Wisdom teeth

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Wisdom teeth

Postby brownout on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:56 pm

I’m not sure if it’s a wisdom tooth but the one on the end of my bottom jaw had root canal treatment and a gold crown about 12 years ago. Apparently these doesn’t last forever and for the last few years its given slight aches but until last year nothing to worry about. The dentist always said there was no infection but at last May’s check-up he did an x-ray and said it’s only attached to a bit of bone and will fall out soon, so come back if it gets more troublesome. In September it was hurting so I went back and he wanted to pull it out. I mentioned that it had stopped hurting when I’d had antibiotics earlier that year after injuring my finger and he reluctantly gave me a prescription which stopped the pain after a couple of days. I went for a check-up recently and it said it was ‘ropey’ but didn’t say it needed to come out. Now it’s starting to hurt again and I’ve started taking an old packet of antibiotics (couple of years out of date) which seem to be doing the trick. I know I can’t keep taking antibiotics but with a gap next to it losing the tooth will make eating on that side less easy so I’m keen to prolong its life as long as I can.

About 30 years ago I had a tooth starting to grow at the side of my lower gum at the back of my mouth. The dentist said he’d let it grow a bit more and take it out in 6 months He said it would be a difficult extraction but he thought he could do it without hospital. I dreaded going back but when I did he never mentioned it then, or indeed for the next 15 years that he remained my dentist. It’s still there, serves no purpose, but is out of site and harmless.

Most parts of our bodies seem to cope with people living longer than they used to but teeth don’t seem to do so well. Maybe things will be better for young people but dentistry when we were kids in the 1960s wasn’t up to what it is now.
brownout

Postby Monkeybubbles on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:05 pm

I think I have an infection after last Friday's extraction. I would have imagined the pain would be going away by now, but it's getting worse and worse and my vision's going weird. There was absolutely nothing wrong until the new dentist started hoiking things out as a 'precautionary' measure. KEERRRRRCCCHHHIIIINNNG!

The worst of it is that now they'll charge a fortune to have a go at putting right what I previously paid them a fortune to **** up. KEERRRRRCCCCHHHHIIIIINNNGGGGG! KEEERRRRRRRCCCHHHIIINGGG!.

Approaching 1200 quid and counting, plus a twat's ransom on painkillers. I wish I still took proper drugs.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Bend it like Repka on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:56 pm

And that's why mine are only coming out when it's absolutely necessary....
Bend it like Repka

Postby Samba on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:08 am

brownout wrote:Most parts of our bodies seem to cope with people living longer than they used to but teeth don’t seem to do so well. Maybe things will be better for young people but dentistry when we were kids in the 1960s wasn’t up to what it is now.

I'm convinced some of the bastards back then weren't even qualified. Reckon they just bought the equipment & set themselves up, some of the horror stories that I've heard. Of course, a tooth you could drill & fill & then later, drill & fill again, was the gift that kept on giving.
Dentistry is a lot better now but f**king pricy. Paying is now often, the most painful bit.
Imagine Klopper's dental bills...
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Previous

Return to The Snug