What makes someone the nationality that they are?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What makes someone the nationality that they are?

Postby Samba on Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:32 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:As for record-digging, I can think of three examples I know of where I strongly suspect the people who've done it wish they hadn't.

Imagine being related to Hitler..
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby Tenbury on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:13 pm

Samba wrote:
Tenbury is clearly not German despite his funny walk & penchant for women, with hairy armpits..

Are you bloody psychic or what?
Tenbury

Postby Samba on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:17 pm

Tenbury wrote:Are you bloody psychic or what?

:lol:
Tbf, that could apply to a lot of us..
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby yonni on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:39 pm

It’s all a bit confusing. I was born in a nice Surrey village and went to the lical primary school. I thought I was the same as everyone else. Except that teachers couldn’t pronounce my surname and even made jokes about it. My dad was Spanish, Mum was from a London & Essex. My dad’s family are Spanish as far back as at least my great great grandparents. My mums family go back to my great grandparents where we’ve got Scotsman, a Frenchman and a Russian Jewish woman. I live in Scotland with my English (by birth) wife, daughter of two Greek Cypriot parents. Both sons were born in Scotland, meaning that they can play for Scotland, England, Spain or Cyprus. What do I feel? I felt like a foreigner in Surrey, where I was born. Spaniards all treated me like I was Spanish, but I never felt comfortable with the culture having been brought up British. To be honest, I feel more at home in Edinburgh than anywhere I’ve ever lived. Apart from the odd football comment and occasional idiot with a chip in his shoulder, his problem, not mine, I’m staying put. If anything I guess I feel lucky, and European. I’m not getting political, I just find diversity interesting. Treat as you find. Nationality is just a label.
yonni

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:13 pm

I came within a **** hair of being born in France, but fortunately my mother was very ill :? , and she had to return to England which she wasn't pleased about, being Scotch. My Dad was Irish but never encouraged me to pretend I was the same as him. Obviously there was no question of ever thinking I was Scottish, I'd rather have been French.

The Irish connection has come in handy with all this Brexit malarkey mind you and the other passport is on it's way, but I suppose a French connection would have been just as good from that point of view.

I think it's all a load of b*llocks really, as a rule of thumb I go with where a person is born, it's usually neater that way unless you come from yugoslavia.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby The Collector on Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:17 pm

the pink palermo wrote:I think it's all a load of b*llocks really, as a rule of thumb I go with where a person is born, it's usually neater that way unless you come from yugoslavia.

I believe that Steve Potts is a septic, then.
The Collector

Postby Rocket on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:25 am

bubbles1966 wrote:
As for record-digging, I can think of three examples I know of where I strongly suspect the people who've done it wish they hadn't.

https://youtu.be/c65QRaR16io
Rocket

Postby sendô on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:40 am

It's where they grew up really though, isn't it?
sendô

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:02 am

Rocket wrote:https://youtu.be/c65QRaR16io" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As soon as I read Bubble's post that sketch immediately sprung to mind :lol:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby jacko on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:32 am

sendô wrote:It's where they grew up really though, isn't it?

That's what I always thought but I have a few friends who have grown up here with Scottish or Irish parents and they feel split. My mate's dad is scottish and although he has lived here for years he has brought my mate up to support scotland in everything. He's made him proud of his Scottish identity and as a result he likes England but feels Scottish too. I think you're underestimating the effect a patriotic parent can have.
jacko

Postby sendô on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:45 am

Yeah, I'm sure it has an effect, but if he's born and raised in England then he's English, surely, no matter how much he likes deep fried mars bars or heroin?
sendô

Postby jacko on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:00 pm

But not if he's been told everyday by his dad that he's scottish. If I went to live in Mexico and took my kids they would grow up identfying with both cultures. I don't think it's as simple to say what you're saying.
jacko

Postby Moxy on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:08 pm

Yeah that’s me, Irish dad and I support the republic in football-Shoot me down dead for my sins!
Moxy

Postby sendô on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:32 pm

jacko wrote:But not if he's been told everyday by his dad that he's scottish. If I went to live in Mexico and took my kids they would grow up identfying with both cultures. I don't think it's as simple to say what you're saying.

Yeah sure it is, he's English but he identifies as Scotch. Conversely could he be a proper sweaty growning up in england with an english accent?
sendô

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:02 pm

Supporting a country in sport is completely different to what nationality you claim to be.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby prophet:marginal on Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:16 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Supporting a country in sport is completely different to what nationality you claim to be.

Not sure about that.

In fact, I can see quite a clear link, in terms of identification.

I asked my son about this last night. I think he most identifies with being a Londoner, if I am honest; a native of one of history's oldest melting pots...

When I asked if he was British, or English, he just shrugged.
prophet:marginal

Postby V-M on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:17 am

Ive always fancied being Greek. Sit on a beach all day, drink Ouzo and never pay any taxes.
V-M

Postby woodgreenspur on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:20 am

English father ,Irish mother of mixed religious background(i know in most places it has no bearing on your nationality,but in Ireland back then ,it did).As i said ,English father but my 3 times great grand father also came from Ireland(protestant,see my earlier comment) but married an English girl as did his son and Grandson.On my fathers side we also have Romany Gypsy,coming down 2 lines.

I am English British
woodgreenspur

Postby vietnammer on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:30 am

Australopithecine and proud of it!
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:49 am

sendô wrote:It's where they grew up really though, isn't it?

Our Daughter as 2 when we moved to Skye but as with our Son [ who was born in Scotland and has lived in Scotland since ] she grew up speaking the accent of her Mum and Dad [ my accent changed from living in England for 10 years ] - as a result she was picked on at School , called the usual names - This sort of nonsense stays with you hence why she prefers to refer to herself as ' English ' or ' Half Welsh Half English ' when I'm around . :)
The Old Man of Storr

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug