What makes someone the nationality that they are?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What makes someone the nationality that they are?

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:52 am

the pink palermo wrote:I came within a **** hair of being born in France, but fortunately my mother was very ill :? , and she had to return to England which she wasn't pleased about, being Scotch. My Dad was Irish but never encouraged me to pretend I was the same as him. Obviously there was no question of ever thinking I was Scottish, I'd rather have been French.

The Irish connection has come in handy with all this Brexit malarkey mind you and the other passport is on it's way, but I suppose a French connection would have been just as good from that point of view.

So you're Half Sweaty Half Paddy - a fellow Celt - always knew there was something good about you . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:49 pm

vietnammer wrote:Australopithecine and proud of it!

It would certainly explain the hairstyle :lol:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby woodgreenspur on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:05 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Our Daughter as 2 when we moved to Skye but as with our Son [ who was born in Scotland and has lived in Scotland since ] she grew up speaking the accent of her Mum and Dad [ my accent changed from living in England for 10 years ] - as a result she was picked on at School , called the usual names - This sort of nonsense stays with you hence why she prefers to refer to herself as ' English ' or ' Half Welsh Half English ' when I'm around . :)

My mate was born in Edinburgh,to Scottish parents,but lived much of his childhood in Cardiff.He then moved back to Edinburgh and spent the first couple of months being chased round the playground by a group of kids shouting "kill the mad english b*st*rd"...Work that one out?
woodgreenspur

Postby Samba on Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:06 pm

woodgreenspur wrote:My mate was born in Edinburgh,to Scottish parents,but lived much of his childhood in Cardiff.He then moved back to Edinburgh and spent the first couple of months being chased round the playground by a group of kids shouting "kill the mad english b*st*rd"...Work that one out?

They knew it wasn't Scottish & probably just assumed it was English & they already far more enjoy disliking the English, than the Welsh.
The South Welsh accent is also, quite possibly a bit softer than the North Welsh accent.
Having said all that, I also remember English kids giving non-London accents, a hard time.
That's just kids for you. Well, a lot of adults, as well!
Anything different, is an easy target for some.
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby Whitters on Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:38 pm

I was born and brought up in London, to an English Mum and Scottish Dad. I've always felt more English than Scottish as a result, so I'd class myself as that although I do have a soft spot for those 'North of The Wall' and I wore a kilt at my wedding, partly because it looked fantastic.

We've just been approved to become Swiss nationals, in part driven by my 8 year old daughter who was born in Geneva and who, by our blood is quarter English, quarter Scottish and half-Greek, but always says that she is Swiss. She isn't automatically entitled to a Swiss passport just by being born here so has a UK one too and speaks with an English accent (which always impresses those who ask her where she's from, especially Americans).

As much as I love living here it will feel strange to call myself Swiss, although it gives someone decent to cheer on when watching tennis or skiing. It will give me the right to vote in the 16 or so referenda per year ( :shock: ). It also ensures my right to work and visit anywhere in the EU, despite being a non-EU country.

I will be keeping my UK passport and my wife her Greek one, as these are our mother countries and we will never lose that feeling of ultimately belonging to them.
Whitters

Postby The Collector on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:01 pm

With grandparents who are Scottish, English, Welsh and Polish my kids are 100% British. Me? I am 100% East Londoner.
The Collector

Postby Rocket on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:21 am

prophet:marginal wrote:I asked my son about this last night. I think he most identifies with being a Londoner, if I am honest; a native of one of history's oldest melting pots...

When I asked if he was British, or English, he just shrugged.

How old is he?
Rocket

Postby prophet:marginal on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:34 pm

prophet:marginal

Postby Joyeux Marteau on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:38 am

My mum is French (hence the username) and my dad was born in Romford.

I have always identified as French not English but both my brothers say they are British. I'm not really sure why as we were all bought up the same. I think I just threw myself into the history and culture more.

I have also been tempted to get a French passport but I'm not sure if that would be helpful or not.

I would also say if I had to that I'm British and not English, not sure why just preference.
Joyeux Marteau

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:47 am

The Collector wrote:With grandparents who are Scottish, English, Welsh and Polish my kids are 100% British. Me? I am 100% East Londoner.

Silvertaaan . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Rocket on Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:40 am

Joyeux Marteau wrote:I have also been tempted to get a French passport but I'm not sure if that would be helpful or not.

Brexit is coming, I'd definitely get one if I were you.
Rocket

Postby Longaz on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:03 pm

English Mother who’s mother was also born in England but has ancestry in some European country but nobody knows where, Jamaican father who’s grandmother came from Portugal. Nationality wise I’d only ever say I’m English/British. Ethnically English/Jamaican but wherever I go in the world I would say I’m seen as English. Being born in 80’s Canning Town probably influences my mindset in comparison to those with a similar background from places that were more ethnically diverse back then.
Longaz

Postby carlokilkennie on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc all irish, but I was born in Kilburn so i'm English. Oi Oi.
carlokilkennie

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:57 pm

I'm about to get the ball rolling to get French nationality. It will just be a piece of paper as I'll never feel French. Next year I'l have spent over half my life here, though...
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Postby Etonhammer on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:46 am

Similar situation but applying for Citizenship of the Philippines.

I will never be a Pinoy, just can’t be but can be a foreigner who will hold citizenship.

For me the definition of nationality is far more cultural than anything else. Whilst appreciative that this is not the modern interpretation, historically this has been the case.

You can hold a passport and be an active contributor to your country of choice but will never be that nationality.

I think we have it a bit easier in the UK as anyone can be British but not necessarily English (or Welsh or Scottish or NIish) so we have a more overreaching categorisation.

I already pay my taxes on business earnings here but I will never vote once I have citizenship as I don’t think its right for a foreigner to have any input into the (ostensibly) democratic process of the indigenous people.

That way leads to division - see the referendum vote in here in January as a fine example.

Just my opinion of course
Etonhammer

Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter

Postby Tenbury on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 am

Interesting point.^^
My kids' Mum was born in Hammersmith to Italian immigrants, and has dual nationality ( though in truth has spent so much time in Italy, she really identifies herself as primarily Italian), she regularly gets voting forms for her local commune sent through the post!
Aren't Aussies by law, supposed to vote ? How do they get the forms to various Vw vans across the planet?
Tenbury

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:53 pm

english by birth - west ham by the grace of god
psychoscoredthelot

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:29 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:
One's nationality is effectively from where one is born.

One's genetic formulation is effectively from one's parentage.

I'm with Prophetmarginal on this one .

And so by that very argument I am claiming Thomas Edward Lawrence as one of ours - born in Tremadog in the very same County as myself - I proclaim ' Lawrence Of Arabia ' as one of the greatest Welshmen that ever lived .

Yes , I'm watching Lawrence of Arabia just now . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:47 pm

One thing that does annoy me about the film ' Lawrence of Arabia ' was the erroneous reference to Lawrence's nationality as being ' English ' [ from Oxford ] .

Faisal [ Alec Guinness ] - ' You are English , are you not loyal to England ? '

Lawrence [ Peter O'Toole ] - ' To England and to other things ' . - Robert Bolt and Michael Wilson used more than a little ' Artistic Licence ' when they penned the script .

He could have been called Welsh , Scottish or Irish , English he was most definitely not -
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Samba on Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Reminds me of the sketch in 'Goodness Gracious Me', anyone great or important in history? Indian!
Lawrence of Arabia? English!
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug