Your Coping Mechanisms For Stress .

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Your Coping Mechanisms For Stress .

Postby Bend it like Repka on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:36 pm

fjthegrey wrote:I don't get stressed.

I genuinely don't believe anything I do is important enough to be that bothered about. Try your best, it's usually good enough. If it isn't, why worry?

Stress is a funny thing. Apart from being different things to different people, it is not as simple as what you say. I have has a stress related condition since my mid 20s' and it comes and goes for various reasons some I can identify and some I can't.

The thing is I'm a laid back person and not a worrier. Yet clearly things can sit at an almost subconscious level and affect me. Of course in reality there are certain events that you cannot avoid that cause stress, and then it can be chance as to whether your internal chip can deal with it or not.
Bend it like Repka

Postby ageing hammer on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:05 pm

On a personal level I get stressed far too easily. I am a worrier, I worry about my worrying ffs :oops:

I practise a bit of mindfulness each day for about a year now which I learned form a counsellor to try to relax me and curb my short temper. I have to say it has worked very well and I don't lose my temper much nowadays and I am more relaxed and do not get stressed anything like before.

It takes only 10 minutes in a quiet place and I usually only need to do it once a day. If it was a very stressful day I would just take another 10 minutes and can carry on again very well afterwards.

I don't worry like before either so everything has improved.

I can highly recommend mindfulness :)
ageing hammer

Postby davids cross on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:33 pm

I've always used deep relaxation tapes.

From way back in the 80s, I used to have a cassette tape of deep relaxation instructions.

After practice and much use. Your body and mind forget all the stress and worry you carry.............and you just end up in any wonderful place you create for yourself.

I listen to this a lot at the moment......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyy0ra2WcQQ

Thinking of beaches and sand is something that relaxes me ...as does .....

Countryside and water............this is beautiful too, and I listen to the sounds of nature. And watch the video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFTSSKCzWA
davids cross

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:04 pm

thinking about Jennifer Anniston naked used to work wonders, but realising that it would never be made things worse.

:D

as my dear old dad once told me:

Cheers up son, things could get worse.

so I did and you know what ? he was right.

things got a f**king sight worse.............

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Burnley Hammer on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:23 pm

I have a similar stance to fjthegrey on stress. I occasionally need to get away from the noise of everyday life and clear my head - I do this by going on a long walk in the hills or mountains.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby JerseyHammer on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:58 pm

The only things that'd stress me out to the point that it'd affect me, would be illness / disease or money issues. I can't seem to take things seriously enough - very often drifting into the realisation of how small and insignificant I / we are.

We are all living in a very safe time (relatively speaking, imagine being born 500 years ago), we aren't being shipped off to war unlike both my Grandfathers, there aren't any raging bouts of disease affecting us.

Having said all that, sport is certainly a coping mechanism. In fact, I gave up golf 2-3 years ago because it was winding me up more than it was calming me down.
JerseyHammer

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Long country walks. Stopping to look at flowers, butterflies, what's growing in the hedges, trying to work out what animal made those tracks, etc, etc, etc. I lose myself in it. Pub lunch or a stop in a nice tea room along the way of course. It might well sound dull to you but it works for me and I love it.

Not so much a coping mechanism for stress any more, touch wood, as I don't have the volume of stress in my life that I did periodically for decades but a hobby and a future stress reliever if necessary.

(Have thought about opening up a walking thread on here before - might get around to doing it one day).
DaveWHU1964

Postby pablo jaye on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:24 pm

Having kids helped give me perspective on life and helped stressful times at work.

Experience in life (i.e. age) has helped me cope with stress as I know how to deal better with certain situations.

Going out for a run helps massively too - I can either think of everything, one thing or nothing and is perhaps my most effective method of coping with stress.
pablo jaye

Postby ageing hammer on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:40 pm

Just like to say TOMOS this is a great thread well done :thup:
ageing hammer

Postby sendô on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:46 pm

fjthegrey wrote:I don't get stressed.

I genuinely don't believe anything I do is important enough to be that bothered about. Try your best, it's usually good enough. If it isn't, why worry?

Mate, I don't know how you've managed to get your life to a point where you can simply not worry about anything.

I have a plethora of things that are important enough to worry about.
sendô

Postby Rio on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Used to be going for a walk along the river or running.

Now as I can’t do either I’ve fallen into the comfort eating or a few pints habit
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby Joyeux Marteau on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:10 pm

The bus journey and walk home from work.

Mostly my two cats though, best stress relievers ever.

I'd always recommend pets as stress relief.
Joyeux Marteau

Postby fjthegrey on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:49 pm

sendô wrote:Mate, I don't know how you've managed to get your life to a point where you can simply not worry about anything.

I have a plethora of things that are important enough to worry about.

I'm sure my life resembles most people's to a fairly close degree. I just don't seem to feel it. I feel like my control over things is minimal anyway, not a massive believer in the notion of free will either which I suspect relinquishes a large amount of my concern.

It's not like I breeze through life in a cavalier fashion. And I get miserable and depressed same as most people. I just don't seem to feel stressed. If everything goes wrong and you fail, well, who gives a **** really? Nobody else will care much about it so why should I? I'm a boring, completely average man the world will have forgotten about fairly soon after I'm dead. No need for any stress when you've reconciled that reality.
fjthegrey

Postby brownout on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:54 pm

Walking, preferably somewhere remote but that I can get to by train and don't have to drive to. Most often the Essex coast (I'm going there tomorrow) and when I can get to Devon, Dartmoor.

Yesterday it was Brora on the north east coast of Scotland. Had to go to Glasgow for work but rather than rush back I took a train to Inverness, stayed a night here, then train 2 1/2 hours to Brora. Brilliant walk, train back, then sleeper to London. Back at work this morning. So what could have been a quick and stressful business day by air became a relaxing two day trip to a remote stretch of Scottish coastline.
brownout

Postby Samba on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:01 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:As soon as I pressed the ' send ' button I realised that this post / thread could be considered a bit insensitive considering what our colleague , DL is currently going through , believe me I didn't mean to cause any offence .

Not at all, TOMoS.
In fact it seemed very timely. I'm sure we all, including DL, can do with all the stress relief that we can get. :thup:
Good news for you all about Jennie. Out of interest, did they say what it had been?
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby Samba on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:03 pm

brownout wrote:Walking, preferably somewhere remote but that I can get to by train and don't have to drive to. Most often the Essex coast (I'm going there tomorrow) and when I can get to Devon, Dartmoor.

Yesterday it was Brora on the north east coast of Scotland. Had to go to Glasgow for work but rather than rush back I took a train to Inverness, stayed a night here, then train 2 1/2 hours to Brora. Brilliant walk, train back, then sleeper to London. Back at work this morning. So what could have been a quick and stressful business day by air became a relaxing two day trip to a remote stretch of Scottish coastline.

Would have never considered, doing that.
What a great idea! :thup:
Samba

Postby brownout on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 pm

I’ve been all over Scotland with short extensions of business trips. Last summer did Glasgow in morning for meeting, train to Pitlochry, climbed a mountain then got sleeper back to London just before 11pm. Amazing what you can do in one day with all that daylight.
brownout

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:31 am

move somewhere where the people don't seem to stress out....

look around and although I am not rich by any standards or even the standards of the ex pats here (by quite aways) the local people in general don't have much, a lot like when we were kids and a pillow case at Christmas with tangerines, Brasil nuts and them, a few toys etc was brilliant....

the more we have the more we want. learn to decide the difference between "want" and "need."

I went to some place a few years ago to give out stuff that ex pats donated (too long of a story to go into much depth) and these kids have not much of anything. the parents cooked us "royal guests" Cuy (guinea pig) which is a delicacy here and very expensive by their standards. they didn't eat it just offered it to us. (obviously being a veggie I declined politely because I didn't want to offend) and when we gave the kids their gifts the thing they loved most of all ....... those bloody little bubble things that we had as kids. where you blow bubbles through a little plastic eye...........the looks on their faces...

I often wonder though what stresses these folks ??

who knows.........

it has helped me though...the only thing that pisses me off is ex-pats shouting thinking that the locals will understand them when they do..oh and treat them as less than them............I think ex pats everywhere in the "3rd world countries" do it all the time...and they want to change where we live to belike the place that they just couldn't wait to get out of..

whoa !!!!! now I am getting stressed !!!!!!!!!

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Samba on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:45 am

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:I often wonder though what stresses these folks ??
who knows.........

It seems perhaps that stress is all relative.
Especially when you have to spend too much time with them, like at Christmas, Easter, holidays, etc... :wink:
Samba

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug