Disappointments in life..

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Disappointments in life..

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:17 am

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:

Shania is not impressed.

Nope - but you should have heard what she said about me . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby sendô on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:16 am

Being an adult isn't all it's cracked up to be, is it?
sendô

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:32 am

sendô wrote:Being an adult isn't all it's cracked up to be, is it?

Whenever our 32 year old daughter comes round to visit she reverts to being a child and lounges about on the settee in her pyjamas all day - I'm more than happy for her to do so as her job is quite stressful [ Mental Health Nurse ] and she does help out with the hoovering and some of the washing up - whenever I visited my parents I'd be doing all the shopping , paying for all the shopping and then cooking all the dinners ! :)

Wish I could be a child once again , even if it's for a couple of hours , I guess there'll be plenty of time for all that when I'm stuck in a home full on gaga .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:25 am

Being a West Ham supporter.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:28 am

knowing that I'll be working until I drop...
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby vietnammer on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:34 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Being a West Ham supporter.

This could be influenced by the period you were born in. As I became aware of football, we were just entering our mid-60's 'Golden age' (if i may) so yes, plenty of frustrating years followed. Born post-1980 I wonder if you'd expect (rather than hope for) all that much anyway.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby mushy on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:36 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Wish I'd pushed myself harder and not been so lazy , wish I'd had some sort of ambition , any .

Ho hum .

Why?
I would say that lack of ambition isnt necessarily a bad thing. I would also say that ambition itself can be interpreted in a number of different ways.
They dont all have to relate to work. Home life, health and happiness are not a bad starting point.
mushy

Postby WCpete on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 pm

People in general are my biggest disappointment. As aware as this species is, it understands but still ignores the precept "don't sh*t where you eat".
WCpete

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:45 pm

I'm pretty disappointed in myself.

Up until perhaps a year ago if there were things I needed to do, work or at home, I'd work my balls off and get it done.

Now I'm barely getting anything done. I've watched 7 series of the office in about 2 weeks.
Mega Ron

Postby Samba on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 am

Mega Ron wrote:I'm pretty disappointed in myself.
Up until perhaps a year ago if there were things I needed to do, work or at home, I'd work my balls off and get it done.
Now I'm barely getting anything done. I've watched 7 series of the office in about 2 weeks.

Did it coincide with anything especially happening a year ago, Ron?
Sounds like you're feeling quite low in motivation & maybe trying to distract yourself.
That's not a crime in itself, of course but the obvious pointer would be towards maybe a bit of depression, or feeling a bit stressed, at the least.
Try not to be too hard on yourself over it, you're only human.
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby fjthegrey on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:27 am

It's cos the fantasy season ended.
fjthegrey

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:14 am

Mega Ron wrote:I'm pretty disappointed in myself.

I'm going back a few years now , 1992 in fact - we'd been on Skye 5 years , I was working on the Kyleakin - Kyle Ferry and had transformed a huge piece of ground into a vegetable garden - I was growing all sorts of stuff , everything that the Skye climate would allow - I knew my Mum wasn't well , I knew she'd had to go into hospital but every time I rang my Dad or my Sister would tell me ' Oh , she's ok ,no need for you to worry ' etc , then on Christmas Day she took a turn for the worse but the ferry didn't run Christmas Day so I had to wait until Boxing Day to travel down , took me 13 hours and when I got to Bangor I took a taxi to the hospital to say ' Hello ' to my Mum before travelling on to my Dad - she'd passed away that same day .

Nothing was ever quite the same for me after that - I neglected the garden I'd tended until eventually it grassed over , I drank too much - you know the sort of thing ...

Anyway , that was a long time ago now , it was just an example of how life can affect you and I can empathise with the way you're feeling .

First thing you have to do , Ron is identify the reasons why you've lost your sparkle - sounds like you're suffering from depression on some level or other - you'll know yourself better than anyone so you'll know if it's depression or just feeling lazy .
You needn't have suffered personal loss for depression to set in , it can happen to anyone at any time - Ron , mate you need to get yourself down to your Doctor , have a chat about how you're feeling - you can PM me or anyone you're close to on here - get this burden off your chest - believe me , a problem shared is a problem halved but if it's depression then you need help from your Doc - get yourself there TODAY [ or whenever they can fit you in ] , but whatever you do you DON'T have to suffer alone .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby S-H on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:18 am

Mega Ron wrote:
I've watched 7 series of the office in about 2 weeks.

To be fair buddy, I was pretty cut up when Michael left too.

:cry:
S-H

Postby Smonnie on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 am

I'm 25 on Sunday, and I've realised very recently that I will always be affected by my school days, and the fact that I left Sixth Form with no friends.

Whilst I'd always had a hard time from quite a few people at school, up until I was around 15 or 16, I was part of a good friendship group of about six of us, plus one or two in our orbit. From that time onwards, things went downhill - two of my friends fell out, made up and decided it was me that was the problem (still can't quite work out why), they split up our form and four of them were in one group, and I was in the other group with the least outgoing of our six.

Without going into too much detail about things that happened eight years ago, what I learnt from these experiences was that my expectations of people were too high - people wouldn't show me the same love and loyalty that I showed them, no matter how good I was to them.

I've realised that it's been incredibly scarring to know that I have no old mates from school, and I think it's impacted my ability to make proper mates to this day.

I work in a very social job and I'm very successful - and my job involves dealing with people on a daily basis - so it hasn't harmed me from that perspective.

But I guess the long and short is that in my life, a bit like someone from a couple of posts before, I've been very, very disappointed by people in general.

Reading that back, what a sob story that sounds! :lol:
Smonnie

Postby S-H on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:08 am

Smonnie, the older you get, the more you'll realize it's the quality of friends you have, rather than the quantity that matters.
S-H

Postby EastBrisHammer on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:26 am

Just want to echo S-H's sentiments. I have cut out a lot of crap friends over the last ten years and I'm a lot happier for it. Stick with the good friends, and sometimes, just sometimes, people will surprise you.
EastBrisHammer

Postby Smonnie on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 am

Thanks both.

Agreed it is quality rather than quantity - but when you are an 18 year old lad and that quantity is effectively zero, it's a pretty miserable place.

Whilst I've a couple of decent mates now, it's sad that I'll always look back on school days negatively.
Smonnie

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:57 am

Smonnie wrote:I'm 25 on Sunday, and I've realised very recently that I will always be affected by my school days, and the fact that I left Sixth Form with no friends.

I've realised that it's been incredibly scarring to know that I have no old mates from school, and I think it's impacted my ability to make proper mates to this day.

But I guess the long and short is that in my life, a bit like someone from a couple of posts before, I've been very, very disappointed by people in general.

Reading that back, what a sob story that sounds! :lol:

Smonnie -

You sound like a good kid - first things first , those guys back at School , the ones you thought were your friends , the ones who thought you were the problem , they weren't your friends . If there was a problem then a real mate would have spoken to you about it , would have explained to you what was happening what was going wrong - without knowing the full facts you are better off without them . Forget them , put them in a little box , put the box in a room and lock the door .

The thing about school is it comes to an end and friends will drift away , some will go to Uni , some will find work , others won't . What I'm trying to say is even if you'd had 20 great friends at school , by now you'd have all gone your separate ways .
We make new friends all the time , some will be casual others you'll get closer to .

You're 25 - you've got the Whole World ahead of you .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby ageing hammer on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:14 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This :thup:
ageing hammer

Postby EastBrisHammer on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:14 am

Also remember Smonnie, boys are quite dickish around that age. When I went to FE College when I was 16 I was on the same course as a friend from school. We met this other lad on the course and my school friend and him got on well and they tried to exclude me. So I started hanging around with other people on the course and made some great mates. My school friend got jealous and tried to undermine me in the new group I was hanging around with and all that did was make them think he was a complete dick. In the end he and the other lad got pretty much ostracized from the main course group.

And just to add, school was disappointing for me as well as my parents kept moving and I had to change school every 2 years, which made secondary school very difficult. Don't dwell on it, just appreciate the friends you have now.
EastBrisHammer

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug