn't stand the thing, didn't like the taste and didn't seem to be much of that familiar nicotine kick you get with fags.
This meant that I gave up with the vape thing as well after three weeks, but it served its purpose as it broke a lot of the cigarette triggers I had, I haven't had a smoke since.
I do get the odd small wanting for a fag, as Dan says, Summer evenings with a beer put an image in my head of relaxing in a chair having a nice cool drag.
I was lucky that the vape thing worked in an unexpected way.
The smell of a joint gets me going as well, most notably as I leave a West Ham home game
mushy

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:19 pm

I've never smoked , I've been anti-smoking since I was a small child , both my parents smoked as does my sister but I am an addict , I have an addictive personality , so I know all about giving up a substance you grow to rely on - well done to all of you who managed to give up smoking and the very best to DL in giving up soon .
If you're smoking 15 per day , what about smoking 9 cigarettes for one week , 7 cigarettes the next then try to get it down to maybe 3 a week then try to quit ? Only a suggestion .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Burningaham on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:38 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I've never smoked , I've been anti-smoking since I was a small child , both my parents smoked as does my sister but I am an addict , I have an addictive personality , so I know all about giving up a substance you grow to rely on - well done to all of you who managed to give up smoking and the very best to DL in giving up soon .
If you're smoking 15 per day , what about smoking 9 cigarettes for one week , 7 cigarettes the next then try to get it down to maybe 3 a week then try to quit ? Only a suggestion .

Good advice. My therapist started by getting me to smoke in a different ‘way’ first. Holding the fag with the other hand, smoking in different places, different brand etc - all to get me used to understanding it was ok to do something different, to break the habit
Burningaham

Postby Samba on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:19 am

RichieRiv wrote:They say replacement therapy is quite successful e.g. when you usually have a fag, have an orange. You occupy your hands and your mouth.

Yeah, but now I'm on 15 oranges a day..

Great advice btw, Richie :thup:
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby Danny's Dyer Acting on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:27 am

Only advice I can give is go for it. I know a lot of people that were heavy smokers who haven't touched a cigarette from the second they picked up a vape pen. I remember catching my boss in the office toilets puffing out strawberry flavoured smoke a couple of years back.

I've not been a smoker since the smoking ban came in. As soon as I had to brave the outdoor smoking areas of northern night clubs the habit wasn't quite as tempting!!
Danny's Dyer Acting

Postby Georgee Paris on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:11 am

Every time you resist the urge to smoke the urge becomes less strong and over time frequent. But never goes totally - just never give up giving up if that’s the decision you’ve made.
Georgee Paris

Postby Burnley Hammer on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:33 pm

Vaping worked perfectly for me. Haven't touched a cigarette for about 4 years.

Problem is...

1. I'm not convinced about the safety of vaping. I often feel wheezier with the ecig than I did smoking.

2. I'm totally addicted to vaping, and giving it up will be just as hard as giving up cigarettes.

The thought of cigarettes disgust me now. I would never go back. Take my ecig away for a few days and I would crave my ecig, not cigarettes. I'm 100% confident on that.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:39 pm

House mate (it was hers actually - I had a room there) smoked for years and years..

vapes now....seems to me she vapes more than she ever smoked......

I keep reading reports on it just to keep me informed but not sure whether it's better or not..

presumably not having all that smoke and chemicals in your lungs is good for you but I have to wonder if they have done all the research that they could do with something so relatively new ?

is it as "safe" as it is purported...???
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Burnley Hammer on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:56 pm

If I have vaped too much throughout the evening, I will lie in bed wheezing. Goes away after a while of not vaping. I would like to give it up.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:48 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:House mate (it was hers actually - I had a room there) smoked for years and years..

vapes now....seems to me she vapes more than she ever smoked......

I keep reading reports on it just to keep me informed but not sure whether it's better or not..

presumably not having all that smoke and chemicals in your lungs is good for you but I have to wonder if they have done all the research that they could do with something so relatively new ?

is it as "safe" as it is purported...???

Probably not safe at all, but let’s face it - it’s water, nicotine, sugar and some flavours, and there’s no combustion involved, so it’s in all likelihood less damaging.
DasNutNock

Next

Return to The Snug