Gout

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Gout

Postby Clacton-ammer on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:31 am

Feel for you ageing, I had shingles on my face/head once, painful as a mother ****er, closest I have ever come to tears with an illness/accident, and I once broke my ankle on the football field!!!!

Gout, never had it, good luck to you both.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby prince_huggy on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 am

I get gout. Allopurinol once a day stops it happening, quack will only subscribe if you get it regularly.

It's hereditary, so if you don't do anything wrong to get it, you'll just get it. This was my case.

Should this be here though? A thread to discuss physical health issues
prince_huggy

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:42 pm

prince_huggy wrote:I get gout. Allopurinol once a day stops it happening, quack will only subscribe if you get it regularly.

It's hereditary, so if you don't do anything wrong to get it, you'll just get it. This was my case.

Should this be here though? A thread to discuss physical health issues

I started getting gout in my mid-30s - over the years it got worse and worse - I've been bedridden twice due to gout in my every joint , worst experience of my life and I contracted sepsis which came very close to taking my life .
I take 100mg allopurinol in the morning anf then again in the afternoon [ if I remember ] - I haven't had a serious attack for 5 years now - I stopped drinking 10 years ago so this may have helped but if I don't take allopurinol then it will come back .
Wouldn't wish gout on anyone [ well , I could think of a couple of people ] - Welsh Rugby Superstar , Gareth Edwards has been campaigning for years for gout to be recognised as a serious debilitating medical condition
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Also , going back to Cherries - looking back , I have been a lover of cherries since childhood , I could never just a eat a few I always had to finish the whole bag or punnet , still do - perhaps the body knows something about keeping itself well ?
The Old Man of Storr

Postby prince_huggy on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:57 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote: a serious debilitating medical condition

That it is!

I have a friend who gets in it all of her joints. Can't imagine what that's like. I used to get it in my big toe and that used to cain me.
prince_huggy

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 pm

prince_huggy wrote:That it is!

I have a friend who gets in it all of her joints. Can't imagine what that's like. I used to get it in my big toe and that used to cain me.

It started off in my big toe like many other people - the thing with me is I refused to take allopurinol due to its stated side effects [ loss of hair , liver cancer ] - the blurb doesn't include those 2 any more ! - So I would take diclofenac every now and again - I'm almost certain gout / rheumatoid arthritis is the cause of my spinal degeneration , it's possible had I taken allopurinol from the off I wouldn't be in this state today .
After the sepsis in 2012/2013 a lot of my medication was stopped - I'm convinced that taking 3 diclofenacs a day contributed to my septic shock , I'm convinced it affected my sole kidney that it ceased to work - I was in a coma , on a life support machine and a dialysis machine for over 3 weeks - had I taken allopurinol instead of diclofenac [ now banned ! ] I may well have avoided sepsis .

I was bed ridden twice due to gout in my ankles , feet , knees , hips , wrists and elbows - I couldn't even turn around in bed - if you think having it in your big toe is bad imagine it in all of those jointa simultaneously .

Worst experience of my entire life .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby prince_huggy on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:48 pm

I actually feel sick thinking of that sort of pain. My heart goes out to you TOMOS
prince_huggy

Postby Samba on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:10 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:It started off in my big toe like many other people - the thing with me is I refused to take allopurinol due to its stated side effects [ loss of hair , liver cancer ] - the blurb doesn't include those 2 any more ! - So I would take diclofenac every now and again - I'm almost certain gout / rheumatoid arthritis is the cause of my spinal degeneration , it's possible had I taken allopurinol from the off I wouldn't be in this state today .
After the sepsis in 2012/2013 a lot of my medication was stopped - I'm convinced that taking 3 diclofenacs a day contributed to my septic shock , I'm convinced it affected my sole kidney that it ceased to work - I was in a coma , on a life support machine and a dialysis machine for over 3 weeks - had I taken allopurinol instead of diclofenac [ now banned ! ] I may well have avoided sepsis .

I'm only going by the 'net but you seem spot on TOMoS, in regarding diclofenac causing your trouble, kidney-wise. In fact it seems that all nsaids such as,
aspirin
celecoxib (Celebrex)
diclofenac (Cambia, Cataflam, Voltaren-XR, Zipsor, Zorvolex)
diflunisal (Dolobid - discontinued brand)
etodolac (Lodine - discontinued brand)
ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil)
indomethacin (Indocin),
can be bad for people with kidney issues.
Paracetamol is much safer in that sense (being careful not to over dose, though), especially for elderlies like Cuenca, but it won't reduce inflammation, of course.
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby vietnammer on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:53 am

Me brother in law has been on crutches with it at times. A typical arrogant builder, I have to laugh. But it's really not nice.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:15 am

vietnammer wrote:Me brother in law has been on crutches with it at times. A typical arrogant builder, I have to laugh. But it's really not nice.

Even having it in your big toe can be painful enough to prevent you from walking - I had it in my instep quite often and one day I had to call our Doctor round to our house as my left knee had swollen like a cricket ball , after humming and arring about whether to come round or not he immediately called for an ambulance which took me to Inverness to have it treated - I can still remember the young female trainee Doctor being a bit squeamish about having to stick this long needle so far into my knee with the Doctor beside her telling her to go further in - about two thirds of a pint of this yellow coloured liquid came out .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby vietnammer on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:23 am

Yeah it's to do with a build up of fluid, sort of acidic piss-stuff isn't it? It is, as said above, genetic and nothing to do with the traditional view of 'port wine and red meat' lifestyle choices. Women are more prone to it, I've been told.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:33 am

vietnammer wrote:Yeah it's to do with a build up of fluid, sort of acidic piss-stuff isn't it? It is, as said above, genetic and nothing to do with the traditional view of 'port wine and red meat' lifestyle choices. Women are more prone to it, I've been told.

A build - up of uric acid crystals in the joints - , I don't remember anyone in my family with gout but there was a long history of heavy drinking on my mother's side - didn't know that women were more prone to gout , I've never known one with the condition .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby DoubleDave on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm on Allopurinol and it doesn't stop me from attacks of gout, currently having one at the moment, but they are a hell of a lot milder then before and don't stop me from living my normal life like they did.
On the subject of hereditary, my old man suffered with gout , as do my 3 brothers.
Something for my son to look forward to.
DoubleDave

Postby Odessa on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:51 pm

I think this is the best place to look.

http://www.ruh.nhs.uk/patients/services ... r_Gout.pdf
Odessa

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:37 pm

DoubleDave wrote:I'm on Allopurinol and it doesn't stop me from attacks of gout, currently having one at the moment, but they are a hell of a lot milder then before and don't stop me from living my normal life like they did.
On the subject of hereditary, my old man suffered with gout , as do my 3 brothers.
Something for my son to look forward to.

Dave - if you have an attack of gout you should STOP taking your allopurinol immediately as it makes an attack of gout worse .
When that happened my Doctor seemed at a loss as to what to give me , he'd give me Naproxen but that drug had no effect on my gout - the drug of choice for gout is Colchicine , a tiny white tablet that works miracles - it can make some folk vomit but has never had any adverse effects on myself .
Talking of Colchicine it may have contributed to my recovery during my septic shock - my body had swollen up like a balloon all over , my hands were like washing up gloves filled with water Jen says [ I was still out at the time ] - this was after 5 weeks when I was considered out of danger apparently the Doctors had tried everything to get the swelling down to no avail , it was Jennie who suggested they tried Colchicine and within 2 days I was passing fluids .
I always keep a few colchicine on standby .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Dover KUMB fan on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:22 pm

2 weeks into the worst gout attack I have had. Always had it in the toe before, but it started on the knee which is proper sore. To make it worse, although the knee has eased off, its now moved to the heel. I can barely put my foot down with it there. So its been Naproxen, Ice & Co-codomol for 2 weeks. I have popped a Allupurinol this morning, but reading the last post, I'm tempted to lay off that. I had a blood test on Friday, & return to the quacks on Wednesday for the results / bollocking.
Totally avoiding the ale for now too.
Dover KUMB fan

Postby EugeneSpeed on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:35 pm

Dover KUMB fan wrote:Totally avoiding the ale for now too.

Is real ale your usual tipple? A mate of mine is a sufferer and realised that brewers yeast really aggravated it. He only drinks lager now which has most of the yeast filtered out and has found that it helps a lot.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/1 ... -and-gout/
EugeneSpeed

Postby Dover KUMB fan on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:20 am

That is just it, I do put a fair bit of real ale away. Funnily enough, a mate has been plying me with his home brew which is very good. However, I would imagine that may be behind this latest bout.
Dover KUMB fan

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:28 am

Dover - ask your Doctor for Colchicine - it'll get rid of your gout in a day or two .

Naproxen couldn't touch my gout .

I gave up drinking 10 years ago , I still get gout but it's VERY rare now , maybe once every 3 years . I take 100mg of Allopurinol per day , down from 200mg per day .

I used to get gout almost every week , it was a nightmare .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Dover KUMB fan on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Cheers TOMOS, it does seem to be on its way out now. Although Naproxen wasn't very effective on me either. (Bring back Diclofenac). However, the quack is going to put me on Allopurinol for good in a few weeks once it totally goes. I would like to think that will be the end of it.
Dover KUMB fan

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug