Your Coping Mechanisms For Stress .

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Your Coping Mechanisms For Stress .

Postby Burnley Hammer on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 am

DaveWHU1964 wrote:Long country walks. Stopping to look at flowers, butterflies, what's growing in the hedges, trying to work out what animal made those tracks, etc, etc, etc. I lose myself in it. Pub lunch or a stop in a nice tea room along the way of course. It might well sound dull to you but it works for me and I love it.

Not so much a coping mechanism for stress any more, touch wood, as I don't have the volume of stress in my life that I did periodically for decades but a hobby and a future stress reliever if necessary.

(Have thought about opening up a walking thread on here before - might get around to doing it one day).

A walking thread would be a great idea!

It is a great stress reliever. For me, walking is as much about having some headspace as it is about exercise or exploration. It's great to spend the day somewhere really remote, away from people and the noise pollution of everyday life. I usually build up flexi at work and then take a flexi day every couple of weeks. Much better to walk midweek, far less people. I did 22 miles in the Dark Peak on Wednesday, starting on Derwent Edge. It's normally a popular area but I passed only 3 people over the whole 22 miles in some really remote country. I'm also one of those people whose brain never stops thinking about stuff, and looks distracted whenever someone talking to me as I struggle to switch off and listen. Walking is the only time I can actually clear my head and not think. Just walk. I'd honestly be lost without those days... it gives my brain a proper reset, and also means I always have something to look forward to in the near future.

And like brownout suggested earlier, I don't let distance become an excuse for not doing it. I don't mind driving though as I always set off early enough to avoid the stressful traffic. In the summer, I'll wake at 4, set off at 5 and be in snowdonia by half 8. I'll spend the whole day up mountains then drive back in the late evening, usually getting home at 9 or 10. Straight to bed then work the next day. A lot think I'm crazy for doing that but it's absolutely worth it.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Patito on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:55 am

Burnley Hammer wrote: I did 22 miles in the Dark Peak on Wednesday, starting on Derwent Edge. It's normally a popular area but I passed only 3 people over the whole 22 miles in some really remote country.

A truly stunning part of the world :thup:
Patito

Postby Samba on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Burnley Hammer wrote:A walking thread would be a great idea!
It is a great stress reliever. For me, walking is as much about having some headspace as it is about exercise or exploration. It's great to spend the day somewhere really remote, away from people and the noise pollution of everyday life.

You are so lucky, Burnley.
'Beckton Alps' are really not as nice..
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby JerseyHammer on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Samba wrote:'Beckton Alps' are really not as nice..

Totally off topic but f************ing hell I'd forgotten all about that place - my Grandparents lived on Lonsdale road and we used to go there all the time - one of the ski instructors was missing the ends of his fingers.

Then it was off to the driving range across the road.

Bloody hell Samba that's seriously taken me back to being 8 years old!
JerseyHammer

Postby SoulCircus on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:15 pm

Another walking advocate here, only really been doing it for the last couple of years and as has been said, brilliant to clear the head and get the blood flowing.
I use the ifootpath app and have done some great walks in Sussex using it but if a walking thread was set up I could do with some suggestions for walks further afield!
SoulCircus

Location: Drunk and exhausted. Critically acclaimed and respected.

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:16 pm

Repairing things. I'm rarely more at peace than when I'm fixing something.
DasNutNock

Postby smuts on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:04 am

15 minutes guitar works for me.
smuts

Postby S-H on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:12 am

They were talking about Bob Ross - The Joy of Painting, on Radio 5 earlier, and how relaxing it was.

I used to watch it (mostly after a joint) he seemed like such a nice guy. Anyway they were discussing how people watch it now, to help themselves relax, and if they felt stressed or couldn't sleep.

Think it's on Netflix.
S-H

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:28 am

During our time here in Morayshire we've discovered quite a few new places to go walking - neither of us are up to the long walks of the past [ new knee and arthritic spine ] but we still try to get out as much as we can - my current favourite is a lovely little place called ' Roseisle ' - a Scots Pine forest that leads to a beautiful beach - there are several paths in the forest going in every direction - the beach was lined with WW2 defences , tank traps , pill boxes etc , they've all fallen onto the beach due to erosion but they just add to the beauty of the place , it really is quite enchanting - then there's Speybay - we were lucky enough to see dolphins jumping there back in October , we were later told we were lucky to see them as they didn't appear there at that time of year [ there's an Official Dolphin Watch Station there ] . I guess dolphins got to swim somewhere , they don't fly to warmer climes do they ? :)
The beach at Lossiemouth is also a great place for walks , the waves are as big as anywhere in Devon and Cornwall , some great surfing to be had there .

Morayshire has been quite an eye opener for beautiful places , I highly recommend this part of Scotland to anyone wishing to visit .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby SoulCircus on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:34 pm

S-H wrote:They were talking about Bob Ross - The Joy of Painting, on Radio 5 earlier, and how relaxing it was.

The Godfather of ASMR. Has a ton of YouTube videos as well.
SoulCircus

Location: Drunk and exhausted. Critically acclaimed and respected.

Previous

Return to The Snug