Speeding Fine - Quick Question

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Speeding Fine - Quick Question

Postby BromleyHammer on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:09 pm

I have received a letter (notice of intended prosecution) that is dated well beyond the 14 day time frame. Does anyone know where I stand here and if I would still face a fine / points?

For information : offence took place on 13/12/2018 and letter is dated 23/01/2019, I was doing 65 in a 50 on the M3 in the average speed check zone. Rather foolish I know as I frequently use that road.
BromleyHammer

Re: Speeding Fine - Quick Question

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:20 pm

If you haven't done so already, visit Pepipoo FAQs

Register on the forum then use the NIP Wizard. Post your question on their forums and see what they say.

Is the car registered in your name? The fourteen day clock (I believe) gets stopped when they contact the registered keeper.

edited for clarity (I hope)
Last edited by Johnny Byrne's Boots on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby FreeWheeling on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:33 pm

your car?
Hire car ?
I think plod get more time if it is not your own private motor
FreeWheeling

Postby Rocketron on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:41 pm

You know you were in the wrong, pay the consequences.
Rocketron

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:42 am

BromleyHammer wrote:I have received a letter (notice of intended prosecution) that is dated well beyond the 14 day time frame. Does anyone know where I stand here and if I would still face a fine / points?

For information : offence took place on 13/12/2018 and letter is dated 23/01/2019, I was doing 65 in a 50 on the M3 in the average speed check zone. Rather foolish I know as I frequently use that road.

What happens after the 14 days?
westham,eggyandchips

Postby sendô on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:35 pm

Send a letter back telling them in no uncertain terms to **** off.

Put some faeces in the letter for good measure.
sendô

Postby BromleyHammer on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:55 pm

^^ nice idea,

Apparently it can’t be legally enforced after 14 days, not sure why that’s the case.
BromleyHammer

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:49 pm

Check JBB's post , good site for finding out of you are in it , or not
FreeWheeling

Postby Smonnie on Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:39 am

If it is a company car, or there are multiple drivers insured to use the car, you can write to them to say you can't be sure who was driving as there are multiple legal candidates, and ask for them to send a photo.

If inconclusive you can try claiming that you don't know who was driving, but that you will continue to investigate.
Smonnie

Postby Samba on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:40 am

BromleyHammer wrote:Apparently it can’t be legally enforced after 14 days, not sure why that’s the case.

Is it your name (as registered keeper) & current address on the cars logbook (V5C)?
If both are, when the offence happened, they have f**ked up by sending you the NIP, far too late, the same way that Beckham got off, last year, when his was only 1 day later, than the 14. Happy days.
If it's got say, another address, you will probably, still be in trouble. The police would be given extra time to send the NIP to your current address, if the address on the logbook, hadn't been updated.
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby IronworksDave on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:33 am

Man up and pay the bloody fine, speed limits are there to protect the public, if you break 'em that's your choice accept the consequences.
IronworksDave

Postby RichieRiv on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:47 am

Smonnie wrote:If it is a company car, or there are multiple drivers insured to use the car, you can write to them to say you can't be sure who was driving as there are multiple legal candidates, and ask for them to send a photo.

If inconclusive you can try claiming that you don't know who was driving, but that you will continue to investigate.

I think they closed this loophole by saying the registered keeper is responsible.
RichieRiv

Postby sendô on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:49 am

IronworksDave wrote:Man up and pay the bloody fine, speed limits are there to protect the public, if you break 'em that's your choice accept the consequences.

65mph on a motorway? :lol:
sendô

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:11 pm

BromleyHammer wrote:I have received a letter (notice of intended prosecution) that is dated well beyond the 14 day time frame. Does anyone know where I stand here and if I would still face a fine / points?

Worth disputing it, David Beckham did and got away with it
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby goa127 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:18 am

The rule is quite simple. The police must contact the registered keeper of the vehicle within 14 days. This will be a notice of intended prosecution asking for the name of the driver. Once they have done this they have complied with the time requirements. If you're the registered keeper then they've missed the boat and you plead not guilty
goa127

Postby Smonnie on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:57 pm

Smonnie wrote:If it is a company car, or there are multiple drivers insured to use the car, you can write to them to say you can't be sure who was driving as there are multiple legal candidates, and ask for them to send a photo.

RichieRiv wrote:I think they closed this loophole by saying the registered keeper is responsible.

Some forces are better administrated than others!
Smonnie

Postby Wembley1966 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:02 pm

sendô wrote:65mph on a motorway? :lol:

It's 50mph limit for a reason. If it's the bit on the M3 where the M25 joins, then you have 3 potentially fast streams of traffic merging into 1, possible all wanting to change lanes. You also have traffic coming down the M3 that suddenly finds itself in the outside lane that might be moving much slower then the inside lanes joining from the M25.
Wembley1966

Postby sendô on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Wembley1966 wrote:It's 50mph limit for a reason.

Yeah, normally a arbitrary one size fits all "roadworks" speed limit that is enforced everywhere regardless of the need for it and actual dangers relating to speed, yet we all wonder why people continually flout these not fit for purpose limits?
sendô

Postby FreeWheeling on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:45 pm

I am reliably informed that the M3 / M25 slip is a 50 zone due to the lanes not being the full width, so unless they widen the lanes, those cameras are there for good
FreeWheeling

Postby Patito on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:59 pm

sendô wrote:Yeah, normally a arbitrary one size fits all "roadworks" speed limit that is enforced everywhere regardless of the need for it and actual dangers relating to speed, yet we all wonder why people continually flout these not fit for purpose limits?

It takes the piss when half the M1 is 50mph and littered with cameras. "Upgrading to a smart motorway" = installing speed cameras to fleece drivers.
Patito

Next

Return to The Snug